Personal Finance

Question regarding starting EI benefits before allocation period ends.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 12:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 7, 2015
1 posts

Question regarding starting EI benefits before allocation period ends.

Hello everyone -

I have a question regarding the possibility to start EI benefits before allocation period ends. This is my situation:

I was laid-off a few weeks ago, and I received an amount in severance pay. I have applied for employment insurance and my application was processed and accepted. However I was told that there is a "waiting period" of 2 weeks PLUS an "allocation period" of 'X' number of weeks that I must also wait considering that I received earning from severance payments.

I have a large debt that I want to pay using part of the moneys that I received as severance. However this means that I would need to get EI benefits before the allocation period ends. Is this possible? Is there a procedure to request a reduction of the "allocation period" so I can get EI benefits earlier?

Thanks!
R
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4087 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
No, it isn't possible. EI don't care what you plan to use your severance pay for, any severance pay you receive will extend your waiting period (if it was two weeks, then you wait that extra two weeks to get your EI on top of the two week waiting period).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5738 posts
1067 upvotes
Toronto
No, you will received your first EI cheque 2 weeks after your allocation ends.
Feb 26, 2018
12 posts
hi what is the impact on EI payments after waiting period ends if i get pension funds .will my EI payments and the regular benefits will get change .Thanks