• Apr 24th, 2010 3:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
4095 posts
1691 upvotes

Question on the Samsung Impact cell phone

I'm planning to get the Samsung Impact phone. Can someone who is currently using the phone answer this question for me?

I was told by a Bell sale rep that since the Samsung Impact is not a smartphone, when broswing the internet, I may not be able to access some websites. Apparently, the phone can only access websites that have the "mobile" version. Which one of these websites can you access on your phone: Yahoo, Facebook, Gmail, Yellow Page, Weather Network, Mapquest, Google Map?

This is what the phone looks like:
http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/phone ... =allphones

Thanks,
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
^ I am not a user of this phone, but a long time member of HoFo. The bell rep is correct. It is not a smartphone.

Of all the websites you mention, "Yahoo, Facebook, Gmail, Yellow Page, Weather Network, Mapquest, Google Map?" They all have mobile version available, so called baby internet, waterdown internet.

With Mapquest and Google map, you will be shafted the most because, this device has no GPS locationing. Asking your phone for direction is quite useless.

With some application help (Opera browser), you can have full internet. Opera use a compression server to pre-process the data and send to the phone. It's a good alternative and fast.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
4095 posts
1691 upvotes
How do I get the Opera browser? Also, the phone only has 24mb of memory. Do I really need to buy an 8gb extra memory?

Thanks,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)