Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2013
1253 posts
140 upvotes
Markham

Question on Sunshine List

Hi guys,

I thought all government employees should have their salaries reported on the sunshine list if they make over 100K. However, I know a few people who make over that amount, from a few different government employers but not showing up on sunshine list.

Is there a way for employee to only display certain people and not the others?

Cheers
10 replies
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
No, they cannot excluded from the sunshine report.

Perhaps they're on a contract? Which govt employers are u talking about? If theyre on the sunshine list, all employees should also be there.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2008
6048 posts
1945 upvotes
GTA
Also the Ontario sunshine list (some other provinces publish a similar list) does not apply to all provinces (obviously) and to Federal workers. Hydro One employees are no longer on the list due to the partial privatization but there has been talk of changing that.
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
Any chance they work for multiple government employers? For example, a nurse or other healthcare worker working part-time at 2 hospitals can easily make $100000+ (with % in lieu of benefits), but would not be reported because they make under that at each employer.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2013
1253 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
I know someone from city of vaughan and also metrolinx..both of them do make 100K+ and full-time perm too, but its weird that I cannot find their names.. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
4sorjai wrote: I know someone from city of vaughan and also metrolinx..both of them do make 100K+ and full-time perm too, but its weird that I cannot find their names.. :)
Do they maybe work for the organization or could be an agency not subject to the reporting?

Maybe they are blowing smoke and dont make $100g's.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
4sorjai wrote: I thought all government employees should have their salaries reported on the sunshine list if they make over 100K.
- The "Sunshine List" is for Ontario as legislated under the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act, 1996. Other levels of government or provinces could have similar legislation, but obviously you're thinking about this one.
- It's not government specific, but organizations which receive public funding (I don't know how much or what percentage in public funding for salaries to be disclosed). E.g., Agencies, municipalities, hospitals, school boards, universities and colleges.
- Has to be single source salary. E.g., If I'm working two jobs each at $60k (presumably with overtime) for $120k then that's not counted.
- Full time employees only, not contractors or consultants. Employees on fixed term contract are counted because they're full time, albeit not permanent.
- The original goal of the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act was for government transparency, not for witchhunts against people who've worked for 20+ years with ongoing (not necessarily annual depending on your bargaining group) merit increases and overtime pay.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
There could be many reasons not to be on the list - leave, pregnancy, 4 over 5 (that teachers can take)

Similarly, if one was planning for 4 over 5, then chose not to take that 5 year off, the income deferred would be added an the teacher would appear on the list with a significant income i.e. 120% of stated salary
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
clseea wrote: Or maybe they actually don't make enough to be on the list?
People never lie about their salaries!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1809 posts
224 upvotes
GTA
OldMarriedGuy wrote: People never lie about their salaries!
Exactly! I'd bet my $2.1 Million dollar salary on this!

Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
A penny saved, is a penny earned!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)