Parenting & Family

Question: What % of stuff that your kids get is from 'Santa' vs. you?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2011 11:33 am
Nov 20, 2011
7 posts
TORONTO

Question: What % of stuff that your kids get is from 'Santa' vs. you?

This is the first year that my DD understands about Santa and I am not sure how much should be from 'Santa" vs. us? What about xmas stockings?
17 replies
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
All the stuff in the stockings is from Santa (oranges, chocolates, dinky cars etc.). They get one gift from me and 2 or 3 more from Santa. I have a tons of relatives that give gifts so we try not to buy too much.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
For mine, stockings were always from Santa and one large gift is left unwrapped with their stocking from Santa. Any by large gift, I don't necessarily mean the most expensive either but the largest physical gift... Even now at 16,20 and 22 we still do the same. :)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Dec 10, 2006
275 posts
33 upvotes
My little sister was 4 years old when she noticed that mom&dad used the same wrapping paper as Santa.

Don't use the same wrapping paper ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
One gift from Santa and a few stocking stuffers.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
frustrated inc. wrote: My little sister was 4 years old when she noticed that mom&dad used the same wrapping paper as Santa.

Our Santa doesn't supply his own wrapping paper (cutbacks at the North Pole) and thus we leave paper out so that Santa can wrap the gifts when he stops by.

I think Santa gets one or two gifts. One or two from mom and dad, a couple from the pets.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Ours gets one gift from Santa (usually the "better" gift) and one from Mommy and Daddy.
Nov 20, 2011
7 posts
TORONTO
TCWeasel wrote: Our Santa doesn't supply his own wrapping paper (cutbacks at the North Pole) and thus we leave paper out so that Santa can wrap the gifts when he stops by.

I think Santa gets one or two gifts. One or two from mom and dad, a couple from the pets.
LOL too funny. Good point about the wrapping paper. It's all in the details. :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: For mine, stockings were always from Santa and one large gift is left unwrapped with their stocking from Santa. Any by large gift, I don't necessarily mean the most expensive either but the largest physical gift... Even now at 16,20 and 22 we still do the same. :)
+1

That was our approach as well.

Stocking and a ' special ' unwrapped gift ( usually a ' big ' gift as you said ) to the kids was always from Santa - every other wrapped gift under the tree was from family / friends.

Lots of fond memories of being up late Xmas Eve building / putting together some of those ' big ' unwrapped gifts from Santa when the kids were younger. :)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
In my family, gifts from Santa were always wrapped and were not necessarily "big" gifts. We did always have a way of identifying the gift from Santa. It was either not there the night before so we could tell what was added or it had a special tag on it (like we currently do) that we leave for santa to stick on his gift that he is leaving.
Aug 1, 2011
140 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
frustrated inc. wrote: My little sister was 4 years old when she noticed that mom&dad used the same wrapping paper as Santa.

I encountered the same thing when I was young. My parents gift had the same wrapper as that of Santa. Just remembering that instance makes me laugh. :D

Well, usually it is 1 gift from Santa and 1 from mom and dad. :)
Nov 6, 2011
284 posts
86 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
We don't really have a set percentage, but we really, really downplay Santa around here and aren't big on it at all. Currently we have about 10-15 gifts for each child and 2 of those for each kid will be from Santa.
May 22, 2006
320 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
amandavp wrote: We don't really have a set percentage, but we really, really downplay Santa around here and aren't big on it at all. Currently we have about 10-15 gifts for each child and 2 of those for each kid will be from Santa.

wow , can i be adopted.
Nov 6, 2011
284 posts
86 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
redsilk wrote: wow , can i be adopted.

It's really not that much. Almost all of them were bought from liquidation depots and eBay, and I don't think more than 2 or 3 of those gifts were more than $20
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3566 posts
1644 upvotes
Brampton
santa is not real
everythings from daddy and mommy
:razz:
Jun 4, 2007
837 posts
206 upvotes
I know Christmas isn't about gifts.. but we always had lots of gifts under the tree from Santa. And we continue that tradition with our son. It's so much fun, and I don't buy him toys through the year. Most gifts are from Santa and a few from mom and dad. And yes they are like one of the previous posters said.. not expensive. Mostly under $20 per gift. Many under $10.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
19 upvotes
Isn't everything from Santa ? Isn't that the magic of Christmas ?
Mar 1, 2009
332 posts
43 upvotes
Ontario
Sounds like many people follow a similar tradition. One... maybe two, unwrapped gifts which Santa drops off while everyone is sleeping and some stocking stuffers which parents put "boring" stuff and Santa sometimes puts in a small item or two to liven it up. Then usually one gift from the parents and one gift from sibling(s). Santa, of course, always brings the gift on the child(ren)'s Christmas list but the child(ren) is/are only allowed to ask Santa for one.... maybe two things. Any more and then they can't guarantee that they will get it from Santa. Unwrapped gifts have no "paper" issue as mentioned and stocking stuffers can be from Santa or parents but Santa's stocking stuffers are unwrapped as well. I'm mean really with all the toys he has to make, even with elves, who has time to wrap them. ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)