None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17007 posts
140 upvotes
YVR

Questions about Nikon eyeglasses lens

So I recently got a pair of eyeglasses with Nikon 1 lens. I'm wondering what is the difference between the Nikon 1 and 3? I'm assuming there's a 2, but I never heard of anyone using it. Also, does anyone here know how to check for the authenticity of the lens? I don't know where to locate that fog logo that the Nikon website said to look for.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4988 posts
418 upvotes
To check for authenticity, just hold up the lenses to a light and you should be able to see "Nikon" on them. You might have to play around with the angle.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Nikon's are overrated, so as Essilor Crizal if you've heard of 'em. The basic lenses these guys have are fine.

Three main companies:
Nikon, Essilor and Hoya

Aslong as you get a basic lense, scratch coat, antiglare, index of 1.67, you're good to go. Curious, if you mind telling me what your prescription was, and how much you paid for those Nikons.

The logo should be laser printed on the lens. If anyone has progressive lenses, if you hold those up to a light, you can see laser markings with the brand, model, and the ADD of your reading prescription.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3321 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
Nikon 1 is just the regular lens (1.5 index). There is no Nikon 2, but Nikon 3 is 1.6, Nikon 4 is 1.67, 5 is 1.74.

Nikon 3,4,5 are high-index lenses "super thin", and you probably noticed the huge price difference... if you have a low prescription (ie. under 2.00) or really small frames, there's no point in going with the high-index.

And all Nikon lenses come with the Nikon cloth in packaging, so you'll know it's authentic even if you can't find the marking.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17007 posts
140 upvotes
YVR
aquariaguy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 3:26 am
Nikon's are overrated, so as Essilor Crizal if you've heard of 'em. The basic lenses these guys have are fine.

Three main companies:
Nikon, Essilor and Hoya

Aslong as you get a basic lense, scratch coat, antiglare, index of 1.67, you're good to go.
No offence, but I did not ask for your opinion on the brand itself. If you don't like Nikon then fine, but don't attempt to start an argument by making absurd statements like that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17007 posts
140 upvotes
YVR
M@rk wrote:
Nikon 1 is just the regular lens (1.5 index). There is no Nikon 2, but Nikon 3 is 1.6, Nikon 4 is 1.67, 5 is 1.74.

Nikon 3,4,5 are high-index lenses "super thin", and you probably noticed the huge price difference... if you have a low prescription (ie. under 2.00) or really small frames, there's no point in going with the high-index.

And all Nikon lenses come with the Nikon cloth in packaging, so you'll know it's authentic even if you can't find the marking.
The guy at the store gave me two Nikon lens packaging, but no cloth. Does it matter though? I got a lens cloth with the store's logo on it. I figure it's probably going to be sufficient to clean the lens. I guess I'll examine the lens under light tomorrow just to make sure it's the real deal.

My prescription is under 2.0 for both eyes.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3321 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
aquariaguy wrote:

Three main companies:
Nikon, Essilor and Hoya

Aslong as you get a basic lense, scratch coat, antiglare, index of 1.67, you're good to go.

The logo should be laser printed on the lens. If anyone has progressive lenses, if you hold those up to a light, you can see laser markings with the brand, model, and the ADD of your reading prescription.
There's actually a huge difference. IMO Crizal is better than Nikon, but that's just me.

The coating of Crizals (and Nikons etc.) are far superior... if you compare them to normal antiglare lenses, you can tell right away which one has the clearer coating. Also, the antiglare coating of the cheaper lenses wears over time, especially for people who clean their glasses often.

You guys should consider Nikon ICE or Crizal Alize if you can afford them...they have an amazing coating, so stuff doesn't stick and you rarely have to clean your glasses. It's clearer too.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17007 posts
140 upvotes
YVR
Brandon wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 2:13 am
To check for authenticity, just hold up the lenses to a light and you should be able to see "Nikon" on them. You might have to play around with the angle.
I finally got around to trying that and I don't see the "Nikon" logo anywhere regardless of the angle that I was looking at. Where is the logo supposed to be located on the lens? Is the location different amongst the Nikon lens series? I'm a little worried since I don't see the Nikon logo.
Oct 31, 2005
304 posts
4 upvotes
i had these frameless glasses and i had to put nikon 3. the lenses cost like $300...i feel like i got ripped off
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4988 posts
418 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 1st, 2008 1:49 am
I finally got around to trying that and I don't see the "Nikon" logo anywhere regardless of the angle that I was looking at. Where is the logo supposed to be located on the lens? Is the location different amongst the Nikon lens series? I'm a little worried since I don't see the Nikon logo.
It has to be a bright light that you use. If it's a really bright light (LED flashlight), you can see it at all angles (at least on my glasses). It's near the middle, but a little lower on both my pairs of glasses (one is 1.67 and one is 1.74 index).
Feb 17, 2002
909 posts
18 upvotes
Nikon high index might be up to 6 now..

Doesn't Pentax also make high index lenses?
Nov 4, 2006
462 posts
1 upvote
I've heard that the distributors have dropped the prices on their 1.74 index lenses. I went to Greiche and Scaff, and they quoted me $535 for a pair, not including my frames... it just seems like too much.

Anyone know how much these actually go for?
× < >