[OP]
May 7, 2010
485 posts
21 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario

Questions about replacing hd/transfering data on PS4

Hi guys,

I've got:
an old PS4 2TB HD + 500GB extended storage drive.
brand new PS4 Slim 1TB HD
and fyi, also a 64GB fat32 usb drive.

I wanna swap the new 1TB hard drive with the 2TB hard drive from the old ps4. My questions are:
1) I've got many...many, many folders set up on the old ps4. Will backing up the data (to an external hdd) also save (and eventually restore) my folder structure on the new ps4?
2) I've got PT on my old 2TB. Is backup/restore is the best method to ensure i keep PT?
3) Is the "extended storage" drive linked to my old PS4 or my PSN account? And can i have more than 1 extended storage drives?

So I wanna keep the folder structure, PT, and the original 500GB ext storage HD (without formatting). Will my current plan be sufficient? My current plan is to take out the 500GB ext drive from the enclosure and set it aside. Put the 1TB drive from the new PS4 into the enclosure and format. Backup my 2TB into this newly formatted 1TB backup drive. I'll have to delete a few things but will backup the essentials including PT. Then put the 2TB into the new ps4 and format. Restore from the 1TB drive. And if everything works, take out the 1TB hd from the external and put it in the old ps4. Put the original 500GB hard drive into the enclosure and use it as an extended storage on the new ps4.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
4 replies
Jun 16, 2009
567 posts
486 upvotes
I know for 3), you should be able to have as many extended partition drives as you want, its just an external drive formatted to be recognized by your hardware (kind of like a bunch of USB thumb drives). I suppose you could even have several plugged in at once (lol why though).
Can't say for sure about anything else since my drive upgrade was into the same hardware, but if you do a drive backup, I think it swaps it is a whole system, almost like it unregisters your hardware until you finally get the data onto something, if that makes sense. That way you can't have two cloned drives/systems. Probably why its called Backup/RESTORE, right?

When I was looking into upgrading my drive, the internets were saying backup/restore was the ONLY way to save PT. I would assume that it keeps structures intact since my icons/background/settings/data in folders was exactly how I left it before I started. Do remember though, the more data you leave on the drive, the longer the whole process takes. I think mine took about an hour total from 500gb, and I removed some unnecessary stuff first.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
[OP]
May 7, 2010
485 posts
21 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
BernardRyder wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 7:50 am
I know for 3), you should be able to have as many extended partition drives as you want, its just an external drive formatted to be recognized by your hardware (kind of like a bunch of USB thumb drives). I suppose you could even have several plugged in at once (lol why though).
Can't say for sure about anything else since my drive upgrade was into the same hardware, but if you do a drive backup, I think it swaps it is a whole system, almost like it unregisters your hardware until you finally get the data onto something, if that makes sense. That way you can't have two cloned drives/systems. Probably why its called Backup/RESTORE, right?

When I was looking into upgrading my drive, the internets were saying backup/restore was the ONLY way to save PT. I would assume that it keeps structures intact since my icons/background/settings/data in folders was exactly how I left it before I started. Do remember though, the more data you leave on the drive, the longer the whole process takes. I think mine took about an hour total from 500gb, and I removed some unnecessary stuff first.
Well, i guess i'll have to try that. Plus i dont know of any other options. I've done an upgrade before but it was into the same hard drive. And i didnt have to backup or restore anything because I did it as soon as i bought the PS4.

Thanks for the input.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8120 posts
962 upvotes
Victoria
I don't use folders. I probably should, but when I did a restore when I upgraded from a ps4 to a pro, everything as exactly as it was on the backup. It worked pretty good.

My question is when is someone going to make a hard drive bigger than 2tb that fits inside a ps4/ps4pro? I bought my 2tb years ago and it's still the biggest size. I could do external, but I like having less stuff clutter up the tv stand(s). Plus I move the console back and forth between two different rooms, so it's one less thing to move.
[OP]
May 7, 2010
485 posts
21 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
zod wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 8:53 pm
I don't use folders. I probably should, but when I did a restore when I upgraded from a ps4 to a pro, everything as exactly as it was on the backup. It worked pretty good.

My question is when is someone going to make a hard drive bigger than 2tb that fits inside a ps4/ps4pro? I bought my 2tb years ago and it's still the biggest size. I could do external, but I like having less stuff clutter up the tv stand(s). Plus I move the console back and forth between two different rooms, so it's one less thing to move.
So when you did the backup/restore, you didnt have a single folder that you created? Damn!

And so true about the hard drive. I upgraded mine as soon as i got the PS4. Form 500 to 2tb. ( i didnt need to backup for that upgrade hence all these questions now) But yea, now i'm at like 1.5tb plus an external 500GB which i carry around when i go to my friends/family house.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)