None
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
Gigi wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 2:47 pm
Can you actually see this partition? I already did a clean OS install before reading about diskpart but I don't see an extra partition except for "system reserved", which is 99.9MB (with 70.3MB used). I don't mind reformatting and reinstalling again to do diskpart if it's going to be worthwhile in the long run though...just asking.

Also, before I do anything else, I just want to make sure that any other tweaking I need to do (e.g., disable disk defragmenter, turn off hibernation, etc.) can be done after the OS install. And lastly, once everything is setup, can I use the SSD (i.e., C drive) as usual (e.g., install programs, keep My Documents there, etc.)? Thanks.

My mistake, that "system reserved" 200 mb partition is the partition I was talking about. I guess I read it incorrectly as being 200, not 100.

Did you check the alignment for the drive in diskpart? What did it say?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1865 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 3:27 pm

Did you check the alignment for the drive in diskpart? What did it say?
It's rather confusing to me. Physically, I have two original hard drives, plus the new SSD. C and D are actually the same physical drive but partitioned, and K is its own physical drive. F is the System Reserve that I was talking about, and G is the SSD. I am not sure where Volume 1 and 4 came from.

Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
You want to list the partition and look at the offset.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1865 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
OK, I did "list partition" for each drive and here are my results:

I know I shouldn't have included my disk 1 as it's my DVD-ROM, but I am surprised that it had four partitions. And why is disk 7 not valid?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1865 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 5:23 pm
Offsets look great!

So I don't need to do anything? I can just continue to reinstall my programs and make OS adjustments (e.g., disable defragmentation, enable TRIM)?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
Gigi wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 5:56 pm
So I don't need to do anything? I can just continue to reinstall my programs and make OS adjustments (e.g., disable defragmentation, enable TRIM)?

Yes.

BTW, there is no need to enable trlm since it should be enabled during the install process.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1865 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:41 pm
Yes.

BTW, there is no need to enable trlm since it should be enabled during the install process.

Thanks so much for your help! :)
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
Gigi wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:44 pm
Thanks so much for your help! :)

You are welcome. Asking and answering questions is how we all learn :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5369 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Are you sure the SSD didn't come with a bracket? Pretty much every SSD I bought came with one.

If not I suggest you get one for cheap: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5-SSD-HDD-3-5- ... 3374cdfc87

Resting on an existing drive should be a big no-no since the spinning drive will vibrates which could potentially move the SSD out of position. Taping it would prevent it somewhat. But the bigger problem is that by putting the SSD on top of the HDD then the heat doesn't get disspated from the top part of the since the SSD is blocking it. HDD can also goes really hot (as high as 50c+ ) and you wouldn't want the SSD to absorb that heat.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1865 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
number8888 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2012 12:58 pm
Are you sure the SSD didn't come with a bracket? Pretty much every SSD I bought came with one.

If not I suggest you get one for cheap: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5-SSD-HDD-3-5- ... 3374cdfc87

Resting on an existing drive should be a big no-no since the spinning drive will vibrates which could potentially move the SSD out of position. Taping it would prevent it somewhat. But the bigger problem is that by putting the SSD on top of the HDD then the heat doesn't get disspated from the top part of the since the SSD is blocking it. HDD can also goes really hot (as high as 50c+ ) and you wouldn't want the SSD to absorb that heat.
I'm pretty sure it didn't come with a bracket. I got it from BB; I'm not sure if they carry different versions compared to dedicated computer shops.

I ended up sticking it onto one of the spare brackets, so not attached to another drive. Would heat still be a problem? Thanks.
× < >