Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 22, 2008
26 posts
Victoria

Questions from a Boxing Day rookie

Hey all.
This'll be my first Boxing Day pilgrimage and I have a couple questions. I'm heading to Future Shop because there are a few doorcrashers I want and it's the only big BD place near home.

For doorcrashers, I know I can't buy multiples of the same item, but if I want different items, can I do that? The bottom of the FS flyer says "one bonus offer per customer", but I don't know if they mean "of each item" or "in total". Next, how do they usually do the initial rush when they open? Do they go up the line with tickets for each item that has super-limited quantities, or do they just let X number of people in at a time, and whoever gets the doorcrashers first wins? Finally, what time do lineups "usually" form? I assume there will be a couple people there from Christmas evening, but if I want to be, say, in the first 10-20 in line, any guess as to what time I need to be there? I'm in Victoria, if that helps.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!
8 replies
Dec 2, 2008
70 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
It's hard to tell. I remember i went once and they give tickets out to a limited number of people who were already in line. Then they just started to let people in regularly after the first 20 min or so and eventually the place became a mad house. It helps if you know an employee and can squeeze a friend into giving you a ticket even though i don't like that practice but sometimes it's about the people you know who can help you out. In Quebec, we open up at 1:00pm (sometimes 12:30 and these times vary by each province with other provinces opening at 6:00am etc.) which in my opinion defeats the whole boxing day concept since anybody can wake up at 1:00 and move themselves to the store by that time.

As far as lineups, i've seen people at 3:00am on the 26th and before that. If you wanna be top 10 in line, may i suggest Christmas morning or evening? Might sound crazy but there's a lot of crazy people out there who want those items just as bad as you do. Take a friend, bring a car, and alternate turns inside the car to keep yourself warm. As far as items go, to the best of my knowledge,you grab it, it's yours unless it only says one per customer,and if that's true,then bring 2 friends along and take advantage of the one per customer rule.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2768 posts
591 upvotes
Ajax
Specialk85 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 11:51 am
Hey all.
This'll be my first Boxing Day pilgrimage and I have a couple questions. I'm heading to Future Shop because there are a few doorcrashers I want and it's the only big BD place near home.

For doorcrashers, I know I can't buy multiples of the same item, but if I want different items, can I do that? The bottom of the FS flyer says "one bonus offer per customer", but I don't know if they mean "of each item" or "in total". Next, how do they usually do the initial rush when they open? Do they go up the line with tickets for each item that has super-limited quantities, or do they just let X number of people in at a time, and whoever gets the doorcrashers first wins? Finally, what time do lineups "usually" form? I assume there will be a couple people there from Christmas evening, but if I want to be, say, in the first 10-20 in line, any guess as to what time I need to be there? I'm in Victoria, if that helps.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!
Out of interest what door crashers are you interested in because their offerings are pretty crap and most of this stuff can be had at these prices on any given day, depending of course on where you live and how you can wheel/deal.

Lining up, I always drive by on Christmas night when returning from family functions and there are always people there easily from 10pm on Christmas night. Clearly uninformed. And not sure if saving a couple of hundred bucks warrants 8 hours in the deep freeze.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2008
26 posts
Victoria
I'm thinking of the XS kit (25 per store), Shure earbuds (18 per), maybe the Sennheiser $30 headphones (10 per), Norton antivirus, and probably a big handful of DVDs. I own like 5 movies and have several on the "to buy eventually" list, so if they're dirt cheap I might have to load up while I can actually afford them. There's also a chance of picking up some goodies for friends, depending on if they want anything.

The lining up part doesn't really affect me...I usually work until 6am (off BD), so I'm awake at that time anyways. I'm also working Christmas night, so it's not like I'm interrupting anything by being in line.

Any more tips, thanks in advance, and to the replies so far, you are my heroes. Well, maybe I won't go that far, but you're pretty awesome in my books.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2768 posts
591 upvotes
Ajax
Specialk85 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 12:42 pm
I'm thinking of the XS kit (25 per store), Shure earbuds (18 per), maybe the Sennheiser $30 headphones (10 per), Norton antivirus, and probably a big handful of DVDs. I own like 5 movies and have several on the "to buy eventually" list, so if they're dirt cheap I might have to load up while I can actually afford them. There's also a chance of picking up some goodies for friends, depending on if they want anything.

The lining up part doesn't really affect me...I usually work until 6am (off BD), so I'm awake at that time anyways. I'm also working Christmas night, so it's not like I'm interrupting anything by being in line.

Any more tips, thanks in advance, and to the replies so far, you are my heroes. Well, maybe I won't go that far, but you're pretty awesome in my books.
The headphones can be had on Ebay for that or less. The other stuff, you had better be there since those unit numbers are tiny. Head there at 10pm Xmas night and see what is happening.
Jun 8, 2008
476 posts
46 upvotes
Here's another question, I bought the Insignia Blu-Ray at FS for my father in law the other day for $149.99. If I print out the BB flyer showing it for $99.99 and take it in TODAY, will FS price match? or does it have to be a current ad?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3816 posts
647 upvotes
hamudm wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 3:15 pm
Here's another question, I bought the Insignia Blu-Ray at FS for my father in law the other day for $149.99. If I print out the BB flyer showing it for $99.99 and take it in TODAY, will FS price match? or does it have to be a current ad?
Sorry, no they won't price match, and yes it needs to be current.

These are door-crashers. They're meant to draw people to the store on Boxing Day.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1428 posts
184 upvotes
Winnipeg
they won't pricematch.
you'll have to buy it again for 99, and then return it with your old bill for 149