Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver

Questions on CM10.1 and Galaxy S3 in General

Hello all, I just came home with a brand new, unlocked GS3 from Rogers. I chose this instead of the N4 because the N4 is manufactured by LG.

Having turned on the phone, I just can't stand Samsung's Touch Wiz. So I looked around and found something called Cyanogenmod 10. This mod can change the whole S3 interface to look like Android 4.1, which I am a huge fan of.

Anyone try this with their S3? I would love some input and reviews. Is it safe? Does it work with Rogers? When will Jelly Bean come out for Rogers?

Thanks. I may have more questions.
141 replies
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
Cyanogenmod is excellent. I used in my S2. I have the S3 myself, and haven't got around to rooting. Jelly bean should roll out in all providers very soon.. My guess is two weeks max.
Oct 23, 2007
155 posts
how did you get an unlocked one from rogers? i've just got one also a couple of days ago thru bestbuy mobile and its locked to rogers. i asked if they unlock and said no.

congrats anyways!

LegobrandonCP wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 1:23 am
Hello all, I just came home with a brand new, unlocked GS3 from Rogers. I chose this instead of the N4 because the N4 is manufactured by LG.

Having turned on the phone, I just can't stand Samsung's Touch Wiz. So I looked around and found something called Cyanogenmod 10. This mod can change the whole S3 interface to look like Android 4.1, which I am a huge fan of.

Anyone try this with their S3? I would love some input and reviews. Is it safe? Does it work with Rogers? When will Jelly Bean come out for Rogers?

Thanks. I may have more questions.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1741 posts
335 upvotes
Mississauga
Its safe.

Its mostly stable. Not all devices are created equal.

Jelly bean for rogers is expected in December.

As mentioned AOKP is a good alternative. I found that I was only able to flash AOKP with TWRP, and CM10 with CWM.

Good luck, and watch/read guides.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43215 posts
3038 upvotes
Toronto
tma888 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 2:40 am
how did you get an unlocked one from rogers? i've just got one also a couple of days ago thru bestbuy mobile and its locked to rogers. i asked if they unlock and said no.

congrats anyways!
Buy an unlock code, They vary from $8-$15 for Rogers.
Apr 8, 2006
877 posts
96 upvotes
Rooted my S3 within 5 minutes of unboxing it and installed CM10 after a few days I was curious to test out all the features advertised in the stock S3, so reverted back to Samsung stock rom. I find some of the features useful. But in terms of battery life CM10 is about 30% better. Also you have a lot of options to control your phone. But you lose all the software that makes the s3 a "cool" phone, but I am sure they are somewhere online to be downloaded.
Dec 23, 2007
325 posts
3 upvotes
Where did you buy your phone? I want to buy a S3 outright. Im in toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
octapuss wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 8:28 am
Where did you buy your phone? I want to buy a S3 outright. Im in toronto.
Rogers Store :P
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks all for the replies. I will have to watch many tutorials since I know next to nothing about rooting and all the other things you said about customizing the phone. :D LOL
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13203 posts
1087 upvotes
Montreal
You can just install Nova Launcher if you don't want to flash a new ROM.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 1:23 am
I chose this instead of the N4 because the N4 is manufactured by LG.
/facepalm
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Jun 4, 2011
143 posts
30 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
desidealer49 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 11:42 am
/facepalm
It's a valid point... it's not THE most pertinent point (could've used other factors like lack of microsd slot or nonremovable battery) but LG has a pretty lousy history with android devices. It's already been confirmed that at certain thresholds the N4 throttles back due to thermal limits, and my guess is that you could actually hit these limits with 'normal' use: using your N4 as a car gps on an hour long trip and maybe having it play music at the same time would make it pretty toasty, and that's a pretty basic use for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
^ hmm those are more valid reasons. But given my experiences and history with Samsung, I should have never bought their phones again and yet I gave them a chance.

Also the phone that gave Samsung the most benefit, the galaxy s2, was known to be a toaster. Yet tons of people still buy those.

Samsung just seems to be getting a pass nowadays as they are enjoying being the "apple" in android community. If it is made by Samsung, suddenly it is the best. Mimics the cult following that people accuse of apple buyers.
× < >