get AOKP :)

Re: Questions on CM10.1 and Galaxy S3 in General

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 9:19 pm
by THINKPADT61
Will S3 get Jelly Bean 4.2?

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 9:37 pm
by LegobrandonCP
THINKPADT61 wrote: Will S3 get Jelly Bean 4.2?
Well 4.1 hasn't even been released yet so don't count on seeing 4.2 anytime soon...

Posted: Nov 18th, 2012 1:15 am
by number84
LegobrandonCP wrote: Well 4.1 hasn't even been released yet so don't count on seeing 4.2 anytime soon...
+1 don't hold your breath.

Posted: Nov 18th, 2012 10:08 am
by mr_raider
LegobrandonCP wrote: Well 4.1 hasn't even been released yet so don't count on seeing 4.2 anytime soon...
The i9300 got 4.1 a few weeks ago. The Snapdragon version cant be far behind.

Posted: Nov 18th, 2012 12:50 pm
by LegobrandonCP
mr_raider wrote: The i9300 got 4.1 a few weeks ago. The Snapdragon version cant be far behind.
I have the i747.

Posted: Nov 18th, 2012 12:51 pm
by LegobrandonCP
Anyone know a good case and screen protector for my S3? I know the SpeigenSGP stuff is pretty good and I've always loved Speck's cases, though they are a bit expensive. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Posted: Nov 18th, 2012 1:02 pm
by Jimboski
LegobrandonCP wrote: Anyone know a good case and screen protector for my S3? I know the SpeigenSGP stuff is pretty good and I've always loved Speck's cases, though they are a bit expensive. Any recommendations would be helpful.
You get what you pay for.

Posted: Nov 22nd, 2012 10:57 am
by LegobrandonCP
After using the phone for about a week now, I have realized the battery sucks on this phone. 100% when I leave the house and 1 hour later, the battery will have drained to about 90%. And I didn't even use the phone! My brightness is on medium and I even disabled S Voice. Although, I still have a live wallpaper installed. What else could be draining my battery?

Posted: Nov 22nd, 2012 11:07 am
by bembol
I got 6-7 hours, didn't have to disable S-Voice. It's the Live Wallpaper, also enable the Auto Brightness.

Posted: Nov 22nd, 2012 11:50 am
by desidealer49
LegobrandonCP wrote: After using the phone for about a week now, I have realized the battery sucks on this phone. 100% when I leave the house and 1 hour later, the battery will have drained to about 90%. And I didn't even use the phone! My brightness is on medium and I even disabled S Voice. Although, I still have a live wallpaper installed. What else could be draining my battery?
Live wallpapers are generally battery hogs and useless IMO.

Is your GPS always on? I unchecked GPS, and checked "use mobile networks for location data" instead. Using navigation or other location apps was still fine as the accuracy was spot on, but my phone didn't drain so much because GPS chips use lots more power than wifi/cellular radios.

Also Settings > Applications > All> choose applications you consider bloat/don't use and disable them all.

With this, i got a solid 6 hours of screen time every single charge which included 2 days standby as well.

The performance and battery life of this phone really is great though, i didn't even care about "project butter" on JB as the ICS 4.0.4 was still blazing fast. Too bad the build quality disappointed me.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 2:52 am
by LegobrandonCP
Thanks for the replies! I have enabled auto brightness, disabled bloat apps and removed my live wallpaper. Btw, my GPS is always off since I am on rogers pay as you go (I know, such a good phone on prepaid) and I'm afraid GPS will use data.

Ps. Btw, does anyone know how much it would cost me to use data in pay as you go? Something simple like loading rfd.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 9:05 am
by Agafaba
time to visit/call in to rogers if you got that phone on a 3 year plan, some large sales going on now. Rogers is currently selling it for $80 and futureshop/bestbuy have it for $0

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 7:05 pm
by Irbe
Bell is doing 0 dollars with 3 year. I did a upgrade this morning - with Rogers. Did it and called back for them to match Bell. Got phone for free. Going from iPhone o galaxy. Stoked.

Posted: Nov 24th, 2012 9:59 pm
by LegobrandonCP
Any other Pay as You Go users getting calls from 1-866-435-7960? The guy is calling me once everyday and it's getting pretty annoying. After a quick Google search I find out that it is a Roger telemarketing company or something. I don't know how to stop them from calling me. :(

Posted: Nov 24th, 2012 10:07 pm
by Evil Baby
LegobrandonCP wrote: Any other Pay as You Go users getting calls from 1-866-435-7960? The guy is calling me once everyday and it's getting pretty annoying. After a quick Google search I find out that it is a Roger telemarketing company or something. I don't know how to stop them from calling me. :(
There are a few options. If you're not rooted you can download a call block app, or simply add the phone number to one of your contacts and set it to go directly voicemail. I have a contact in my list set as "BullS***" and all the annoying calls I get I put into that contact.

There is also a more powerful tool you can use if you have root.

Root call block

Posted: Nov 30th, 2012 1:08 am
by LegobrandonCP
What is the best guide for rooting my Rogers i747 S3? I've searched on XDA and YouTube but there were so many different results I don't know which one is reliable.

I have also decided that instead of installing CM10, I'm gonna take it easy and just install either APEX or NOVA. Remember, this is my first Android device and my first time rooting. I just hope I don't brick it (I jinxed myself) ;-)

EDIT: Also, NOVA vs APEX launcher?

Posted: Nov 30th, 2012 2:49 am
by Jimboski
LegobrandonCP wrote: What is the best guide for rooting my Rogers i747 S3? I've searched on XDA and YouTube but there were so many different results I don't know which one is reliable.

I have also decided that instead of installing CM10, I'm gonna take it easy and just install either APEX or NOVA. Remember, this is my first Android device and my first time rooting. I just hope I don't brick it (I jinxed myself) ;-)

Just look at the thread that has the most replies/views for a rooting guide. I would think It would be pretty hard to brick your phone via Rooting.
Nova Launcher IMO.

Posted: Nov 30th, 2012 6:49 am
by Evil Baby
LegobrandonCP wrote: What is the best guide for rooting my Rogers i747 S3? I've searched on XDA and YouTube but there were so many different results I don't know which one is reliable.

Personally I used this thread about 2 weeks ago, however I think there is a rootkit out there that makes it super easy. Basically install and press 3 or 4 numbers. Either method should work

Posted: Nov 30th, 2012 9:02 am
by RFDQ1016
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Nova hands down.