• Sep 15th, 2012 8:10 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto

Questions on how to sell a cellphone through Craigs, etc

(I did a search but couldn't find anything that answered my questions, aside from this thread of 2 years ago: selling-cellphone-ok-provide-serial-pot ... er-862973/ if there's a better thread please report and merge)

I have a BNIB, never used smartphone + accessories that I wish to sell. What are some steps I can take to ensure a hassle free transaction?
Do I provide the serial #?
The IMEI #?
Is it reasonable to expect a buyer to pop in their SIM to make a test call or is powering up the phone and verifying some basic functionality sufficient? (all the plastic coverings are still intact so I wouldn't want it to be manhandled too much while someone is kicking the tires so to speak)

The only safe guards I can think of is meeting in a public place during the day and providing as much info + pics in the ad.

Any tips and best practices will be appreciated. Thank you.
Be kind and civil with one another
9 replies
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Hire a syndicate for protection.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
I find kijiji better than craiglist.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
If BNIB and still sealed in plastic, you give the box for the cash and walk away. If they open it, it goes down in value. The buyer has a caveat as much as the seller does with counterfeit money with the amount you would be selling for.

Make sure the exchange is done in a public setting that is not too large. I recommend inside a Tim Hortons or similar type of establishment. It's a public place, and it's small enough to prevent an ambush or grab-and-run.

Most people I have dealt with are considerate and genuine. You just can't be too trusting now in days.

Good luck.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
MadCow wrote: If BNIB and still sealed in plastic
Well the box itself isn't sealed (I guess that's how some phones/electronics are sold. Reminds me of the Wii which didn't even have plastic tape to cover the flap) but the phone itself has the plastic wrap to protect the screen, etc.
Make sure the exchange is done in a public setting that is not too large. I recommend inside a Tim Hortons or similar type of establishment. It's a public place, and it's small enough to prevent an ambush or grab-and-run.
Good tip, thank you.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2010
1102 posts
350 upvotes
Montreal
I made a separate email address for kijiji/craigslist ads, buying or selling it gets annoying when you have a ***** ton of people trying to contact you/lowball you.
I do all bargaining by email. Alot of times people will be like "omg i want it can we meet up" and after you give them your number they lowball you at 50% your asking price. So I don't bother giving out my number and do all negotiations by email before setting up a meet.

One time I had some girl demand a refund on an iPhone 4 that I sold her (it was working perfectly, save for home button sensitivity which I outlined in the advertisement). She was harassing me on my phone number using a couple different numbers and found my facebook via the kijiji ad so that was the reason for a separate email address.

Also, if I can help it, I don't give out my phone number. I block my caller ID and get their number for a meeting point (pick a spot in public like a tim hortons downtown or something. You'll need to sit down)
When I sold it my phone (however it wasn't BNIB), I tell them to test out the wifi, calling, speaker, vibration, home button, sound. But BNIB shouldn't really have that issue.

Keep in mind alot of them, after liking the phone and testing it out, will ONCE AGAIN try a last minute lowball discount. Up to you if you feel like dealing with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote: Well the box itself isn't sealed (I guess that's how some phones/electronics are sold. Reminds me of the Wii which didn't even have plastic tape to cover the flap) but the phone itself has the plastic wrap to protect the screen, etc.
Then in this case, it would be reasonable for the buyer to turn on the phone and ensure it powers up. Do not let him remove any plastic coverings until he or she hands you the money.

With respect to the transaction, if you can have someone nearby that you know (e.g. a friend or family member), at the table next to you or two tables over, it would give you that extra security and peace of mind on your part.

As wongbr mentioned, be sure you confirm your deal over the phone/email before meeting.

To be honest, I have lowered my offer as a buyer to sellers upon inspecting the item; however, I had just reason. The condition of the item wasn't as described, or I found out something that wasn't disclosed that lowered the value. So be honest with the buyer about everything you know about the condition and product.

You should be good to go.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
Keigotw wrote: I find kijiji better than craiglist.
Depends where you live I guess. I know in Ontario Kijiji is definitely better, but I hear out west, no one really uses it and they use craigslist
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
MadCow wrote: Then in this case, it would be reasonable for the buyer to turn on the phone and ensure it powers up.
what about testing with their sim? any danger there? (just trying to think of possible scenarios). also do i expose myself to fraud if i give out the imei #?
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
There is no need to provide the IMEI prior to the meet. Any buyer that demands it is to be treated with caution. There really is no immediate concern for fraud, but knowledge of the IMEI should not affect someone's decision to buy the phone. If someone wants to verify the phone, you can provide the model number code (Part number or P/N for some phones).

If the buyer demands to try his SIM, you be the one to put it in the phone, or be sure you have the money in hand at that point. Hopefully the plastic does not have to be removed in order to access the SIM tray/slot.

It's always good to be prepared for these situations when you are new. You never know what could come of it. As long as you take all precautions on your part, you will be safe.