• Jul 4th, 2006 7:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30860 posts
5695 upvotes
Ottawa
Eli wrote:You're clouding the issue more than anything else, what with reference to 24 volts and bizzare procedures to hook up and start the vehicles. Hooking up half of the circuit, starting the good vehicle, then hooking up the other half straight to the battery.... There's so many problems with that idea that I'm not sure where to start. And 24 volts? Unless someone is going from positive on one battery to negative on the other, totally ignoring the colour coding on the jumpers and the polarity signs on the batteries, that just isn't going to happen. And the reason to hook up to bare metal instead of the battery is because the fnail conection may create a spark as the dead circuits that are usually always on are energized on the dead car. You do NOT want this spark at the terminal of a discharged battery.

Please, don't create more problems. If you're unsure of how to do this yourself then don't post opinions or assumptions, someone's vehicle may be in jeopardy.
Posts 4 and 8 are valid. I am sure of what I am saying that is why I left links verifying exactly what I was saying. Responding to others is exactly what a forum is for. Trying to leave valid information is key, hence the links so I believe that there was no opinion or assumption. When I have made an error or am corrected I accept and have apologized. There may be more information than required for some but there are persons here who do not have any knowledge and sometimes the strings get long trying to explain, and yes, opinions and assumptions may come into play. Correcting these without interjecting opinion is important.
The clouding comes from interpertation without reading. No ones' vehicle will be in jeopardy if the instructions are followed.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11091 posts
1581 upvotes
RFD
cipher wrote:The danger in connecting the negative from the live car to the dead car is that you've completed 1/2 the circuit. Since the entire car is basically connected to negative of the battery, any metal that the positive clamp of the booster touches completes the other 1/2 of the circuit. Even if it's a poor contact it comes into, you will get one hell of a spark and possible damage the battery of the other vehicle. The proper procedure is to connect the positive first. Once the positive is connected, the only way to short out the battery with the negative clamp is to touch the positive of either battery.

Your advice to connect the negative terminals first is extremely dangerous.
cipher is correct. I do it the way he already explains it.

Energy flows from the postive to negative in automotive applications. This is what Ive been told...So I dunno if its correct.