• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2019 7:21 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
470 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga

Questrade New A/C - Initial 10 K - Which Stocks

Just opened my Questrade account and would like to start with investing 10 K in stocks.

I was thinking of buying few bank stocks and zen ridge as long term investments

Any suggestions?
31 replies
Aug 17, 2013
538 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
If you're asking on a random internet forum... you might as well pull stocks out of a hat.

Buy GIC's if you want guaranteed returns.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
470 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
orianna wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 2:32 am
If you're asking on a random internet forum... you might as well pull stocks out of a hat.

Buy GIC's if you want guaranteed returns.
Well I never treated RFD as “Random Internet Forum”.

I have got many very good actionable advice from RFD in the past which helped me to decide. In my post, I never said that I will decide based on advice I will get here but surely it does help to get different perspectives.

Thanks anyway. Happy browsing this random Internet forum Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Oct 14, 2012
622 posts
334 upvotes
Woodstock
Have you read through RodBarc's dividend investing thread? It has interesting suggestions.

10k is very small for buying individual stocks. If you're risk tolerant enough, you might want to buy just 1 bank stock in a standard lot size (100 shares) and 1 lower-priced stock. But it will require nerves of steel because whatever you pick may very well drop 50% in value for a while before working its way back up.

Personally, I will probably pick up some more CM (good dividend right now) in my TFSA. But I know it could go down even more with all of this economic woe-is-me junk going on. My Mom still owns the CM shares her Mom bought--I would be buying with the same general idea of leaving it to my kids in my will. With that kind of plan, it doesn't matter much if it bounces like a rubber ball during the next 30 years....

Don't rush to decide what to buy. And never be afraid to sell and lock in a profit. Very few people are sorry to lock in a 20% gain, even if a stock continues to climb to a 30 or 40% gain--because there's no guarantee it *will* climb.....
Oct 31, 2014
211 posts
84 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
put all 10k into XGRO.to and forget about it.
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
SheaButters wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 5:23 pm
put all 10k into XGRO.to and forget about it.
Holding cash during early 2019 is not a bad strategy too. Especially we are heading to a bear market.

If I had to enter the market right now...I would divide the $10k to 3 or 4 times and invest $2.5~3k quarterly or depending on the market condition.
Last edited by Jackson75 on Jan 6th, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1509 posts
99 upvotes
Jackson75 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:50 pm
Holding cash during early 2019 is not a bad strategy too. Especially we are heading to a bear market.

If I had to enter the market right now...I would divide the $10k to 3 or 4 times and invest $2.5~3k quarterly or depending on the market condition.
Attempting to time the market doesn't work. The only reason the OP should split the investment up over time is psychological as a new investor might be skittish and pull the money if the market dips.
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
luthair wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:04 pm
Attempting to time the market doesn't work. The only reason the OP should split the investment up over time is psychological as a new investor might be skittish and pull the money if the market dips.
Just to clarify. Holding cash temporary within 30-45 days.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2561 upvotes
Toronto
$10K is not much, to try to buy individual stock(s). OP should find a lower MER ETF to buy, and leave it for long term.
Jackson75 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:50 pm

Bad advise to try to time the market.
Jackson75 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:37 am
Just to clarify. Holding cash temporary within 30-45 days.
Bad advise to try to time the market, especially giving some time line of what you believe the market will do in 30-45 days.
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
“Here comes the reversal of last year's flight to cash. Investors pulled $745 million yesterday from Vanguard's $27.2 billion short-term bond ETF, the fund's biggest one-day withdrawal in its history. $BSV”

#Follow the trend
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
470 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Jackson75 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:12 am
“Here comes the reversal of last year's flight to cash. Investors pulled $745 million yesterday from Vanguard's $27.2 billion short-term bond ETF, the fund's biggest one-day withdrawal in its history. $BSV”

#Follow the trend
Is this isolated incident or a trend
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7847 posts
4802 upvotes
buy a good dividend etf.
Dec 1, 2006
104 posts
12 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:17 pm
buy a good dividend etf.
good idea- any recommendations
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Arrgh wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:11 am
$10K is not much, to try to buy individual stock(s). OP should find a lower MER ETF to buy, and leave it for long term.

Bad advise to try to time the market.

Bad advise to try to time the market, especially giving some time line of what you believe the market will do in 30-45 days.
I lol’d at your comment. A lot of smart traders are holding cash, bond or gold right now. S & P 500 will go down even further after the recent short term rally with no catalyst to boost the US economy . Eurozone is deteriorating and with Brexit uncertainty. With the poor Q4 stock performance, a lot of people will see their stock portfolio reduce by 15-20%... which impact their wealth effect... liquidity in the market is going to cause a huge problem in 2019 and it’s key to pay attention!!! I just hate to see OP jump into the market and then see your hard earn $ go underwater...

Come back in two months and then see who is giving bad advice. Mark your calendar!
Last edited by Jackson75 on Jan 12th, 2019 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.