• Mar 28th, 2019 7:21 pm
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
vivmk20 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:14 pm
Is this isolated incident or a trend
If that much $$$ take out from the system, what does that tell ya?
Nov 17, 2016
79 posts
33 upvotes
$10,000 is a great place to start with individual stocks. You can split it into 2 or 3 companies and watch as they grow or shrink and maybe get some dividends too.
Don't listen to everyone telling you it's not enough or that the markets are about to sell off. Start now with with the expectation that even if you lose a little short-term it will make you more experienced.

The trend I'm seeing is a lot of money is moving into the Canadian markets right now due to RSP, tfsa contributions. S&P500 might be going down due to the Federal Reserve selling its assets.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
470 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Jackson75 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:42 am
I lol’d at your comment. A lot of smart traders are holding cash, bond or gold right now. S & P 500 will go down even further after the recent short term rally with no catalyst to boost the US economy . Eurozone is deteriorating and with Brexit uncertainty. With the poor Q4 stock performance, a lot of people will see their stock portfolio reduce by 15-20%... which impact their wealth effect... liquidity in the market is going to cause a huge problem in 2019 and it’s key to pay attention!!!

Come back in two months and then see who is giving bad advice. Mark your calendar!
Done. Will come back after 2 months
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
Jackson75 wrote:
I lol’d at your comment. A lot of smart traders are holding cash, bond or gold right now. S & P 500 will go down even further after the recent short term rally with no catalyst to boost the US economy . Eurozone is deteriorating and with Brexit uncertainty. With the poor Q4 stock performance, a lot of people will see their stock portfolio reduce by 15-20%... which impact their wealth effect... liquidity in the market is going to cause a huge problem in 2019 and it’s key to pay attention!!! I just hate to see OP jump into the market and then see your hard earn $ go underwater...

Come back in two months and then see who is giving bad advice. Mark your calendar!
Are you saying there is no upside for particular stocks or just don't buy the index?

Who exactly are the smart traders in your opinion?
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:35 am
Are you saying there is no upside for particular stocks or just don't buy the index?

Who exactly are the smart traders in your opinion?
Buy dividend growth stocks (cdn energy stocks that have beaten up last few months)

No FAANG stocks, buy gold and pay attention to biotech stocks!!! Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2561 upvotes
Toronto
Jackson75 wrote:
I lol’d at your comment. A lot of smart traders are holding cash, bond or gold right now. S & P 500 will go down even further after the recent short term rally with no catalyst to boost the US economy . Eurozone is deteriorating and with Brexit uncertainty. With the poor Q4 stock performance, a lot of people will see their stock portfolio reduce by 15-20%... which impact their wealth effect... liquidity in the market is going to cause a huge problem in 2019 and it’s key to pay attention!!! I just hate to see OP jump into the market and then see your hard earn $ go underwater...

The stock indices on 2019.1.11 are
On 2019.1.11
DOW Jones; 23,995.95
S&P 500; 2,596.26
NASDAQ; 6971.48
TSX 500 ; 14939.18;

Today at closing they are:
DOW Jones; 25,650.88
S&P 500; 2,783.30
NASDAQ; 7,558.06
TSX 500 ; 16,106.24;

They are up around 7 or 8%. For those not investing during this time and holding cash at the sidelines, they missed out on a rally.

If we had gone back to Jan. 6, 2019 the day Jackson75 first talked about timing the market, the market was even lower that day, and the rally would be higher as of today.

Next time you like to advise people to time the market, and wanting to laugh at people, be ready to be laughed at instead.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1050 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
Timing the market doesn't work.

Those who sold late last year or early this year, to hold cash, are the ones missing out on the rally since that time. Those who stayed invested, are the ones benefitting from the gains.
May 10, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Jackson75 wrote:

Your comment aged so poorly... It's been 2 months and the S&P is still going up
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
470 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
vivmk20 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:14 am
Done. Will come back after 2 months
Jackson75 - Would be very interesting to know your comments now
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3474 posts
1202 upvotes
Quebec
Honestly, he could have been right. unfortunately, this time he was wrong. but if he keeps saying that, he'll end up being right one day.

in any case, no one can predict the stock market.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5662 posts
1542 upvotes
Scarborough
Arrgh wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 4:48 pm
The stock indices on 2019.1.11 are
On 2019.1.11
DOW Jones; 23,995.95
S&P 500; 2,596.26
NASDAQ; 6971.48
TSX 500 ; 14939.18;

Today at closing they are:
DOW Jones; 25,650.88
S&P 500; 2,783.30
NASDAQ; 7,558.06
TSX 500 ; 16,106.24;

They are up around 7 or 8%. For those not investing during this time and holding cash at the sidelines, they missed out on a rally.

If we had gone back to Jan. 6, 2019 the day Jackson75 first talked about timing the market, the market was even lower that day, and the rally would be higher as of today.

Next time you like to advise people to time the market, and wanting to laugh at people, be ready to be laughed at instead.
Lol exposed. That's why you can't just listen to one poster, read a multitude of posters and make/form your own opinions.

No one knows where the market will be tomorrow, next month or even next year, but a majority know that time in the market is much better than timing the market.
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
vivmk20 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 9:25 pm
Jackson75 - Would be very interesting to know your comments now
Apologize for being a bit too cocky with the 2 month prediction. Yes some of you are right, I shouldn't time the market but I am going to stick with my game plan.

What I suggested to OP earlier is below... Yes some of you argue that indexes are up...What I said to enter the market gradually and play it safe. I did not say to hold cash and do nothing. Good for those short term traders that made some quick $$$ but remember it's a marathon not a sprint especially for those are new to investing. Understand the business cycle is important to be able to survive in this financial environment.

My bonds and energy stocks are doing fine since two months ago and i sleep very well. Chill-ax guys!

1) "Buy dividend growth stocks (cdn energy stocks that have beaten up last few months)"
2) "If I had to enter the market right now...I would divide the $10k to 3 or 4 times and invest $2.5~3k quarterly or depending on the market condition."
3) "A lot of smart traders are holding cash, bond or gold right now. S & P 500 will go down even further after the recent short term rally with no catalyst to boost the US economy " $IEF, $TLT
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
470 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Jackson75 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:40 pm
Apologize for being a bit too cocky with the 2 month prediction. Yes some of you are right, I shouldn't time the market but I am going to stick with my game plan.

What I suggested to OP earlier is below... Yes some of you argue that indexes are up...What I said to enter the market gradually and play it safe. I did not say to hold cash and do nothing. Good for those short term traders that made some quick $$$ but remember it's a marathon not a sprint especially for those are new to investing. Understand the business cycle is important to be able to survive in this financial environment.

My bonds and energy stocks are doing fine since two months ago and i sleep very well. Chill-ax guys!

1) "Buy dividend growth stocks (cdn energy stocks that have beaten up last few months)"
2) "If I had to enter the market right now...I would divide the $10k to 3 or 4 times and invest $2.5~3k quarterly or depending on the market condition."
3) "A lot of smart traders are holding cash, bond or gold right now. S & P 500 will go down even further after the recent short term rally with no catalyst to boost the US economy " $IEF, $TLT
Person With Folded HandsGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Your third point is again prediction but with no time frame so yes this you will be right one day

But I agree with you that One should invest regularly and small amounts