Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1282 posts
14 upvotes

Questrade's Power Trading Workshop

Hi,
I received a letter in the mail from Questrade inviting me to a free Power Trading Workshop. I don't trade that much, maybe once a month right now, and that's mostly cause I lack experience. So I was thinking about doing it.

I'd have to take a day off work to do it, which is why I'm hesitating. Plus it doesn't seem like it's run by Questrade, but by Online Trading Academy. I've done some Googling, but can't tell if it's worthwhile or partially a scam to get you to buy their products.

Anyone here ever try taking the course?

Thanks,
Adrian
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1184 posts
53 upvotes
I'm pretty sure they will try to sell you something. Ask yourself, "Why would they do it for free?".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1282 posts
14 upvotes
I guess I was hoping that Questrade would foot the bill in the hopes that with more knowledge, investors would trade more thus earning them more money in commissions
Jan 24, 2010
343 posts
64 upvotes
Richmond
Forget about it.

I used to send an email to ask for price about the training course.

A guy called me back and told me it is (I forgot the exact amount) 1999 per course and said it is too much for me and I will not take it, especially since I am a very new "trader" and I will borrow a few books from library instead.

The guy is very very angry and shouted to me on the phone that:

(Exactly what he said) You will lose money if you do not take this course. You will lose all your money!
Oct 2, 2005
606 posts
25 upvotes
asmielia wrote:
Mar 26th, 2010 9:25 pm
Hi,
I received a letter in the mail from Questrade inviting me to a free Power Trading Workshop. I don't trade that much, maybe once a month right now, and that's mostly cause I lack experience. So I was thinking about doing it.

I'd have to take a day off work to do it, which is why I'm hesitating. Plus it doesn't seem like it's run by Questrade, but by Online Trading Academy. I've done some Googling, but can't tell if it's worthwhile or partially a scam to get you to buy their products.

Thanks,
Adrian
i doubt you want to listen to these guys. if they are soo good they wouldn't be training you. you are better off to read books written by some legendary investor. try this book: "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing"; it has many series for you if you are intested in other strategy.
...making life simple without worry, without headache...
Jun 14, 2009
21 posts
asmielia wrote:
Mar 26th, 2010 9:25 pm
Hi,

Thanks,
Adrian
I had attended the workshop. it's their way of promoting the Trading courses that they offer. It will be very helpful for someone who is interested in day trading.
The cost of the course is 5G for a 7-day intensive training. It will be worth it if your job allows you enough time to check the market frequently.
Mar 30, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
Hi my name is Stephen and I work for Questrade.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion about our relationship with the Online Trading Academy.

The Online Trading Academy is Questrade’s educational partner – you’ll find a link to the school and the power-trading workshop on the Questrade website (look under the ‘learn to trade’ tab).

While the Power Trading Workshop is free, the full courses offered by OTA are not. However, Questrade does offer an educational scholarship, in which we will rebate your OTA tuition fees through discounted trade commissions. Again, you’ll find more details about this on our website.

Hope this helps.
Apr 12, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
Do not touch this Power trading Workshop. They want you to sign up for Online Trading Academy and spend $5,000 or more on a 7 days course. You promised to make money.
If it too good to be true it is too good to true.
Better to take course offered through Canadian Securities Institute or any of the Universities or Colleges in Ontario.
Sep 28, 2013
9 posts
EAST YORK
has anyone taken quest trade one day free Power Trading Workshop. I would like to register for it since it is free and gain knowledge of things work. but before i do that i just wanna know if those guys are too pushy to register for the 7 days course. is there anyone who went for the free worshop and didnt sign up for the course.
× < >