5965 posts
871 upvotes

Star Trek Ascendancy board game and more clearance

Deal Link:
Retailer:
quichegames
Quichegames is having a clearance sale.

https://quichegames.com/collections/sale

Star Trek Ascendancy is one good deal. $50 for it brand new.

https://quichegames.com/collections/sal ... ascendancy

Guilds of London - $30
https://quichegames.com/collections/sal ... -of-london
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2135 posts
951 upvotes
Thanks OP.. just spent more than I promised myself I would on board games this year.

I didn't know about this store.. missed out on 20% off CyberMonday :(
Feb 2, 2013
343 posts
194 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
Picked up a handful of clearance games and finally went all-in on Carcassonne Big Box for $85. Thanks OP!
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11833 posts
2612 upvotes
Montreal
How do you know which games are "Clearance" and which ones are "Damaged"?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2135 posts
951 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 3:49 am
How do you know which games are "Clearance" and which ones are "Damaged"?
Some of the games have (Damaged) in brackets like the Predator game.. which is also sold out.

So Im hoping everything else is clearance. Im guessing at worst it's box damage and not content damage. I can live with that.

Bought a bunch of $3.95 small games as stocking stuffers.

I missed the Star Trek deal on Amazon so grabbed that.

I have a bunch of Kickstarters on their way, but turns out they won't arrive until next year. So that's how I justify this.
Jul 13, 2010
43 posts
14 upvotes
Good deal on A Study in Emerald and Jeju island.
Oct 23, 2015
143 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I oddly want to get into board games but there are so many, no idea what's what.

Star Trek board game you say? Good thing it's sold out, saved $50 plus dollars; bullet dodged. Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 4, 2015
318 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary, AB
twoflower wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:10 am
I oddly want to get into board games but there are so many, no idea what's what.

Star Trek board game you say? Good thing it's sold out, saved $50 plus dollars; bullet dodged. Face With Tears Of Joy
First you want to figure out who is going to play with you. Party game? Hardcore gaming group? Significant other? Just yourself? That will influence how many players you have, and how long you want to commit to a single game.

Then go to BoardGameGeek and find one that fits that criteria (ie, # players, complexity, duration, game type). Find the top rated games in the category of your choice then go with it. If you aren't anti-social you can go to a board game cafe to try it out before buying it, if you don't want to buy purely based on internet reviews.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11833 posts
2612 upvotes
Montreal
uklamen wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:39 am
Some of the games have (Damaged) in brackets like the Predator game.. which is also sold out.
Thanks, I was looking in the product description and the Predator game was sold out before I got there.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2135 posts
951 upvotes
twoflower wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:10 am

If you have a small group, starting with something like Settlers of Catan will open up a new world of board games. We got it maybe 13 years ago when I was in college and as room mates we played once a week. Then slowly started adding new games.

It's easy to learn and doesn't have very complicated mechanics. I have since learned friends that were never into gaming, actually play it and it has given us something to play at gatherings now.

I also get a lot of co op games. My wife and a few other friends prefer to play as a team against the game itself, and that can be a lot of fun if you have friends that aren't into competitive things. Something like Descent for a minatures game, or Marvel Legendary for a card based game.

Then you have the ones where you all basically play your own game with little interaction.. yet take turns gathering and stuff. Castles of Burgandy can often be found on sale on Amazon and is another good beginner game if you don't want to really compete against each other.

I only play with adults, so Im not sure how well these translate for kids though. The examples I gave aren't the highest rated on BGG or overly special, but they are common enough to find used or on sale, and are what we found to be a good jump off point.
Oct 23, 2015
143 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Verdic wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:38 am
First you want to figure out who is going to play with you. Party game? Hardcore gaming group? Significant other? Just yourself? That will influence how many players you have, and how long you want to commit to a single game.

Then go to BoardGameGeek and find one that fits that criteria (ie, # players, complexity, duration, game type). Find the top rated games in the category of your choice then go with it. If you aren't anti-social you can go to a board game cafe to try it out before buying it, if you don't want to buy purely based on internet reviews.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com
Finding a group I think will be the difficult part, everyone seems to be having kids or moving to Hamilton nowadays Face With Tears Of Joy.

Thanks for the link, going to have to check that out on the weekend =).

uklamen wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:08 am
If you have a small group, starting with something like Settlers of Catan will open up a new world of board games. We got it maybe 13 years ago when I was in college and as room mates we played once a week. Then slowly started adding new games.

It's easy to learn and doesn't have very complicated mechanics. I have since learned friends that were never into gaming, actually play it and it has given us something to play at gatherings now.

I also get a lot of co op games. My wife and a few other friends prefer to play as a team against the game itself, and that can be a lot of fun if you have friends that aren't into competitive things. Something like Descent for a minatures game, or Marvel Legendary for a card based game.

Then you have the ones where you all basically play your own game with little interaction.. yet take turns gathering and stuff. Castles of Burgandy can often be found on sale on Amazon and is another good beginner game if you don't want to really compete against each other.

I only play with adults, so Im not sure how well these translate for kids though. The examples I gave aren't the highest rated on BGG or overly special, but they are common enough to find used or on sale, and are what we found to be a good jump off point.
Thank you for the considered and detailed response. Starting out slow with less killer instinct is probably a good idea, I once made someone cry playing Monopoly...I still don't know how exactly. I'm adding those to my watch list now, I've had Settlers of Catan recommended before...more things to drain my already depleted monies haha.