• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2014 11:32 am
[OP]
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC

Quickbooks help?!?!

My boss expects me to know everything about Quickbooks; alas, I know only enough to have chosen Freshbooks instead. Can anyone recommend a good online or offline resource to get up to speed with Quickbooks fast? I got A's in Calculus, but in "thinking inside the spreadsheet" I fail every time.
9 replies
Jul 29, 2014
1 posts
Ottawa, ON
Hi ogopogoyoyo, be careful with quickbooks Online if that's your proposed solution. It doesn't allow you to export transactions making all but impossible to switch later. We have to re-input everything and went with Wave accounting.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Wow, that's gruesome. Thanks for the heads-up.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3859 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
Fastest way to learn is to install the software on your computer and learn from trial and error. The learning curve is not that bad compared to SA
[OP]
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Oh, believe me I did, but me running around Quickbooks is like a rat that's downed an 8-ball trying to get out of a mouse-sized maze. I always prefer to have a manual (I'm one of the rare people who actually reads it) but can't find anything written in English for, like, normal people as opposed to accountants.
Oct 8, 2010
125 posts
23 upvotes
I had the same overwhelming feeling when I started using QB. Just like some of the suggestions on here, make a few sample company files and try everything out. If the company file is already setup it should be easier to adapt to since you can look back at previous transactions and see how they were done. You could always read through the dummies books or find a "quickbooks advisor" that will provide a one-one tutoring session. When I came across unique transactions I would just search QB community and find my answers there. Go to a library and find some books, even older versions not a big deal. I always have an accountant look over everything to make sure items are being recorded easily.

What type of business are you in?
[OP]
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
I'm in communications myself, so have rarely had to deal with this sort of thing, but now I'm doing all kinds of admin stuff for a landscaping company. And next month I might be transferred to something else. It's all over the place. I guess it's a good education.
Nov 10, 2009
427 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton
Quickbooks uses various screens for different transactions.
Im writing this from an accrual pov.

Write Cheque:
Write cheque is good for retail receipts using cash or debit card. Purchases like meals, coffee's , office supplies, also one-off supplier purchases, etc.

Enter Bills/Pay bills
This area is useful for recording bills that arrive but haven't been paid yet. Bills like telephone, utilities, perhaps COGS supplies. This is also useful for bills that are charged on a monthly basis as it lets you see a recurring monthly expense on your Profit/Loss statement.
So, enter the bill and use Pay bills when you make your payment.

Credit card
Use this screen for recording purchases bought with a cc. You can also pay with cc on the Pay bills screen in the previous section.

When using this function you can enter all the statement charges in one transaction but I like to enter them individually as then they are also recorded in the vendors section which is a very helpful area.

If you have any other quickbooks questions, just ask. Im happy to help.
Dame Edna: I think of a talk show as... well... a monologue interrupted by total strangers.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Thanks so much for this! IT's super-helpful. I wish you wrote the instruction manuals I've been reading.