• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2013 11:53 am
Tags:
None
Dec 29, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes

QuickBooks or sage?

So I know this has been asked before and from reading those threads I am leaning towards QuickBooks.
I am a small retail store, pet store to be exact, and have been doing all my books in a ledger for 8 years. This year I will be hiring, so that is my main reason for getting software. I will likely only be hiring one person, possibly two. I do bring a few things in from the states, and my accountant did suggest sage. But from what I've been reading QuickBooks is way easier to learn, so from what I've told you what would you suggest? Thanks in advance.
19 replies
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
imjnite wrote: my accountant did suggest sage
If you can write a cheque, you can operate Sage 50. I'd suggest you buy what your accountant recommends, and here's why:

Let's say a customer comes in to your store, and asks whether they should buy Purina or Iams dog food. So you evaluate their pet and explain the differences between the two products, and explain why, based on your 8 years of experience working with those products every day, you think they should buy Purina. Then they buy Iams.

Case in point from my industry: some time ago, someone asked me if they should buy a computer with Windows Vista on it. I said no, either get one now with XP, or wait a few months and get Windows 7. So he bought the computer with Vista.

Three weeks later: "This doesn't run worth crap!" I knew the individual's usage patterns and was quite sure he wouldn't like Vista. I was right.

I believe there is a trial available for both products, so you can take them for a test drive and see with one you like better. If there are some specific nuances in Quickbooks that make it significantly better for your specific use, go for it.

Dec 5, 2006
4 posts
2 upvotes
I worked for Sage product dept for many years, if you want your accountant to look over your file or audit or do closing at year end then it's best to get the software he/she is familiar with and ABLE to open on his/her computer. Doesn't make sense
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Have a good look at wave. It's free and does everything qb does, but with an online Interface.

I run a successful business using it, and never thought I'd survive without quick books! But this one is great ..
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I use quickbooks but i may be leaning towards switching to sage once my year end ends in June 2013. Sage has been more and more appealing to me ever since my accountant gave me a quick intro to it.
Oct 16, 2012
175 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
What do you guys use to track sales? At the moment I just use an excel spreadsheet.

I do have quickbooks but don't have the time to learn how to "use" it efficiently.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Many accountants have copies of both quickbooks and sage/simply, check with your accountant if they have both, if yes you can buy package you prefer, if not I suggest what your accountant have access to. I prefer quickbooks over sage hands down.

Putin, to enter sales into quickbooks from the customers menu go to create invoice, enter information (need to have items set up). That's the end of the learning curve as far as tracking sales in concerned.
If you don't have time to learn the bookkeeping systems hire a bookkeeper, that's what they are for, to provide services for business who would rather spend time selling or doing more important stuff, and for poeple who don't know or feel like doing it themselves.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
putinwork2012 wrote: What do you guys use to track sales? At the moment I just use an excel spreadsheet.

I do have quickbooks but don't have the time to learn how to "use" it efficiently.
start off with using wave and then learn QB or Sage. Wave is free and provided me with the foundation of learning how to use accounting software before migrating to QB. You may even be fine with Wave if your company does not have complex entries.
Dec 29, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for the input, I will talk to my accountant again and then decide. Thanks again!
Nov 30, 2011
4 posts
1 upvote
imjnite,
Geoff here on the QuickBooks team. You've received some great advice in this thread: check with your accountant to see if she or he has a preference, as it'll make your life easier.
I'd obviously advocate for QuickBooks or QuickBooks Online, depending on your requirements. If you want to talk through what's best for your business, feel free to give us a call - we're happy to chat!
Apr 21, 2011
58 posts
Toronto
no body mentions GNU Cash? Is it a different class of software?
Dec 4, 2004
217 posts
2 upvotes
quickbooks online is awesome. I would highly recommend it. It pulls transactions right from your bank account / credit cards you can easily assign them to the correct GL. The best part is that it is 100% online which means I can do my accounting anywhere I have an internet connection without having to worry about pulling the data around. No need to worry about backups and you can give your accountant their own online account so they can check to see if you are doing it correctly. It is a very slick piece of software.
Aug 25, 2004
211 posts
9 upvotes
putinwork2012 wrote: What do you guys use to track sales? At the moment I just use an excel spreadsheet.

Are you entering invoices in, you can use the reports to generate income reports.
Aug 25, 2004
211 posts
9 upvotes
I'll put my $0.02, I have been in accounting for over 15 years and I still prefer to use and recommend Quickbooks. The reason is mainly due to the reports that QB can generate. It is very easy to modify reports in QB, not so much with Sage/simply.

I also find it easier to use for those without accounting experience to use.
Dec 7, 2005
358 posts
100 upvotes
Halifax
I use QuickBooks Pro (I do payroll manually) for the books in my 2 person corporation. My account said either was fine as she has access to both and will just import the numbers anyway. In fact most accountants said the same thing (either was fine).

I found QuickBooks easier to use as, especially at the start, it's easier to correct problems. I didn't mind Sage, just Quickbooks was cheaper and just felt easier to learn (the live chat/forums thing is useful!).

Good luck in your hunt for a product!
Mar 25, 2007
8 posts
1 upvote
ease comes from experience with the product, I tried Sage after using QB but found that possible because I had used QB for so long Sage was more technical and harder to use. I like and use QB2011. I would recommend trying both as I think they both have demos. Your accountant probably has started off with and is now using Sage so that may be why they suggest Sage, QB has a feature to export for accountant, I have never used it but you may want to do what I did before making my decision and that is comply a list of questions regarding what I need the software to do then calling each company and getting the low down.
Feb 7, 2013
3 posts
There are pros and cons for both.

Simply/Sage looks better - it's easier on the eyes. The reports are always clean and accurate. The audit trail is transparent. It's easier to understand what's happening - IF you have a clear understanding of double-entry accounting. It's very unforgiving of data entry errors. It provides a very clear audit trail.

QuickBooks looks bad - it's a visual jumble compared to Simply. The reporting is far more flexible, allowing you to create a lot of custom reports - but the reports can produce inaccurate numbers. It uses more of a database approach so it's easier for people who DON'T have a good understanding of double entry accounting. It's very forgiving of errors because you can correct a transaction retroactively and keep the same journal number. The audit trail is not great.

Keep in mind that your data entry may be perfect, but if you're given junk information that constantly needs to be corrected later, QuickBooks will keep your books a lot cleaner than Simply/Sage. However, the ability to correct transactions retroactively reduces "control" over the bookkeeping and makes it possible to truly make a mess of the books.

In short, QuickBooks is better for a bookkeeper who knows what they're doing and needs to run a business on a day-to-day basis. Simply/Sage is better for the year-end accountant. Simply/Sage may be better for a business owner who wants better "control" over the bookkeeping, but QuickBooks is better if they want any kind of management reporting.
Mar 3, 2010
211 posts
18 upvotes
i more like to use Quickbooks, however the new look for 2013 is terrible. but quickbooks is better to check the vendor and customer report.
Jan 15, 2013
39 posts
13 upvotes
WELLAND
In my honest opinion choosing between two bad and expensive computer programs is a disgrace. They deceive you, they pump money out of your pocket just like Bell and Rogers. You overpaid for the software when you bought it. Then they interrupt your business by asking to install an update, then they ask to pay, and if you chose to return back to the version you purchased, your accounting file can not be read. You gotta pay or lose your accounting. Can that be good? Will any big business tolerate such a supplier? They'll go broke in a blink. But these guys are marketed. They are legal. And, they know that you are not an expert most times. Why the update? Payroll tables? Can't that be included in the 300, 400, or 700 that you paid first? The payroll tables are free in the first place, can't the programmer make an option to download update from CRA site? Or the support site of the provider? Is it a favor too big? The rest of accounting (bookkeeping in their case) is same for centuries).

If you know how to make a transaction for payroll, you can use any software and do not owe to any of these guys.

leidreamer wrote: i more like to use Quickbooks, however the new look for 2013 is terrible. but quickbooks is better to check the vendor and customer report.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)