• Dec 14th, 2017 1:52 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
2 posts

Quicken 2018 available and 10% off

Deal Link:
Savings:
10%
I am a long-time Quicken user with years of banking and investment data, although I have been neglecting it lately. I have not made the upgrade to the new independent-from-Intuit, subscription-based versions. However, I do see that the 2018 version is available for "purchase" (i.e. 1 year subscription) with a 10% discount. There is also some new "cloud" feature and ability to get new features. So I might finally make the leap, and consider the subscription the cost of keeping organized...
20 replies
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
As a long time user you would notice the significant increase in price. Now paying for one year what three years previously got.
What they also don’t mention is that your subscription is automatically renewed by credit card. Quicken was bought out by a hedge fund thus the changes.
The Duke
Jan 12, 2007
226 posts
18 upvotes
Long time Quicken user, but refused to upgrade with the pricing over the years. I'm still running an old version (win 95) under win 10 ! Face With Tears Of Joy
Can't justify paying subscription to core function the older version provided to balance chequing and credit card accounts..
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2194 posts
934 upvotes
ontario
i'm trying to decide what to do

i'm on 2015 home and business. I use quicken to track income/expenses and investments. i see that as of Apr 2018 I will no longer be able to 'download' but not clear what that means. does it mean no more stock / fund / etf quotes automatically updated or does it mean i wont be able to download qfx files from my institutions and update quicken with them or both.

home and business is 89.99 a year.. seems steep for my use. there's a new 'deluxe' version at 59.99 which is still not cheap.. not sure what i'd give up with that version.

have people moved on from quicken? if so, to what? i don't want to use mint. i like everything on my machine.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1133 posts
305 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:48 pm
i'm trying to decide what to do

i'm on 2015 home and business. I use quicken to track income/expenses and investments. i see that as of Apr 2018 I will no longer be able to 'download' but not clear what that means. does it mean no more stock / fund / etf quotes automatically updated or does it mean i wont be able to download qfx files from my institutions and update quicken with them or both.

home and business is 89.99 a year.. seems steep for my use. there's a new 'deluxe' version at 59.99 which is still not cheap.. not sure what i'd give up with that version.

have people moved on from quicken? if so, to what? i don't want to use mint. i like everything on my machine.
It means you can't use any download anything including qfx files.
If you stay below quicken 2016 and lower the you should still be able to do transactions manually.
Starting with quicken 2017 it's a subscription model and manual entries will not be allowed when your subscription ends. The data becomes read only which basically means all your data is held hostage. I would recommend you stick to 2015 and use manual entries.
I think the price is steep for subscription model.
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
My Quicken 2014 expired and no longer downloads the QFX files. Still using 2014 by downloading QIF files that requires an extra step within Quicken to import. Most credit cards and some banks offer QIF files. Investments are imputed manually but I do not have numerous ongoing transactions. Never have to buy Quicken again and I am a user since the 90’s.

I refuse to pay their new predatory pricing where they hold your data hostage if you do not renew your subscription.
The Duke
Jun 22, 2009
720 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks! Don't really like manual import and was wondering what happens when downloading stops working... Now I know that at least .qif files work...
garytheduke wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:23 pm
Still using 2014 by downloading QIF files that requires an extra step within Quicken to import. Most credit cards and some banks offer QIF files.
Слава Україні!
Jan 22, 2008
716 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm still using 2014 Home and Business but manually entering all the transactions is becoming a pain. Though likely not enough to pay $90 p/year since that is really the only thing I'm missing. I think there was some talk on a financial forum site about them reconsidering the subscription model but that was back in the first half of the year so I guess it never happened.
Apr 9, 2012
337 posts
229 upvotes
magicray wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:44 am
Just wondering why you guys don't use online solutions like SlickPie? www.slickpie.com
I prefer Offline solutions. I prefer to safeguard my own data. I prefer to control my own data. I do not want to be subject to a subscription model. SlickPie, a CDN company sells in US Dollars which is of no benefit to me as a Canadian business, especially not from a marketing standpoint by Canadians to Canadians. There is zero reason for my business to use cloud based accounting, which is just marketing hype to me to try & convince me that plus & minus accounting has changed into something that requires bling & magic vs. just number input that hasn't changed in centuries. My 2003 offline Intuit software bought at a low price then works just as well now as it did then & as a small business person, online accounting does not make the process magically easier.. No cloud based subscription hype is going to change that someone has to still enter the data. All just marketing hype.
Apr 9, 2012
337 posts
229 upvotes
Freelancer wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:26 am
I'm still using 2014 Home and Business but manually entering all the transactions is becoming a pain.
Come On! It's still going to be manual entry at some point, even with cloud based magic auto download & enter. As if it's always going to be correctly done & as if it's always going to be put into the correct category & as if it's always going to do perfect reconciliations. That is dreaming in technicolor & drinking the software's Kool-Aid & ending up in a world of hurt when you need to find a transaction that isn't balancing / reconciling. Machines are not that good yet, or .... the upfront input of data & cross references would be so huge as to make it expensive. This cloud based subscription computing is not error free, automatic accurate, etc. all the time.

It is though a super profitable business model for them ... just not for you. For people that buy into it & are bad with bookkeeping anyway, they still likely will have to have someone double check their work & fix all the "auto magic" number & category code errors. This isn't about making things easier for YOU, it's about making THEM more money. But people like new shiny bling bling BS, often no matter the cost, more than they like the knowledge, work & facts that bookkeeping requires, even though it's not that difficult ... even for me.
Sep 7, 2008
97 posts
34 upvotes
I have Quicken 2014 home and business. It stopped downloading QFX files last year and as others have said they introduced an extortionate subscription model. I refused and bought a third party software Bank2QIF to convert the QFX to QIF. I then import the QIF file into Quicken.

It’s not as seamless but better than paying $90 or whatever it is per year.
Oct 17, 2017
2 posts
Well the only alternative OFFLINE solutions that I found that does similar to Quicken were MoneyDance and GnuCash.

MoneyDance costs money but it isn't a subscription model, and GnuCash is free. I kind of like MoneyDance when I tried a conversion of my data. But the reports and graphs aren't as nice as quicken is. Keep in mind the conversion is a bit of manual process, IE dump all data then load it into MoneyDance. Which mean re-categorizing everything. It has been a while since I last looked at it and I know it has been updated a few times since then.

If I recall MoneyDance does read the mutual fund prices automatically as well.

I do recall that moneydance allowed for plugins. I think i used one to assist with updating all the MutualFund prices that I have that are not available for download publicly. So there might be some useful stuff there for people. I do believe it worked handled importing the QFX transactions that you get from the bank.

I haven't put any real effort into GnuCash at all.

http://moneydance.com/
https://www.gnucash.org/

Hope this helps, and that maybe someone else can conform or add to this.