Personal Finance

Quicken forcing everyone to subscription: Alternatives?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2019 2:55 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2003
638 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto

Quicken forcing everyone to subscription: Alternatives?

This is the last straw for me with Quicken. I've lived with the poor UX, account sync issues, ignored all the "upgrade now!!!" dialog boxes since 2017 and other quirks. But they're forcing everyone to their subscription model as by the end of next month it seems like they won't even allow the user to download data from their banks going forward April 30.

What are good Canadian alternatives? I prefer a local app (non-cloud based) but in this day and age where everyone gives up their data freely... I might not have a choice unless I go Excel. I signed up with Mint, but I looks like I won't be able to import the 6+ years of Quicken data, only the last 90 days unless I manually enter each entry line by line. Mint also doesn't sync with PC Financial but it's not a huge deal.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.59.26 AM.png
10 replies
Mar 12, 2006
142 posts
61 upvotes
I'm still using Quicken Home and Business 2009 R2 and it works perfectly on Windows 10.
I enter all transactions myself daily and reconcile once a month with the bank/cc statements.
For my investments I use two spreadsheets. One is Google spreadsheet, which gives me the daily prices of all my e-funds and ETFs. I download the file as .csv once in a while and import in Quicken with File - Import - Import prices. The second one is with my pre-authorized transactions, which I open in Open Office calc with installed Calc2qif add-on. The data is imported once a month in Quicken via import QIF file.

I have tried many different software and nothing compares to Quicken, but I am not planning on upgrading constantly or paying for subscription.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Freaking subscription services...hate how everything is slowly shifting to that.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Aug 10, 2006
30 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
You can continue importing bank data to older versions of Quicken using ImportQIF from QuicknPerlWiz

Cheers
Lester
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1134 posts
306 upvotes
vdimitrov wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 8:25 am
I'm still using Quicken Home and Business 2009 R2 and it works perfectly on Windows 10.
I enter all transactions myself daily and reconcile once a month with the bank/cc statements.
For my investments I use two spreadsheets. One is Google spreadsheet, which gives me the daily prices of all my e-funds and ETFs. I download the file as .csv once in a while and import in Quicken with File - Import - Import prices. The second one is with my pre-authorized transactions, which I open in Open Office calc with installed Calc2qif add-on. The data is imported once a month in Quicken via import QIF file.

I have tried many different software and nothing compares to Quicken, but I am not planning on upgrading constantly or paying for subscription.
What format do the investment quotes needs to be in?
Mar 25, 2012
767 posts
218 upvotes
Kelowna
Migrate to their their free Mint.com - just don't tell your bank that you're using it and, on the off chance they manage to figure out you're using it, tell them that the whole premise of not disclosing your username & password to secure 128 bit encrypted service providers is utter bunk considering they, themselves, are likely using third-party personal finance management tools. :)

Another alternate would be Wave Apps, which is free. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Mar 25, 2012
767 posts
218 upvotes
Kelowna
Don't most FIs let you download your data in CSV format? You could just do that and use Excel, or Calc from Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Sep 28, 2003
176 posts
27 upvotes
vdimitrov wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 8:25 am
For my investments I use two spreadsheets. One is Google spreadsheet, which gives me the daily prices of all my e-funds and ETFs. I download the file as .csv once in a while and import in Quicken with File - Import - Import prices.
This is basically what I do to keep track of my investments in Quicken but I have it more automated using this: https://www.aczoom.com/tech/import-pric ... r-quicken/

Set it to run once in a while or just make a shortcut on your desktop and execute as needed