Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Quicken Home & Business 2014 - $49.99 ($60 off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2014 10:02 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 17, 2008
55 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga

[Staples] Quicken Home & Business 2014 - $49.99 ($60 off)

Quicken 2014 is on sales at Staples. Quantities are limited but managed to pick one up at the Staples at Mavis/Burnhamthorpe.
21 replies
Member
Jul 17, 2011
267 posts
99 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks, sputs.

It was time for my three year upgrade.
Jr. Member
Mar 26, 2004
108 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks sputs for this. I have had an alert for this deal for a couple of months. I tried researching alternatives to Quicken and it seems like there are not that many. Kind of surprised that no one has been able to come out with an alternative.
Member
Jul 17, 2011
267 posts
99 upvotes
TORONTO
Quicken 2014 is now on sale for $49.99 (until Jan 30) at Best Buy and Future Shop.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17849 posts
10227 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
BigRFDfan wrote: Quicken 2014 is now on sale for $49.99 (until Jan 30) at Best Buy and Future Shop.
Or they'll sell you the 2013 edition for $109.13 :facepalm: :rolleyes:
veni, vidi, Visa
Member
Jan 12, 2006
287 posts
43 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thanks guys!! Been waiting for this to go on sale... Going to pick it up tonight.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 4, 2011
158 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a quick question. Do you need to purchase Quicken every year like anti-virus software, or you can use it for few years like MS Office?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4158 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ShyGrizzly wrote: I have a quick question. Do you need to purchase Quicken every year like anti-virus software, or you can use it for few years like MS Office?
You can use it for about 3 years... I don't remember the current schedule, but they cut off online access for the old versions after several years. I would not buy a new version every year because there are just not enough worthy changes to warrant the cost of upgrade.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17849 posts
10227 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jellyman wrote: Very bad reviews
I wouldn't recommend it to new users. Period.

But some of us have been using Quicken for many years (me since the second PC-DOS release in the 1980s.) We have way too much data and too much transaction history in our Quicken databases that a switch to something else would be very, very painful. Also there's not a lot of alternatives, at least on Windows, for Quicken refugees.

So we're "forced" into playing into Intuit's extortion racket and $50 is a lot less painful than $110.

Like I said, I don't recommend Quicken to new users. You've been warned ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
User avatar
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4104 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote: I wouldn't recommend it to new users. Period.

But some of us have been using Quicken for many years (me since the second PC-DOS release in the 1980s.) We have way too much data and too much transaction history in our Quicken databases that a switch to something else would be very, very painful. Also there's not a lot of alternatives, at least on Windows, for Quicken refugees.

So we're "forced" into playing into Intuit's extortion racket and $50 is a lot less painful than $110.

Like I said, I don't recommend Quicken to new users. You've been warned ;)
That's where it gets complicated though. What options do we really have in Canada if we want to follow our banks' rules of keeping our info safe? I mean there's this or Microsoft's unsupported alternative...pick your poison.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17849 posts
10227 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cas77 wrote: What options do we really have in Canada if we want to follow our banks' rules of keeping our info safe?
What "banks' rules" would those be?

As for options, it depends on what functions you need. Probably the most comprehensive alternative is GnuCash. However I've heard it can be difficult to learn. There's also PLCash. Both are free. There's also Moneydance for US$50. All claim to import from Quicken although I don't know how well and how comprehensively they do it. (For example they may import accounts and transactions but do they import saved reports and graphs?) I also have no idea if or how well they import data from Canadian financial institutions. Then there's the inertia of moving from Quicken to something new, learning how to use it, configuring it, etc.

If you only need to track investments, it's possible to do that with spreadsheets. You can even inhale stock quotes from Yahoo and Google into LibreOffice or Excel.

(And finally there's Jolly Roger software. I've heard that the Canadian versions of Quicken 2012 and 2013 are available via Bit Torrent and warez download sites ;) )
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
User avatar
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4104 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote: What "banks' rules" would those be?

As for options, it depends on what functions you need. Probably the most comprehensive alternative is GnuCash. However I've heard it can be difficult to learn. There's also PLCash. Both are free. There's also Moneydance for US$50. All claim to import from Quicken although I don't know how well and how comprehensively they do it. (For example they may import accounts and transactions but do they import saved reports and graphs?) I also have no idea if or how well they import data from Canadian financial institutions. Then there's the inertia of moving from Quicken to something new, learning how to use it, configuring it, etc.

If you only need to track investments, it's possible to do that with spreadsheets. You can even inhale stock quotes from Yahoo and Google into LibreOffice or Excel.

(And finally there's Jolly Roger software. I've heard that the Canadian versions of Quicken 2012 and 2013 are available via Bit Torrent and warez download sites ;) )
There are 2 softwares I would never torrent if my life depended on it: My banking software and my tax software.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain

Top