• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2012 9:01 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2010
14 posts
3 upvotes

Quicken me or not?

I was using Quicken 2009 Home & Business and it has since stopped working since Intuit stopped supporting it after May 31.

I must say that I did use it a fair bit to track personal and small business finances. The software seperates my personal $$ from my business and was powerful enoguh for my limited use. The only option is to buy Quicken 2012 which is really over priced. I know there was a deal back in Jan for <$50 but now it is $109+tax.

Anybody have any suggestions on alternatives? Or where I can buy it for <$70?

I am getting desperate since it is almost a week since I have tidied the books but my frugality is impeding me from buying it at retail.

Any suggestions/help?
11 replies
Aug 10, 2007
6 posts
If it's only bank transactions you are looking to download, you could try to see if your financial institutions will let you download QIF files. Although it's not as nice as the OFX (webconnect) method, it could buy you some time until you come across a deal on QW2012.

I think there is also a way to import stock quotes from csv as well but it may be a bit of work to get going.
Mar 13, 2012
858 posts
133 upvotes
Planet Earth
Surely the cost of the software investment would outway your time & effort of converting programs or manually keeping your data in Excel... Effort & your time should be part of your frugality calculations.

You can write off the cost of the software as a business expense... We do.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4624 posts
1495 upvotes
dealphreak wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 5:51 pm
I was using Quicken 2009 Home & Business and it has since stopped working since Intuit stopped supporting it after May 31.

I must say that I did use it a fair bit to track personal and small business finances. The software seperates my personal $$ from my business and was powerful enoguh for my limited use. The only option is to buy Quicken 2012 which is really over priced. I know there was a deal back in Jan for <$50 but now it is $109+tax.

Anybody have any suggestions on alternatives? Or where I can buy it for <$70?

I am getting desperate since it is almost a week since I have tidied the books but my frugality is impeding me from buying it at retail.

Any suggestions/help?

Are you able to be more specific in terms of how it stopped working? You may be able to repair the data file assuming you are able to open the program. To do this, you would need to go to File...File Operations....Validate and Repair.

If you have invested quite a bit of effort using this program, you may want to try and get your data back. You could also try reinstalling the program.
Jan 26, 2004
278 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 11:24 am
Are you able to be more specific in terms of how it stopped working? You may be able to repair the data file assuming you are able to open the program. To do this, you would need to go to File...File Operations....Validate and Repair.

If you have invested quite a bit of effort using this program, you may want to try and get your data back. You could also try reinstalling the program.

I believe the OP is referring to the fact that Quicken 'sunsets' their products after 3 years - essentially preventing the user from importing any more banking information directly from online banking sites.

To the OP - I was in the same situation, but only use Cash Manager for personal finance. I really dislike the fact that Intuit implements a disabling feature like this but I could not find any comparable products. I bit the bullet and bought a new version, but used one of the numerous 20% off coupons available online. You could get Home & Business for $87.99 using one of these coupons. The software is direct download from Intuit, no discs provided. There are several sources available for the coupons but here is the one I used: http://www.coupons.ca/quicken
Oct 5, 2009
469 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
you can likely get Quicken as a torrent

not that it's legal, but you could do that and buy it when you find a discount

I did that often (and yes I bought my Quicken editions, 3 times now)
[OP]
Aug 3, 2010
14 posts
3 upvotes
mrgrieves wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 12:38 pm
I believe the OP is referring to the fact that Quicken 'sunsets' their products after 3 years - essentially preventing the user from importing any more banking information directly from online banking sites.

To the OP - I was in the same situation, but only use Cash Manager for personal finance. I really dislike the fact that Intuit implements a disabling feature like this but I could not find any comparable products. I bit the bullet and bought a new version, but used one of the numerous 20% off coupons available online. You could get Home & Business for $87.99 using one of these coupons. The software is direct download from Intuit, no discs provided. There are several sources available for the coupons but here is the one I used: http://www.coupons.ca/quicken

Time vs. Cost/Frugality means I will bite the bullet - 20%(thanks mrgrieves)

Great input from all...
Aug 22, 2009
495 posts
68 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I love Quicken and am on my second version (currently using Home and Business 2011). I don't use it to import any transactions . . . I just input everything manually and it doesn't take me much time. I've been too lazy to figure out how the auto downloads work, and I'm not sure if I'd trust it anyway.

Quicken has a lot of quirks/bugs and their tech support is awful. When I called support, I had to explain to the rep three times what a "stock" was. After this, she proceeded to tell me that I could only add stocks that were traded on the TSX, and that NYSE stocks couldn't be added. She was wrong, and I had to figure out the answers to my questions on my own. With that said, I don't think we have any other Canadian alternatives; however, since I don't use the bank import features, I suppose I could buy an American-specific software without any issues?

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with them :P I love using personal-finance software, but I think Quicken is rough around the edges. It would also be nice if it had a companion iPhone/Android app or something.
Oct 5, 2009
469 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
a smartphone app is the major thing missing.

I also enter everything manually, I do it every evening, it takes 30 seconds.

After 6 years of using it every day, I still learn stuff that it can do.. or how to do stuff correctly. I'm getting good at budgets and categories.

Their multi currency management is very poor, when you have account and/or investments in another currency, you can forget about accurate reporting if you combine accounts in different currencies
Aug 22, 2009
495 posts
68 upvotes
Guelph, ON
theBeachBoy wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 3:27 pm
Their multi currency management is very poor, when you have account and/or investments in another currency, you can forget about accurate reporting if you combine accounts in different currencies
I agree! I have a heck of a time with currency conversions!
Oct 5, 2009
469 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
Kepping my USD and CAD account are ok (adjusting rates when I transfert), but then reporting uses whatever rate you set in there, so the reports are really bogus unless you pull out two different reports.

It's not too bad now that I have my USD and CAD at par, but when it's 30% difference, it doesn't work.