Expired Hot Deals

[Quicken] Quicken 2018 (Canadian) at 40% off (Deluxe and Home Business Editions only) YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 8:28 am
[OP]
Apr 25, 2005
734 posts
178 upvotes

Quicken 2018 (Canadian) at 40% off (Deluxe and Home Business Editions only) YMMV

Price:
Savings:
Expiry:
December 27, 2017
Retailer:
Quicken
Just got a pop up when I started Quicken (2016) that offered Quicken Home Business 2018 at 40% off ($53.99 from the reg. $89.99), 1yr subscription (argh!!!!).
Applies only to Deluxe ($59.99 - 40%) and Home Business Editions ($89.99 - 40%) .
Windows only as far as I can tell.

Obviously, better than the 10% off they had going a couple of weeks ago (quicken-2018-available-10-off-2152321/)

But, as reluctant as I was to post this deal because I kind of want this subscription model based approach to fail (Been using Quicken for nearly 20yrs to track budget, spending, investments, and it is part of my daily routine but still will refrain from upgrading), it maybe useful for someone who needs/is itching to upgrade and wants to save a few bucks.

Expires Dec 27th, 2017. But stop, don't do it!!! :-)

I am actually temped to try the 30 day money back guarantee just to see how much things have changed since my 2016, the final pre-subscription based version. I'd probably end up keeping my 2016 until it becomes useless and see whether there will be changes for Quicken charge model.

(I bet you they are also playing the waiting game as they start retiring older version of SW and hope to get new sales as users reluctantly pay the upgrade/subscription fees to continue using their SW - but then again, they need cashflow to sustain a successful business, so they may budge in earlier, unless they have real deep pockets and really believe they'll be able to sustain a slow growing business. Talk about a run-on sentence)

Edit:
Seems like to get this deal, you have to fire off your existing Quicken SW (most likely a recent version), and if and when you get the Pop up, follow the links.

So I removed the "deal link" as you'd need to get to it via Quicken.

So, it is YMMV

In the above mentioned thread, you can also read about how Quicken eased down a bit on what you can edit after subscription ends. So it is not purely read-only - but again, things can swing in any direction.
Last edited by theshowman on Dec 24th, 2017 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
37 replies
Oct 1, 2008
127 posts
61 upvotes
1 yr? I used to use the software for 3 years before an upgrade. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5291 posts
5307 upvotes
Toronto
Deal/Product Commentary:

No reason to ever upgrade past Quicken 2016. They basically haven't changed anything in Quicken in about 10 years and the new owners are transitioning to a yearly subscription model to monetize their investment returns.

Unlike previous versions of Quicken, whose 3 years "expiry" merely limits some external import features, the new version no only locks you into a yearly subscription, it refactors your data to a new format that is tied to the yearly subscription (so not only can you no use the product if you don't renew, you can no longer even see/edit your own existing historical data.)

OP alludes to this "controversy" but potential users should be very careful and explicitly aware about what using any version later than 2016 actually means.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Jan 5, 2005
59 posts
17 upvotes
Thanks OP. Upvoted for the post, but like you I have mixed feelings on the ongoing subscription model.

You won’t find much has changed at all from Quicken 2016. The core software hasn’t had a significant refresh in years... with the exception of cloud/mobile integration which doesn’t really interest me today.

But Quicken is my Crack — I have faithfully tracked my finances with it for over 25 years. I have dabbled with other finance and investment software - but always come back to Quicken. For me, Quicken has helped me track and control my spending. I’ve watched my investments grow, using Quicken to view and track my asset allocations.

And because I have tracking everything in Quicken, my loyalty is my punishment - I will likely keep paying a steep subscription fee to keep my data intact and relevant. Sad, isn’t it?
Apr 14, 2006
203 posts
66 upvotes
St Johns
I want to buy it but didn't get the discount at checkout. Any codes?
Mar 30, 2007
364 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
tradinghumble wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:51 am
You have to open your Quicken and follow the upgrade popup that shows up. Op's link did not provide the discounted price at least for me.
Apr 7, 2007
570 posts
119 upvotes
Calgary, AB
If you do the upgrade does it add 1 year to what's remaining in your subscription or does it reset?
[OP]
Apr 25, 2005
734 posts
178 upvotes
I didn't need any discount codes. Mine shows up at $53.99.
Hmmmm, wonder if this is targeted as you have to log in with your Quicken ID.

tradinghumble wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:51 am
Mar 30, 2007
364 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmother wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:55 am
If you do the upgrade does it add 1 year to what's remaining in your subscription or does it reset?
It resets and that is why Im not buying.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2005
734 posts
178 upvotes
kashman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:53 am
You have to open your Quicken and follow the upgrade popup that shows up. Op's link did not provide the discounted price at least for me.
Thanks.
Updated OP with this and made it YMMV.
Apr 7, 2007
570 posts
119 upvotes
Calgary, AB
kashman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:57 am
Thanks for confirming. I'll wait for my subscription to expire as well.
I'm kind of hostage to these greedy bast*rds as well and don't really have a good alternative to switch to.
Personal Capital looks good for US based users. Wonder if they'll ever offer the service in Canada...
Aug 25, 2002
404 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
No offers or popups for me when I launch Quicken 2015.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2005
734 posts
178 upvotes
kashman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:57 am
Seems like you already have a subscription, and based on what you've indicated, they're not targeting this offer to Quicken 2016 or prior versions, and is also open to existing current subscription based customers as well, is that correct?

Because, looking at previous years' where Quicken was always heavily discounted during Boxing Week (BW) by retailers (I always bought it then), it is likely that they may keep this approach going forward as well (no guarantees). So if one were to upgrade now, by the time the subscription is up for renewal next year, it is possible to upgrade with some kind of a discount every year.
(just speculating at this point)
Apr 7, 2007
570 posts
119 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I just opened Quicken and a popup came up saying:
"2018 Release of Quicken is Here! Great News! Since you are already a Quicken member you have free access to 2018 new features".
Is this a trap? Do you recommend downloading the new version for free?
Dec 26, 2014
47 posts
66 upvotes
Cobourg, ON
Sure, subscription model...lol

I have been using Quicken for years and was pissed when they killed update downloads after 3 years use (I have Quicken 2015 ). Over my dead and cold PC will I be reprogrammed into a subscription.