Expired Hot Deals

[Quicken] Quicken 2018 (Canadian) at 40% off (Deluxe and Home Business Editions only) YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 8:28 am
Jun 6, 2009
38 posts
4 upvotes
Out of spite I am running still running quicken 3 for windows 3.1 on windows 10 in an xp virtual machine. Had to write a program to download the bank information into it.
Sep 23, 2012
23 posts
10 upvotes
Pincourt
forexnut wrote: 1 yr? I used to use the software for 3 years before an upgrade. :facepalm:
They've changed to the subscription model, 1 year at a time. If you have an earlier version 2015 and up you would still have some time before they disable the download access. 2015 most likely expires in 2018 and 2016 in 2019, so forth.

I'm not impressed with Quicken on the subscription model but if most people hold out for three years, then it might be tough to be profitable.
Mar 21, 2009
242 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone looking for an alternative can try simpletax.ca
You can use it, submit your taxes for free and pay what ever you like after. I have used it for 3 years, I generally pay $20 per return. It's a decent web based program. You can download a PDF after your done.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2005
841 posts
225 upvotes
EK75 wrote: Anyone looking for an alternative can try simpletax.ca
You can use it, submit your taxes for free and pay what ever you like after. I have used it for 3 years, I generally pay $20 per return. It's a decent web based program. You can download a PDF after your done.
This thread is regarding Quicken, the financial software as opposed to TurboTax / ex quicktax that is for income tax returns.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18360 posts
10976 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
This is "old news."

See Quicken 2018 available and 10% off.

Beware the change to an annual subscription model and the massive (as much as 3x or more) price increase.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1350 posts
94 upvotes
DuDe1411 wrote: back to ms money :D
Think I am going to do this as well in the new year. MS Money was always better than Quicken anyways.
Jun 4, 2004
537 posts
329 upvotes
Mississauga
I moved from Money to Quicken when I could no longer download transactions into Money. Has something changed with Money Sunset Edition?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1073 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
Like others here, I refuse to be suckered into a subscription model. I manually enter my transactions, so will continue with my current version until I’m no longer able.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1350 posts
94 upvotes
FFWD wrote: I moved from Money to Quicken when I could no longer download transactions into Money. Has something changed with Money Sunset Edition?
I moved from Money to Quicken when they discontinued support, but you could always download transactions still. You can not download investment data though.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2005
841 posts
225 upvotes
OK, as mentioned, I caved in to the 40% off discount (it is back to 10% now) just to try it out (the new Home and Business edition)- it has a 30 day money back guarantee, so I figured it would be risk free (hopefully) to trial it and see if it is worth the upgrade/

Long story short, in my opinion, the upgrade is not worth it (I was going from Quicken Home Business 2016).
I really dislike the updated interface (funny thing is, every time there was an update in the past as I upgraded every 1-2yrs, I disliked the newly introduced look'n'feel, but this time, it is a major downer). The new interface is really washed out and hard to distinguish. The customization is pathetic as well.
Feature wise, I don't notice anything new that I would be benefiting from (banking, budgeting, investments)- I am always forced to do manual bank downloads (QFX) as Quicken continues to struggle to download from my bank accounts (which span all major bank accounts).

Issues that have been bugging me for years, continue to exists:
- default report is sorted by Account/Date and I can't change that unless I save a report
- copy and paste short cuts inconsistent (sometimes can use CTRL-C/P/X and sometimes I have to resort to SHIFT/CTRL-INSERt, etc)
- sometimes going between CDN and US$ investment accounts gets the currency confused for security selection
- it doesn't by default pick the most upto date dowloaded currency exchange when entering a new multi currency transaction
- automatic download of banking info is all messed up for my bank accounts (TD, BNS, CIBC)

There are however performance improvements - in general, the new interface is snappier, and entering transactions and moving between accounts is faster.

I also tried the mobile app and the one the one thing that would have been very useful for me is to search for transactions in the past.
Haven't yet figured out if there is a "sync period" that can be customized (I did look but didn't find it yet), but so far, the searching is very limited.
Had automatic bank account downloads worked, then using the Mobile App to categorize the new transactions would have been useful (not very practical as I really like to use the desktop for that) but since that doesn't work for me, it is kind of pointless.

One last edit:
- Unlike previous years, it didn't seem to alter/convert the QFX file from 2016 - it seemed to use it as it was and updated it. I haven't tried to see if it is backwards compatible though - ie, if changes made with 2018 will work on 2016 - even if it works, it is kind of risky to do that. (would be useful for those who want to revert back to an earlier version in the future)

Anyhow, I'll be claiming my $53.99 (no tax surprisingly) as I will continue to use my QHB2016 unless it is a dud!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18360 posts
10976 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
theshowman wrote: Long story short, in my opinion, the upgrade is not worth it (I was going from Quicken Home Business 2016)... Issues that have been bugging me for years, continue to exists:... Anyhow, I'll be claiming my $53.99 (no tax surprisingly) as I will continue to use my QHB2016 unless it is a dud!
Thanks for confirming this and taking the time to share. I too have struggled with the issues you listed. I've even reported them to Quicken when I was a beta tester in the past--all to no avail.

As a result, after using Quicken since the PC-DOS days, my usage of will come to an end in a few months when Q15 no longer does updates. I've been paralleling this with a home grown spreadsheets since summer. That's not as fancy as Quicken but it works well enough to get the job done. So in my case Quicken's irresponsiveness to customers coupled with their greed has now lost them another paying customer. My free prediction to Quicken is that this "strategy" won't scale well.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote: Thanks for confirming this and taking the time to share. I too have struggled with the issues you listed. I've even reported them to Quicken when I was a beta tester in the past--all to no avail.

As a result, after using Quicken since the PC-DOS days, my usage of will come to an end in a few months when Q15 no longer does updates. I've been paralleling this with a home grown spreadsheets since summer. That's not as fancy as Quicken but it works well enough to get the job done. So in my case Quicken's irresponsiveness to customers coupled with their greed has now lost them another paying customer. My free prediction to Quicken is that this "strategy" won't scale well.
I am sure a lot of people would be interested in your spreadsheet. For me Q16 will expire for me at the end of this month. The basic version currently retails for $40.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18360 posts
10976 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Pavel wrote: I am sure a lot of people would be interested in your spreadsheet.
Mine is too specific to my own needs to be of general value. My intent wasn't to replicate all of Quicken but rather to replace just the functionality that I was actually using.

I used Quicken primarily to track investments and, in particular, track capital gains for tax purposes. The, um, basis for that is Free ACB & Capital Gains Tracker in Excel. I customised that to handle reinvested distributions such as some ETFs pay out. I also ported it to LibreOffice.

I'm not particularly interested in tracking annual returns. Most of my investments are indexed which I hold indefinitely. I know what those returns are simply by looking at index returns which are available online.

As for getting stock and mutual fund quotes, see https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 8#p3604618. This technique uses Google Sheets to get quotes from Google Finance, then LibreOffice inhales the NAVs into my spreadsheet. It's a bit complicated to set up, but once it is it runs reliably.

I also run a couple of cheque registers to track bank accounts. See e.g. Checkbook Register. Each register is a tab in the spreadsheet. I don't do enough transactions to bother downloading transactions from my bank in CSV, then importing them so I do that manually.

I also have a tab for tracking GICs.

And so on.

Hope that helps in getting people started in replacing Quicken with their own spreadsheet. Yes, it's a bit of work to set up. But the satisfaction of being freed from the clutches of Quicken's greed is, well, priceless.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 18, 2010
28 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
So today I go to update my transactions (Quicken 2015) and I get an error: "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for this download. Please try again later."

So I do some searching and it looks like Quicken is now blocking this as of May 31, 2018. These guys are getting super greedy. Forcing an upgrade when they do NOTHING to enhance their product. So frustrating after so much time and data invested with these guys. They should be coming out with new features that make me want to upgrade. Not this crap.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy