Expired Hot Deals

[Quicken] Quicken 2018 (Canadian) at 40% off (Deluxe and Home Business Editions only) YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 8:28 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18332 posts
10917 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
oleo wrote: So I do some searching and it looks like Quicken is now blocking this as of May 31, 2018.
They've been doing that for several years now. The software expires after three years even as the same bugs continue to not get fixed and the new functionality is mostly eyecandy that serves no functional value.

But this year they got even greedier and switched to an annual subscription model. Moreover you can no longer get the software at a discount, e.g. at Staples or Amazon, as in the past. So in effect the price increased and the period of validity was cut to one third of what it was.

These guys are getting super greedy.
Yup. Which is why I wrote my own spreadsheet and gave the greedy bastards my index finger. I encourage others to do likewise.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5530 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
But this year they got even greedier and switched to an annual subscription model. Moreover you can no longer get the software at a discount, e.g. at Staples or Amazon, as in the past. So in effect the price increased and the period of validity was cut to one third of what it was.
And they permanently convert all your data to the new subscription model data format and you cannot ever go back.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
My Quicken just expired as well. I tried Gnucash, it doesn't like my system so I uninstalled it.

Do we have any alternatives to Quicken that we can use, hopefully one that allows us to import .qfx and .qif data?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2408 posts
655 upvotes
Thornhill
Looks like my expired Quicken 2015 can still import QIF files, even though it can no longer use QFX files. I also cannot find a way to import OFX files.

Some banks still offer QIF files, but BMO, for example, does not. So I have to find a way to convert QFX to QIF files. Propersoft has such a converter, though it is quite expensive for such a simple text based convertor.
But may be still worth it to allow me to continue to use Quicken 2015. Anyone know of a free QFX to QIF convertor?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
I was reading online and some people recommended GnuCash, but in my experience, I tried it out but quickly uninstalled it because I'm not a program engineer or software developer. I found it too complicated to use and unreliable imo. It's too bad Tangerine doesn't uses just a few formats.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1204 posts
149 upvotes
Waterloo
Seems with the subscription model you get the latest version of Quicken when it comes out?

Also, it seems that the Deluxe version will do the work of my 2016 Home & Business version.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
I just found out (the hard way) Quicken changed their protocols. I had to reinstall Windows and Quicken too. However, I can't get past the Quicken Canada login page. It says an unknown error has occurred preventing me for accessing my backup .QDF file.

The only solution I have come up with is to buy Quicken and then cancel once I convert to .QIF or. CSV which can be read by other applications.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18332 posts
10917 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Pavel wrote: I just found out (the hard way) Quicken changed their protocols. I had to reinstall Windows and Quicken too. However, I can't get past the Quicken Canada login page. It says an unknown error has occurred preventing me for accessing my backup .QDF file.

The only solution I have come up with is to buy Quicken and then cancel once I convert to .QIF or. CSV which can be read by other applications.
Thank you for reminding me why I got rid of that buggy, proprietary, expensive POS sold by a bunch of arrogant, greedy bastards. I sincerely encourage you to look for an alternative.

The situation at Quicken is only going to get worse as their private equity owners become increasingly desperate to wring the last oink out of their lipsticked pig in a poke.

FWIW I created some spreadsheets that do what I need (primarily to track investments.) It's not that hard. It does what I need done without all the extra baggage from Quicken that I never had any use for. And the value of the satisfaction of giving Quicken the finger is, well, priceless.
veni, vidi, Visa