• Feb 22nd, 2010 10:30 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10053 posts
1530 upvotes

QuickTax vs UFile vs H&R Block Delux

Hi,

Anyone tried use both or all three of them?

I tried Studiotax and didn't like it.

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
I tried StudioTax and did not like it.

QuickTax is a very usable product but I switched to UFile.ca (online service) starting 2007 taxes and I am very pleased with the results. It's cheaper and I don't like Intuit's attitude.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10053 posts
1530 upvotes
How will you rate them in terms of ease of use and usefulness tax advices?

btw, I checked out the interface of UFile and HR Block and they looks very similar. Are they actually the same product?

Thanks
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 6:52 pm
I tried StudioTax and did not like it.

QuickTax is a very usable product but I switched to UFile.ca (online service) starting 2007 taxes and I am very pleased with the results. It's cheaper and I don't like Intuit's attitude.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
I haven't used H&R Block so I wouldn't know about that.

Please remember, Ufile and UFILE.CA are different products!

I think QuickTax and Ufile.ca are about the same in ease of use. For tax advice, you should phone the CRA or use an accountant.

Being a single person with no dependants who cashed in on the early coupon, UFile.ca was cheaper for me. Also, I don't like the attitude of Intuit. I think they are becoming like AOL.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jan 14, 2010
640 posts
180 upvotes
Central Ontario
FYI: QuickTax is on sale at Walmart (ON) this week $29.97. Which burns me to no end as I bought it for full price (39.99) at Staples a month ago. :mad:
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3407 posts
623 upvotes
QuickTax costs too much for what it is.

H&R Block's software is made by Dr. Tax, the company that owns uFile.

Best bet - use uFile - either the software version or the online version.

I use uFile.ca to file, no problems, easy to use.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10053 posts
1530 upvotes
Assume they all are the same price, which one is the best?

thanks
CorSter wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 11:06 pm
QuickTax costs too much for what it is.

H&R Block's software is made by Dr. Tax, the company that owns uFile.

Best bet - use uFile - either the software version or the online version.

I use uFile.ca to file, no problems, easy to use.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1653 posts
86 upvotes
I've been using StudioTax for a few years, but had some troubles with it last year and major difficulties with it this year (couldn't add a schedule I needed).

I filled out my taxes tonight using this:
http://www.udotaxes.com/eng/

Very similar to, but "nicer" than StudioTax. Same price too (FREE). The wizard in it doesn't do much for you aside from collect basic personal information. It is still easy to use though, just click through the forms and fill in any relvant highlighted areas. Validator works great and caught a subtle error I made.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1867 posts
116 upvotes
I used taxtron for years, but switched to ufile since 2007. It's very user friendly and cost less than quicktax ($20 vs. $30+).

Also tried studiotax one time but found it akward to use...so I opted to pay for ufile instead, which worked very well.
Feb 21, 2008
4 posts
london
myapple wrote:
Feb 21st, 2010 2:10 am
I used taxtron for years, but switched to ufile since 2007. It's very user friendly and cost less than quicktax ($20 vs. $30+).

Also tried studiotax one time but found it akward to use...so I opted to pay for ufile instead, which worked very well.

You could consider "Genutax" ...straightforward interview style. I liked it just fine. Costs 40bucks .. pay once then free every subsequent year.
Jun 25, 2007
1 posts
For those interested I just completed a review of QuickTax Platinum 2009 and I'm giving away 2 free copies of QuickTax Standard 2009 courtesy of Intuit Canada.

I've used the platinum version for a few years now basically for the investment options for deductions & claims. If you only need to do 1-2 returns the online version is much cheaper than the download/CD version (up to 8 returns).

Contest Details & Review
Aug 17, 2008
992 posts
395 upvotes
As a prior poster indicated, HR Block software is coded by Dr. Tax, the same company does UFile.

Quicktax Sucks. Quicktax is overpriced. Intuit is unethical... it's attempt to increase revenues for 2007 by reducing the return limit to 2 returns and only putting that important information in the fine print backfired badly, as many people switched to Ufile and realized UFile is superior.

Ufile standard ($19.99) is as good as or better than Quicktax premium and Quicktax business unincorporated. Quicktax is american owned. Ufile is Canadian.

Other reviews have noticed that UFile deduction maximizer is superior to Quicktax.

UFile is way better than QuickTax. I hate Intuit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8202 posts
1102 upvotes
I don't see what's wrong with Studiotax. For me tax software is a way to fill out the forms electronically, not use my messy handwriting. ST does the job.