Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto

QuietRock... RAWKS!

Did some major renovations to our basement ; complete gut job. The #1 goal was to make the basement as soundproofed as possible, with a reasonable budget.

Some of the things we used were full doors (i.e. not hollow ones), insulation specific to eliminating noise bleed between floors, and the use of QuietRock as a ceiling. QR is advertised as having the same density as 4 sheets of drywall within a single sheet. That stuff is *heavy!* Now, whether it was going to work as intended was a mystery to us. :confused:

I play music (guitar, bass, and piano) and like to listen to some rather loud if possible. What I wanted was for my wife to be able to read a book in peace upstairs while I'm jamming to some tunes or playing some on my gear during the daytime and the ability to listen to music at night without disturbing her, as she's a light sleeper. :cheesygri

We installed 2 sheets of QuietRock in the ceiling, along with the aforementioned insulation. For reasons I won't go into right now, the total process took 2 years!

But the end result is that I'm listening to some music at whatever volume I want while my wife is asleep upstairs, peacefully. Everybody's happy. Nay, I'm ecstatic! It was an expensive endeavor for us but entirely worth it. :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)