Careers

Locked: Quitting after working for one day?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 10:36 pm
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:20 am
Probably, but benefit of the doubt
Fair enough :)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4530 posts
497 upvotes
EehamK247411 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:02 pm
Hi, so I'm gonna give a little but of context here. I'm a teenager who got hired at my local Tim Hortons a few days ago. Today was my first day (it was supposed to be tuesday, but the manager seemed to not know that someone else was also starting that same day). Anyways, I worked today and I have to say: it is the worst job experience ever. I'm sure it's not the same in every Tim's across the country, but where I worked, it was horrible. First off, I specifically said I wanted to work part time, yet the manager gave me a full time schedule (8 hours a day from tuesday to saturday). Next is the fact that the manager seems nice, but she obviously has an anger management issue, she feels repulsed when we do certain actions (fold arms, lean on counter, etc.) and will scream at people for it. It was my first day, so I could clearly see how she held back to me.

Of course, those aren't the only problems but they're some of the ones I decided to point out in this post. I'm planning on calling her tomorrow (since I don't work tomorrow because of an important appointment) and tell her that I quit. I just need some advice, is this a wise choice? Would this affect my ability to get hired again later? Also, what wouls be the best way to go around this, what do I say when I call her?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! I've worked at part time jobs before, and none made me feel so bad as this one.
It totally depends on how badly you need the job and possible future reference but it sounds like it really bothers you so maybe just leave. Personally, I would give it a few weeks before making such a decision.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15692 posts
4435 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
op got rekt
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
utuber wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:52 am
You do know that people take 2-3 jobs sometimes to pay off their Mortgages. That's the sad reality in GVR and GTA due to crazy house prices. When you have a main 9-5 job, retail & fast food jobs are pretty much all you can do.

Where I worked, one of my co-worker's had a decent office job/salary, but he used to work PT in Home Depot mostly on weekend - at least 2 shifts a week to keep up with his expenses. He wasn't even living a fancy life style, just to have a decent middle class life, he had to do this, due to the crazy cost of living ( especially mortgages ) in GTA.

He just had a simple house in the burbs and a so so car, yet he had to do this nonsense .
The OP is a teenager who's "worked at part time jobs before"...

And buying a BMW for someone he "cherishes", along with his other car that apparently he's keeping.
will-i-get-approved-bmw-finance-2140855/2/#p28437873

But he can pay the Bimmer off in 12 months (working part time at Timmie's?)...

C
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15692 posts
4435 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rekt
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1398 posts
272 upvotes
Get OP out the paint plz. His Nissan, BMW, Terrible Credit, ALL OF IT. Fake News!!!!
Jun 14, 2017
236 posts
207 upvotes
She sounds like a good manager that's doing her job to me. Crossing arms and leaning on counters is definitely a no-on in service jobs. Keep doing it and you deserve to get yelled at. You mentioned that she was easy on you on the first day and will continue to be nice to you if you don't make those mistakes.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40917 posts
9840 upvotes
unowned wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:58 am
Those who lack power (or money in this case) often seek respect by owning things.
well said unowned. :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40917 posts
9840 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:51 pm
The OP is a teenager who's "worked at part time jobs before"...

And buying a BMW for someone he "cherishes", along with his other car that apparently he's keeping.

But he can pay the Bimmer off in 12 months (working part time at Timmie's?)...

C
He could have created two RFD handles but I heard VPN (to be under the Mods' radars) is getting expensive nowadays.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1902 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
utuber wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:25 am
Not only people quit after one day, they make sure they are paid for that 1 day too. If the job sucks and the place sucks, its time to get out of there ASAP , doesn't matter if it was 1 day or not.

People get fired on the first day too, so it works both ways.

Sometimes people even quit after the orientation & training session. I had applied for a job. The first day we just had a 3-4 hour paid orientation type of session. There were 7-8 other new employees at this orientation session too.

The company was really bad & had lied to all of us during the interview stage. The job, place & work was not at all what we were told during the interview stage and the job ad they had given. It was an old company, who had changed their name & address and was projecting as a new company. So not much info was available about this company online.

After the 3-4 hr orientation session, most of us realised, what a fraud company it was & what lies they had told us. Most of us never arrived at work the next day..LOL. They had told us it was a fixed salaried marketing job, but what it really was , was a pure commission sales job. No base salary, nothing and not even a marketing job, but a sales job..LOL

But I made sure I was paid for the 4 hrs that I wasted after coming to the orientation session. It took them more than a month to pay me for those 4 hrs. But out of principle I made sure, I was paid for those 4 hrs. I can't even say I quit on the first day, it was before that..LMAO. The first day was the next day, this was just some stupid orientation session ..ha ha.
Glad you got your 32 bucks!
Nov 26, 2011
880 posts
115 upvotes
london
how will you pay your mortgage and bmw payments if you quit your tim hortons job? Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
EehamK247411 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:27 am
Alright, so here's my story. A few years ago, I was in a bad financial situation. Last year, I got a $30k Nissan ( before taxes and with $10k downpayment. My credit score is in the low 500s, though keep in mind I have not missed a single car or mortgage payment in the last 1-2 years since my financial situation has greatly improved.

If you need to ask any more questions to give an appropriate answer, please leave your question in the comments section and I will try to answer as much as I can.