Quitting day after I get my bonus

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2018 4:39 pm
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes

Quitting day after I get my bonus

I get a bonus based on performance, at the end of March every year based on the work for the proceeding year. I accepted a job offer to start April 23. I am now aware that I am getting it, plus more then I usually get, since I preformed well in 2017. I am now feeling super guilty. I love my boss and my job, only leaving because the company is closing in December of 2018, and it's a great opportunity. Should I:

1. Give notice a week early, and I assume my boss will not pay my bonus (which I assume he would do that - its a tiny company so no formal agreement exists)
2. Give 2 weeks notice, after getting the bonus.

Ugh. I need advise. It's a big amount of money and I would of course like to keep it. I have to move on, I can't stay until the end since the severance package is better then required by ESA, but not great and jobs like this don't come up everyday.

My CEO is based overseas, and in his 60s. He will retire in 2018 and will not work in this industry in Canada once the company closes in 2018.

Any helpful advise is appreciated.
79 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4083 upvotes
Ottawa
You answered your own question...not sure what you're expecting from us?!
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Nov 26, 2016
90 posts
35 upvotes
Don’t leave until you get there bonus
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4630 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
How is this even a question? If it saved the company $1 to fire you, they would do so. You don't owe them anything. You are getting this bonus because YOU made THEM money - likely much more than the value of the bonus in the first place.

Get the bonus, wait a day, then give your 2 weeks notice.
Mar 5, 2008
348 posts
36 upvotes
Two weeks notice. keep your bonus
you earned it based on your performance in 2017. the company wanted to reward you for that. its yours. dont feel guilty for moving on either. its business.
Jan 1, 2017
325 posts
192 upvotes
Why would you even consider giving notice early? Get your bonus first then give notice. If your boss is cool he would totally understand. Many people wait till after their get their bonus to quit.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
I'm asking to see if I'm a greedy POS mostly.
If I give notice before they pay - they won't pay.
If I give 2 weeks, it literally is the day after my bonus.
Maybe not a question, was looking for insight if I am acting unethically.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5090 posts
1452 upvotes
Montreal
do what the other guy did, just don't show up!
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:48 am
Why would you even consider giving notice early? Get your bonus first then give notice. If your boss is cool he would totally understand. Many people wait till after their get their bonus to quit.
My boss isn't cool - I've seen him screw people over. But he's been great to me.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
Distrust wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:51 am
Give them notice now. Forfeit the bonus.
You can easily turn down 10K? I am considering that - but I feel foolish.
Aug 16, 2006
201 posts
55 upvotes
If I know I won't be getting my bonus for leaving early, then I would leave after the bonus. I worked for that bonus. Its based off my performance. Beside the company is closing down. If you truly feel guilty or greedy, then dont do it. For me, I won't look at it as a greedy or guilty point of view.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
dimsum69 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:02 pm
If I know I won't be getting my bonus for leaving early, then I would leave after the bonus. I worked for that bonus. Its based off my performance. Beside the company is closing down. If you truly feel guilty or greedy, then dont do it. For me, I won't look at it as a greedy or guilty point of view.
I think I look like an idiot if I don't take it - for some reason I just feel super bad about it.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
104 posts
12 upvotes
I also reviewed my employment contract, says my "eligibility for bonus ceases once notice is given, or notice is received" so he for SURE won't pay me.