• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2011 3:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 21, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes

Quitting a job after a week!

I'm currently working at a company where I started a week ago. However, I have recently received another better offer for another company's new grad program which starts in June. My question was that if I quit my current job now (after a week), can the new company ever find out that I did such a thing? I do not have this job on my resume or the application form.

The reason I want to quit is because I want to focus on self-development (joining a gym to lose some extra pounds) because it takes me 2.5 hours to get to and 2.5 hours to get back from my current job, leaving no time for anything else. I do not have the option to move closer to my job due to personal responsibilities near my current location. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
21 replies
Jul 7, 2006
212 posts
26 upvotes
If they are in the same industry, then word does get around. If not, then just leave it off your resume. You gotta do what's best for you. People quit new jobs all the time. You would seem more stable if you stayed at least 6 months, but a 5-hour round trip is very time-consuming. Is this because you are taking transit? Is it possible to buy a clunker, lease or rent a car for the time being? Carpool?
Jun 16, 2010
297 posts
12 upvotes
Take the better offer, a 2.5hr commute each way is ridiculous. And if the current company finds out, who cares; that's just a reflection of the employee-employer relationship today.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
496 upvotes
Wow talk about naive youth. I would be out of there in a second if I was in your situation. Don't worry about hurting the employers feelings, that's ridiculous. Just look out for yourself. You have a (way) better offer so take it. Why would you bother putting the company you worked at for one week on your resume? Just forget about it, a week won't cause your resume to have any awkward gaps. People jump ship at better offers all the time, don't feel guilty about taking advantage of your situation.
Jun 5, 2010
280 posts
17 upvotes
humble wrote:
Jan 16th, 2011 3:28 pm
I'm currently working at a company where I started a week ago. However, I have recently received another better offer for another company's new grad program which starts in June. My question was that if I quit my current job now (after a week), can the new company ever find out that I did such a thing? I do not have this job on my resume or the application form.

The reason I want to quit is because I want to focus on self-development (joining a gym to lose some extra pounds) because it takes me 2.5 hours to get to and 2.5 hours to get back from my current job, leaving no time for anything else. I do not have the option to move closer to my job due to personal responsibilities near my current location. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Your travel is absolutely insane! I'm in Scarborough, and when I went to London it took me about 2.5 hours each way. I cannot imagine traveling that distance for work everyday. Take the better job ASAP!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
15 upvotes
They can replace you. You can replace them.
5 hours a day on commuting is 'tarded, do you crawl to get there?
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Take the closer job. Think about how much you'll save in gas and km on your car.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1348 posts
256 upvotes
nothing wrong with quitting after 1 week. just let your employer know whats happening.

hmmm maybe phone in on the friday morning (or whatever last day), and tell your boss u quit for a job closer to home
Dec 12, 2008
85 posts
1 upvote
Halifax
jswift79 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2011 10:13 pm
nothing wrong with quitting after 1 week. just let your employer know whats happening.

hmmm maybe phone in on the friday morning (or whatever last day), and tell your boss u quit for a job closer to home
Take the closer job, the company would do the same if they were you.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for all of your replies...I actually go from Unionville to Mississauga currently...To be honest, I didn't meet any people who go there from close to my house...everyone who I met so far lives in Mississauga. I take the Transit to get there, which is why it takes so far. I cannot afford a car just yet.
Dec 10, 2005
118 posts
10 upvotes
I know a few people who did this same commute, and the only way you can seriously cut down your commute time (if you decide to stay at the job until June), is if you take the 407, at least one way.

If you take 407 in the morning, then in the evenings hit a gym close to work (Pick up a goodlife premium membership. You can work out at any goodlife), you should be able manage on the 401 back to UVille.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1320 posts
95 upvotes
It would be very rare for your current company to find out about your new job offer. It won't even appear on your Canada Record of Employment until you actually start the job. Before you quit make sure you have a signed offer with that new company. Quiting your current position after 1 week may seem very weird for a young professional in the work force because you haven't worked long enough to know the reality yet but to be honest, it's a reality. I see people quitting after 1 week or 1 month because the role was not a right fit or a better job offer came in. In your case, the commute alone is reason enough to quit if you got a better job offer that is much closer to home. Telling your boss the situation is up to you - I think most bosses will understand the situation. 5 hours each day of commute is just absolutely ridiculous.
Sep 21, 2010
42 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
"i'm quitting this job."

"why?"

"takes 5hr to commute. i'm really sorry. it was nice knowing everyone"

"understandable"

besides, it's a legit reason. anyone would ahve done it. i commute 4hr/day, but i took on this job because our office is relocating to downtown within a month, and i am also moving downtown.

i feel you.
Jan 17, 2010
275 posts
11 upvotes
Niagara Falls
There's nothing wrong with that and it's a perfectly understandable reason - even if your new employer DOES find out (not likely)
× < >