Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto

R.I.P. Casey's. R.I.P. St Hubert??

Cara Operations Ltd eyes fast-casual dining, menu innovation to boost sales :arrow: http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... oost-sales

From the article:
"Since Cara merged with Prime Restaurants in 2013, it decided to phase out brands in its stable that have too much of an overlap. Casey’s, a 25-unit chain, will be converted into the larger Kelseys chain and other concepts such as Fionn McCool’s, beginning in July"

Since Cara foods already owns Swiss Chalet, I'm purely speculating that they have a desire to buy St. Hubert restaurants and convert them all into Swiss Chalets.
Further down the article it reads:

"Cara will look to set up an office in Quebec to establish a bigger presence in the province, or look at acquiring a Quebec-based company."

The elimination of St. Huberts is purely a guess at this point, but it does make some sense...
66 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
I don't see the elimination of St. Hubert, not a chance. All the Swiss Chalet's have been long gone from QC years ago. St. Hubert is firmly entrenched in Quebec culture much like Tim Horton's is entrenched in Canadian culture. If they do acquire it, the name will stay.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
Oh my God all we need is more God damn Fionn Mccools. Place is garbage man, yet there's lineups out the door every single night
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
If anything, they should convert all Swiss Chalets to St Huberts
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
twoplustwo wrote: If anything, they should convert all Swiss Chalets to St Huberts
+1

I miss St. Huberts since they left Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
twoplustwo wrote: If anything, they should convert all Swiss Chalets to St Huberts
+2
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: +1

I miss St. Huberts since they left Ontario.
they still have one in ontario, cornwall area I believe. I know cus I went there in 2011 and remember how good the chicken was.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
+3
On a recent trip to Cornwall I was reminded how much better St. Huberts is than Swiss Chalet. I wish they'd return to Toronto-even if it's only a St. Hubert express.

***edit note: I'm learning that there is also a St. Hubert express in Ottawa.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I beard Taylor swift prefers st Hubert over swiss chalet.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15771 posts
11167 upvotes
The Casey's in Cobourg will be closed soon, but the franchise owners / operators are going to re-open it as an independent bar and grill. I am actually quite looking forward to it, they are both nice people that run it. I hope it works out well for them now that they will have complete control.
Jun 17, 2011
194 posts
30 upvotes
MAPLE
Saint-Hubert>>>>>>Swish Chalet AINEC
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Your "Quebec based company" is definitely not St-Hubert but rather a piece of Pizza Delight Corp (Scores). Pizza Delight also own Baton Rouge and Mike's. It's a widely known Scores is a big money loser...will be picked up for cheap and Cara can turn it around.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Stronzo1 wrote: they still have one in ontario, cornwall area I believe. I know cus I went there in 2011 and remember how good the chicken was.
We got 2 or 3 sit-down St-Hubert's in Ottawa. Their new fast food concept they tried along the highway rest stops and in Ottawa is very successful, cheap to open and cheap to run and it's heading west...should pop up in the next few years.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Your "Quebec based company" is definitely not St-Hubert but rather a piece of Pizza Delight Corp (Scores). Pizza Delight also own Baton Rouge and Mike's. It's a widely known Scores is a big money loser...will be picked up for cheap and Cara can turn it around.
There was a Scores in NW Mississauga a few years ago. We enjoyed it, and it was miles better than Swiss Chalet. Sadly it only stayed open for about a year before shutting down.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Your "Quebec based company" is definitely not St-Hubert but rather a piece of Pizza Delight Corp (Scores). Pizza Delight also own Baton Rouge and Mike's. It's a widely known Scores is a big money loser...will be picked up for cheap and Cara can turn it around.
Pizza Delight still exists? When I was a kid, I used to love going there with my parents. Doubt it, but do they still have the octagonal boxes?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Doubt it, but do they still have the octagonal boxes?
That's a good question. Also, do they still let you grill your own bread?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Why turn that around (competing with St. Huberts) when Cara can take St. Huberts and perhaps easily drive Scores out? That wipes out all competition factors.
(***Note: This question is based solely on the idea that Scores is already "losing money".)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: More job losses?
So far, it looks like Cara foods intends to keep people employed. There is no word of an actual Cassey's doing a full shut down with no replacement.
ie staff at a particular Cassey's will become employees of Kelsey's etc...

Select locations are going private, with no franchise agreement, but at least they're staying in business.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)