• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2010 8:28 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes

R9 on credit report from 2005

I had a credit account that went to collections in 2005, then I paid it in the same year. Today it shows on my credit report that its "Written Off" instead of "paid in full".... does it really matter ? Also where or how do I find out what the Default date was? So I know when it will fall off the record in 2011?

My score is 587, with everything else decent carrying no balance instead of OSAP always paid on time. Only 1 R9 from 2005, is there ways of guessing how much my score will increase with the R9 off the record? will you guys guess it will "spike up"? lol
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1236 posts
72 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I had an R9 on my account from 2007 (which I didn't know about until 2009). Found on when looking for credit. Other than the R9, I had an OSAP loan, and two other creditors on my file, all in good standing, R1, paid on time. Everything but the OSAP was paid-off actually. My credit score was in the low 500's.

The one R9 KILLED ME! I didn't get approved for anything, even a $500 credit card. Even if I wanted a secured card, they wanted something crazy like a $2000 deposit.

It took me almost one full year to get the company to remove the R9 for me (It was their mistake, I wasn't even supposed to get the R9 since I paid off the entire owing balance, $1000 @ Best Buy, in one payment!!!)

They finally removed it a few weeks ago, and my credit score shot up to the mid 700's! Within 72 hours of the R9 being removed from my file, CIBC asks me if I want to activate a credit card with them since I have a pre-approval on my file for $3k. Of course they did a hard-pull of my report once I agreed, but yeah, it made a huge difference!

Good luck!

(FYI: I'm also only 21 years old (22 in July) & a student, so if you're older + have a steady job lenders may be able to help you out a lot more even with a low score)
Apr 1, 2009
406 posts
12 upvotes
With an R9 on your credit bureau, it will be tough to get approved for a mortgage, loan, line of credit, etc.
I would suggest contacting Equifax and Trans Union to get that removed from your credit bureau as soon as possible.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1236 posts
72 upvotes
Niagara Falls
tophomeloans wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 10:06 pm
With an R9 on your credit bureau, it will be tough to get approved for a mortgage, loan, line of credit, etc.
I would suggest contacting Equifax and Trans Union to get that removed from your credit bureau as soon as possible.
Good luck getting them to remove it unless it was THEIR MISTAKE! The only reason they removed mine was because of this. If it was indeed a true R9, even if I paid it off, they said it wouldn't go anywhere for 7 years, but because it was the companies error in reporting, the R9 was removed, after a year of back & forth battles with said company!

Also, he said it was sent to collections & then he paid it off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe once an account is sent to collections It's already written-off as a bad-debt, so the company is at a loss. When you paid it off, you paid the agency. I don't think paying it off makes a difference. You could've not paid the collections agency and it probably wouldn't make much difference in your credit score.

I would call TU & Equifax to tell them you've paid it in full & give them proof of that so they can change it to paid, but it won't change the R9 status. That will remain on your credit report. Then I'd call the company who sent your account to collections & ask them if there's anything they can do for you. BEG them! haha.

Good luck!
Jun 20, 2010
52 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
My R9 was from 2005, settled in 2008 but wasn't reported. I had CIBC tell me that they couldn't do anything for me until it was corrected to Written off- paid.

Last spring I was at 585 and I'm sitting at 650 right now and can't wait until February 2011.
Apr 15, 2009
79 posts
chen0289 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 4:39 pm
I had a credit account that went to collections in 2005, then I paid it in the same year. Today it shows on my credit report that its "Written Off" instead of "paid in full".... does it really matter ? Also where or how do I find out what the Default date was? So I know when it will fall off the record in 2011?

My score is 587, with everything else decent carrying no balance instead of OSAP always paid on time. Only 1 R9 from 2005, is there ways of guessing how much my score will increase with the R9 off the record? will you guys guess it will "spike up"? lol
COLLECTION ACCOUNTS A collection account under public records will automatically purge from the system six (6) years from the date of last activity.
Apr 1, 2009
406 posts
12 upvotes
Nurse2B wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 10:52 pm
Good luck getting them to remove it unless it was THEIR MISTAKE! The only reason they removed mine was because of this. If it was indeed a true R9, even if I paid it off, they said it wouldn't go anywhere for 7 years, but because it was the companies error in reporting, the R9 was removed, after a year of back & forth battles with said company!

Also, he said it was sent to collections & then he paid it off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe once an account is sent to collections It's already written-off as a bad-debt, so the company is at a loss. When you paid it off, you paid the agency. I don't think paying it off makes a difference. You could've not paid the collections agency and it probably wouldn't make much difference in your credit score.

I would call TU & Equifax to tell them you've paid it in full & give them proof of that so they can change it to paid, but it won't change the R9 status. That will remain on your credit report. Then I'd call the company who sent your account to collections & ask them if there's anything they can do for you. BEG them! haha.

Good luck!
If you get proof that it has been paid, then sometimes TU and Equifax will fix it. Also, the bank will usually use that as confirmation; however, if you have a bad credit score, no piece of paper can fix that.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
babynorth wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 4:53 pm
COLLECTION ACCOUNTS A collection account under public records will automatically purge from the system six (6) years from the date of last activity.
I knew I had some bad collections that was paid, just didn't know it was a R9, until my mortgage broker showed me, but since my co-signer was solid the mortgage went through with 20% down variable under the new rules.

So is the R9 set by the collection agency after failed attempt? what R# is it when the bank send it to any collection agency before any collection attempt is made?

How can I find out the date of last activity on my credit report for the R9 I'm guessing that would be the date it was set to R9 on?

What I like to know is if its 6 years by next year, should I bother correcting it from a "Write off" to "Paid off", I do have proof its paid, but if its still at a R9 does Write off - Paid off really make a difference on the score? or does it really matter since the whole account will be off my credit report?
Mar 3, 2009
387 posts
32 upvotes
Nurse2B wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 10:52 pm
Good luck getting them to remove it unless it was THEIR MISTAKE!!
Hopefully they can remove the stuff on my credit report. I have been using Transunion (I check my score once a year) for years now and my credit score is 800+ with them. However, tonight I tried to get my Equifax score and apparently... I financed a car in 2009 and I got a student loan in 2010. WHAT THE HELL?

I have never in my life applied for a student loan. I JUST finished working my way through my masters and I am debt free. Furthermore, I DO NOT own a car.

I wish I can find out who the !@#! is using my SIN number and my spotless credit profile to apply for this crap. I wish I could personally smash his/her face in.

Anyways, I am calling Equifax first thing tomorrow. I am so pissed right now.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
Madorski wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 11:06 pm
My R9 was from 2005, settled in 2008 but wasn't reported. I had CIBC tell me that they couldn't do anything for me until it was corrected to Written off- paid.

Last spring I was at 585 and I'm sitting at 650 right now and can't wait until February 2011.
did you do anything to improve your score while you were waiting for the magical 6 years? From what I read don't apply for anymore, stay below 50% available credit limit.
Jun 20, 2010
52 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
Well the 585 was actually from having 0 credit.

What I did, was as follows:
- Applied for 2 secured cards (Home Trust Visa & Peoples Trust MC)
- Financed a vehicle through Scotia Dealer Advantage w/ a co-signer.

My utilization is actually a little high (because the avail credit is only about $1500) but other than that, nothing.

Thankfully time heals all, but time takes too long!
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
ok my Equifax report is the same one my broker showed me, but my transunion one is different, actually my score is actually higher in Transunion it shows 605 but Equifax only 587? are the two places suppose to have the same score? the main thing is for my R9 account which was paid off in 2005 in Transunion it shows

Condition: [Derogatory]
Balance:

Type: Revolving account
Pay status: Bad debt/collection/skip
Payment: $0 Monthly (due every month)

Opened: 06/01/2003
Reported: 05/28/2008

is the reported date mean last activity date? meaning it will be 6 years from this date that it will fall off the report? in my Equifax report it says last actvitiy date 2005 and Written off

also in some of my other cards theres remarks like
Remarks:
Amt In High Credit Column (Disp 122-130 of Trade Segment) Is Credit Limit
??
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
my EQ is 587

for the same R9 account it shows last activity is 2005-06.... So I take it by next June my EQ will shoot up to mid 700's, and my TU showing last acitivity date 2008 will remain the same?

:confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1236 posts
72 upvotes
Niagara Falls
chen0289 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 3:31 pm
my EQ is 587

for the same R9 account it shows last activity is 2005-06.... So I take it by next June my EQ will shoot up to mid 700's, and my TU showing last acitivity date 2008 will remain the same?

:confused:
Mine was way lower than 587, with one R9, it was 511. As soon as the company corrected the R9 & made it an R1, my credit score went up to the mid 700's & I haven't had credit fairly long, I'm only 21.
Jun 24, 2010
15 posts
1 upvote
chen0289 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 12:08 am
ok my Equifax report is the same one my broker showed me, but my transunion one is different, actually my score is actually higher in Transunion it shows 605 but Equifax only 587? are the two places suppose to have the same score? the main thing is for my R9 account which was paid off in 2005 in Transunion it shows

Condition: [Derogatory]
Balance:

Type: Revolving account
Pay status: Bad debt/collection/skip
Payment: $0 Monthly (due every month)

Opened: 06/01/2003
Reported: 05/28/2008

is the reported date mean last activity date? meaning it will be 6 years from this date that it will fall off the report? in my Equifax report it says last actvitiy date 2005 and Written off

also in some of my other cards theres remarks like
Remarks:
Amt In High Credit Column (Disp 122-130 of Trade Segment) Is Credit Limit
??
My case is other way around...Equifax shows 670 and TU shows 590....also the R9's dont show in Equifax....but yeah that opened and reported thing confuses me too
× < >