Page 1 of 1

Rabbits keep eating up my lawn, what to do?

Posted: Sep 20th, 2009 11:47 am
by -=phelan=-
I've noticed that at night when i come back home, i see 1 or 2 rabbits that are in my front yard area nibbling away at the grass. At first i didn't think too much of it but after a week or 2 i've noticed that the grass around that area they were nibbling is turning yellow and i'm starting to see some bare soil. Is there a way i can discourage the rabbits aside from setting up an motion sensitive auto sprinkler system @ night?

Re: Rabbits keep eating up my lawn, what to do?

Posted: Sep 20th, 2009 11:57 am
by win-star
setup a plate or something filled with some lettuce and carrots and see what happens ... or catch them and take them some where they can live in the wild or keep them as pets.

Posted: Sep 20th, 2009 12:06 pm
by speedyforme
poison, but enough so that they can hop away and die on someone else's lawn

Posted: Sep 20th, 2009 12:17 pm
by elmst200
raise a wild rabbit as a pet would be difficult. Also rabbit tends to be messy, so watch your house..
win-star wrote:
Sep 20th, 2009 11:57 am
setup a plate or something filled with some lettuce and carrots and see what happens ... or catch them and take them some where they can live in the wild or keep them as pets.

Posted: Sep 20th, 2009 2:46 pm
by Spray

Posted: Sep 20th, 2009 2:50 pm
by woof
I have lots of critters feeding on my lawn from gophers to rabbits to geese (they're the worse because of the crap). There's 3 rabbits that come around at various times. The damage they cause is unnoticeable because the grass is so healthy and grows so quickly (fertilizer!) that they're not a problem. And yeah I feed them carrots, pizza crusts and the like so they don't really eat a lot of grass any more in my yard at least. I also have a cat now who chases them off at night.

The only noticable damage the rabbits ever caused was on newly seeded areas. I guess the young shoots coming are more tender than the aged grass so they tended to pick on those areas repeatedly until that grass eventually got old enough that it didn't taste so good any more and they moved on.

There are special products that you can sprinkle about which repel rabbits. Not sure of the names but check Home Depot and Can Tire, and gardening places.