Pets

Rabies shot for dogs, how much does your vet charges?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2013 2:27 am
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2007
78 posts

Rabies shot for dogs, how much does your vet charges?

I thought rabies shot wouldn't be that expensive.
I wish the gov would subsidize the cost of rabies shot

How much did you pay for the rabies shot?
What's your dog's breed?
33 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
dude it's like $80 bucks and you only do it every other year. If you can't afford that then how do you feed your mutt?
shaka braddah!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2668 posts
396 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Rabies are required every 3 years after the 2nd year ( http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html ) My vet charges around $70.
I do take my dogs in every year for a checkup - and that costs around $70 per dog and includes a poop check.
Since the vaccine can cause any number of problems (google vaccinosis) the least vaccines you do the healthier your dog will be. There is a very worthy organization that is trying to change the 3 years to longer since the vaccine is effective well past 3 years (going from memory here...read up if you plan on donating) Rabies Challenge Fund ..they are fighting for all of us :)
Mar 30, 2010
739 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
There are a couple of vaccination clinics in the GTA, google for their addresses.

They're a bit cheaper than an average vet but I don't feel that the exam they give the animals is adequate. Original owner was great, new owners not so hot and pushing 'stuff' that's unnecessary imo.

All animals *must* be checked before giving a vaccine, if they're sick in other ways it cannot be given.

We take our dogs in for a check up annually and the rabies is given every 3 years. It's the law where I live.......

Some dog owners prefer to have titres done, to check for immunity but I won't 'go there' after the heartworm thread.

I doubt OP would want titres done, if worried about vaccination costs.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2668 posts
396 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I never bothered with titres..from what I was told by a person who's opinion I respect, that titres can be quite low...only until a threat is detected will the antibodies rise up and protect the dog..so some feel they are a waste of money. You'd only titre for the non-core vaccines.
Rabies on the other hand are required unless there is a medical exemption.
http://www.siriusdog.com/rabies-vaccina ... ns-law.htm

Oh, and be sure your vet doesn't use Fort Dodge products/vaccines..google if you want to research it..they have a terrible track record. Ask your vet beforehand who is the rabies vax supplier.
Dec 21, 2007
389 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
Our town has a Rabies Clinic every Sept. It's $15. Maybe try calling around to see if there is a Rabies Clinic in your area?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2668 posts
396 upvotes
Aurora, ON
TruHP wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:18 pm
Our town has a Rabies Clinic every Sept. It's $15. Maybe try calling around to see if there is a Rabies Clinic in your area?
What occurs to me when I think of these free clinics..what other diseases are you subjecting your pet to while your waiting your turn? While they're great if you really can't afford a proper annual exam, be warned you may be bringing home more problems than you bargained for. Not everyone is as diligent as you might be with their pets health.
Just my 2cents...I figure, you have a dog..it's gonna cost... :)
Apr 20, 2008
482 posts
22 upvotes
Vaughan
my vet charges 15$ for the shot

but the vet visit is 48$

my puppy is getting his 3rd shot + rabbie and it comes to 68$ all inclusive so ya

The other places I checked charges 20-30$ for the rabbie shot but mainly the cost is to cover the vet visit
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8071 posts
43 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Including the test we pay about $80 for the visit.

Less of course if the shot doesn't have to be administered. There's no way I'd ever let a year go by without a full physical for my little girl. :)
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4042 posts
142 upvotes
purine5 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:24 am
I thought rabies shot wouldn't be that expensive.
I wish the gov would subsidize the cost of rabies shot

How much did you pay for the rabies shot?
What's your dog's breed?
Why would the government subsidize the cost of you taking care of something that YOU decided to purchase and care for? Pets should only be acquired by people who can afford to take care of them. Didn't you look into the cost of owning a pet before you got one?
ricoboxing wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:34 am
dude it's like $80 bucks and you only do it every other year. If you can't afford that then how do you feed your mutt?
+1. If $80 once a year is too much to spend on your pets exam/vaccines then how do you afford to have the pet in the first place.
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 11:34 am
Rabies are required every 3 years after the 2nd year ( http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html ) There is a very worthy organization that is trying to change the 3 years to longer since the vaccine is effective well past 3 years (going from memory here...read up if you plan on donating) Rabies Challenge Fund ..they are fighting for all of us :)
By law, your dog/cat's rabies vaccine is required to be up to date. If the vet uses the one year rabies vaccine, then it must be given annually. If your vet gives the three year vaccine, then every three years. Until the law changes, it doesn't matter how long the vaccine is good for anecdotaly, the vaccine still needs to be up to date.
Lucky Ducky wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 11:41 am
We take our dogs in for a check up annually and the rabies is given every 3 years. It's the law where I live.......

Some dog owners prefer to have titres done, to check for immunity but I won't 'go there' after the heartworm thread.

I doubt OP would want titres done, if worried about vaccination costs.
Its the law everywhere in Ontario to have dogs up to date on their rabies vaccines. If your dog is not up to date, you can be issued an order to have your pet vaccinated. Showing titre results will not exempt you from having to obey the order.
TruHP wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:18 pm
Your local health department or area municipality may run low cost rabies clinics a few times a year.
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:25 pm
What occurs to me when I think of these free clinics..what other diseases are you subjecting your pet to while your waiting your turn? While they're great if you really can't afford a proper annual exam, be warned you may be bringing home more problems than you bargained for. Not everyone is as diligent as you might be with their pets health.
Just my 2cents...I figure, you have a dog..it's gonna cost... :)
Yes, remember that these low cost rabies clinics only issue the rabies vaccine. No physical exam is given and no other vaccines are given. Also, these clinics usually use the 1 year effective rabies vaccine instead of the three year.
king_george wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:34 pm
Including the test we pay about $80 for the visit.

Less of course if the shot doesn't have to be administered. There's no way I'd ever let a year go by without a full physical for my little girl. :)
Yes, consider the money spent for the physical as well and not only for the rabies vaccination. While Rabies vaccination is required by law and must be kept up to date, rabies is rare in domestic animals in Ontario. Its the physical that is even more important as an annual physical by a vet can help detect many health conditions.
Dec 21, 2007
389 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
To the person concerned about my dog's health we our vet comes to the house. Also she was wondering about the health of the dogs going to the rabies clinics. While we have never been to one.. taking your dog to the rabies clinic would expose your dog to no more diseases then if you were to take him to the park, etc.

Any pet is going to cost you money. We just spent $600 on our dog as when our vet came to the house to do his annual heartworm testing he showed an early positive for Lyme Disease. Multiple retesting and antibiotics he is now Lyme free. He was treatable with antibiotics as we caught it so early. He caught it in our own backyard.. so you never know. We happily paid the bills to keep him healthy.
Nov 24, 2006
67 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary
amz155 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 5:29 pm
Why would the government subsidize the cost of you taking care of something that YOU decided to purchase and care for? Pets should only be acquired by people who can afford to take care of them. Didn't you look into the cost of owning a pet before you got one?

+1. If $80 once a year is too much to spend on your pets exam/vaccines then how do you afford to have the pet in the first place.

By law, your dog/cat's rabies vaccine is required to be up to date. If the vet uses the one year rabies vaccine, then it must be given annually. If your vet gives the three year vaccine, then every three years. Until the law changes, it doesn't matter how long the vaccine is good for anecdotaly, the vaccine still needs to be up to date.

Its the law everywhere in Ontario to have dogs up to date on their rabies vaccines. If your dog is not up to date, you can be issued an order to have your pet vaccinated. Showing titre results will not exempt you from having to obey the order.

Your local health department or area municipality may run low cost rabies clinics a few times a year.

Yes, remember that these low cost rabies clinics only issue the rabies vaccine. No physical exam is given and no other vaccines are given. Also, these clinics usually use the 1 year effective rabies vaccine instead of the three year.

Yes, consider the money spent for the physical as well and not only for the rabies vaccination. While Rabies vaccination is required by law and must be kept up to date, rabies is rare in domestic animals in Ontario. Its the physical that is even more important as an annual physical by a vet can help detect many health conditions.
Thank God there's people like you around to be the parent we never asked for. Without your pounding fist wisdom where would our earth be? I'm sure you private messaged this person first to find out there whole story before publicly blasting them. After all with attacks like that you must have deep knowledge of their life.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4042 posts
142 upvotes
mrp73 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2010 2:53 pm
Thank God there's people like you around to be the parent we never asked for. Without your pounding fist wisdom where would our earth be? I'm sure you private messaged this person first to find out there whole story before publicly blasting them. After all with attacks like that you must have deep knowledge of their life.
WT heck are you talking about? PM'd the OP? Why would I bother? Is that what people actually do? What attack? Its an opinion. Lemme guess, you agree with the OP that rabies vaccines for dogs should be subsidized? Pfft, gimmie a break. There are some vaccine the govt' doesn't pay for for humans and the OP thinks animal vaccines should be subsidzied? And what pounding fist wisdom are you talking about? I enforce Rabies legislation so I 'm just reporting the truth.
Nov 3, 2007
560 posts
54 upvotes
EDM, AB
I always pay $0 for anything at the Vet. But the vet clinic is owned by my family so...

As someone recently told me, when we got into a discussion about vet clinic pricing, is that pets are a luxury. You don't NEED pets, they aren't a necessity!

Back to pricing- call around! Call smaller places outside of town too. You might be surprised how much you can save on a vet bill by just driving a little further!
Contests Won:
$500 NCIX Gift Certificate Contest! - Jan 2008
Free pair of M11+/M11P+ from Meelec.com - Sept 2010
× < >