• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2009 9:18 am
Tags:
Sep 9, 2004
145 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Raccoon Infestation

The pesky raccoons are giving us trouble in our new place...They come out during the night, climb up to the balcony and poop on the ground. :mad:
We can't enjoy the open cool air for this reason... :(

We need help in getting rid of them, humanely and cheaply ;) ...We don't leave any food/garbage outside at all for them to go through!!

Why do they keep coming and climbing back up??? :confused:

HELP!!
12 replies
Jun 14, 2004
149 posts
41 upvotes
mabye some barb wire from where they actually climb up?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
1605 posts
371 upvotes
Edmonton
freebiejunkie wrote:The pesky raccoons are giving us trouble in our new place...They come out during the night, climb up to the balcony and poop on the ground. :mad:
We can't enjoy the open cool air for this reason... :(

We need help in getting rid of them, humanely and cheaply ;) ...We don't leave any food/garbage outside at all for them to go through!!

Why do they keep coming and climbing back up??? :confused:

HELP!!
wow..........
What floor are you on? How do they get onto the balcony?
Any idea what's attracting them?-There must be a reason, it's not just a toilet right?
If you can figure out how they're getting access - then you can dissuade them from getting there. You could purchase the strips they nail on the floor to hold carpet down and use double sided tape to hold them in place. Basically it will turn the area into a "bed of nails" and they will get out of the habit of coming there very quickly. Should just take a couple of days - if there is nothing that is attracting them...
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Be very, very careful with raccoon feces if you have kids or pets. Raccoons routinely have roundworms which can cause serious problems in humans, including blindness. They also carry leptospirosis which can be transmitted to your pets. Pets can be vaccinated for lepto but it's not included in the normal shots. Ask your vet if they offer it.
Jun 26, 2006
439 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
They're attracted to your lawn grubs.

"Raccoons are attracted to lawns and gardens, especially after a rainfall when grubs and larvae are near the surface. They dig small round holes and, in some cases, actually roll up large chunks of sod in order to eat the grubs.
Grubs feed on the grass root system, destroying the grass."

"Deterrent methods
Sprinkling pure soap flakes on the lawn and watering thoroughly. Mixing bone meal in garden soil. Sprinkling diluted tabasco sauce over fruits and vegetables (wash before eating). Lighting up the area where raccoons are a problem. Use one 100 watt bulb for every 15 square metres of garden
(50 ft. by 50 ft.)."

"How should I clean up raccoon feces?
Material contaminated with raccoon feces should be removed carefully and burned, buried or sent to a landfill. Care should be taken to avoid contaminating hands and clothes. The use of gloves and facemask will help prevent cross contamination. Treat decks, patios, and other surfaces with boiling water.

Always wash hands well with soap and running water, to help further reduce possible infection."

To get more info >> http://www.toronto.ca/animal_services/raccoon.htm
"Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey." :cheesygri
[OP]
Sep 9, 2004
145 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Wow! Thanks for the advice...this is quite overwhelming...it's even giving me
the creeps...

Are there any professional raccoon terminators out there??
Aug 8, 2006
4 posts
Thornhill
try spreading using cajun pepper around, it worked for me in my garbage area.
Jun 26, 2006
439 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Are there any professional raccoon terminators out there??
Yes, there are... it's probably going to cost you a couple of hundred dollars. Why don't you try the hints listed in the link I mentioned earlier.
"Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey." :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2132 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
omg THREE just came into our backyard and now hiding under the deck

my dad is trying to hose them out now
Jun 26, 2006
439 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
There's a product you can buy at most hardware stores or garden nurseries, called "Critter Ridder". Man, your lawn must be a buffet heaven for these raccoons. :cheesygri
Jun 22, 2005
24 posts
Oshawa
ok, i have the same problem in my new house...the raccoons come every night and poop on the pool deck (we have an above ground pool). i think they climb over the railing from the tree. up til now i have been hosing it off with the garden hose, but my cat walks around underneath and probably snifss around that area. i am pretty freaked out now, i didnt know how dangerous their poop could be! i will try the nail strip on the tree where i think they come down, but this wont hurt them will it? any other suggestions about how to deter them from the deck would be appreciated...i dont like to use things that arent organic.
Aug 14, 2007
410 posts
95 upvotes
I seem to be having raccoon problems of my own.

I have an enclosed veranda at the rear of my home. It has a standard shingled sloped roof. At the center of the roof there is a bubbled skylight. It has been several week where raccoons have been coming up onto the roof and defecating 2 - 3 times a night next to the skylight.

In the past I have been very careful to physically remove the feces and wash the area.

The pesky raccoon(s) seem to coming back and leaving gifts for me. Since it is in an awkward area I am getting tired of going up there using the ladder etc. on a daily basis. Any suggestion in getting rid of the raccoons.

The roof is right below two rooms with screen windows. I would prefer perhaps an electronic pest control solution as getting up there to replace poisons etc. is not always be possible. The screen window is too small for me to climb out there so my only option is a ladder.

I am tired and weary and any help would be appreciated. I am afraid they are winning, but I did not hear any bells just yet.
× < >