None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

raccoons vs grape vines!

My backyard we have grape vines growing which is good but for the last few years we haven't been able to consume any of our grapes because these bloody raccoons have been frequenting the backyard. Is there any way to steer them away from the vines and the property? Are there permanent fixtures that could be added to the backyard to piss these raccoons off without being an eyesore?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1124 posts
18 upvotes
You could try buying those electric fences and wire it up if it's a trellis, heard on the radio that they don't like the smell of mint or like music (the ones in my city don't mind music or people so I don't think this will work).

The only thing that is guaranteed will work is to trap and kill the raccoons, there are just too many of them.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1339 posts
12 upvotes
The electric fence would definitely work but I'm not sure about the legality in Toronto. I suspect they are not allowed. A few years ago a neighbor and I looked into this and found a place http://www.wightman.ca/~blitz/ for all the equipment, power supplies, wire, insulators etc. My current problem (pun intended) is not with raccoons but with groundhogs. They have even eaten the tomato plants this year.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1339 posts
12 upvotes
Other odours that supposedly repel them are a tabasco and pepper combination and mothballs.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Electric fences are perfectly legal but what many use is motion activated sprinklers. They are available online and Lee Valley may even carry them. I'm sure there is even You Tube videos of them in action, which are quite funny BTW...
Apr 12, 2008
458 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I have a motion activated sprinkler called a Scarecrow, and it is indeed a lot of fun to watch it in action.

I bought mine to keep the neighbour's cats at bay, but it's nailed numerous squirrels and likely done the same at night to racoons too. Expensive but entertaining and useful.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
nornet wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 8:06 am
Other odours that supposedly repel them are a tabasco and pepper combination and mothballs.
My dad has grapes in his yard and he ties leggins or nylons with mothballs to the trellis and always has grapes to eat when they are ready. :cheesygri
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
M_Matt wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 10:12 am
I have a motion activated sprinkler called a Scarecrow, and it is indeed a lot of fun to watch it in action.

I bought mine to keep the neighbour's cats at bay, but it's nailed numerous squirrels and likely done the same at night to racoons too. Expensive but entertaining and useful.
I looked into it but I can't figure out where I'd set up the scarecrow unit as the the vines cover our patio and fairly up high. I was thinking of setting of getting one and setting it by the trunk of the vines but there is another way to get up :-(
Techhead wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 11:50 am
My dad has grapes in his yard and he ties leggins or nylons with mothballs to the trellis and always has grapes to eat when they are ready. :cheesygri

awesome i'm going to try that since it seems to be the most cost effective solution.
Apr 12, 2008
458 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, the scarecrow wouldn't work for your needs.

The problem with mothballs is that you'll get a nose full of them too. But if that's what it takes ...
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1339 posts
12 upvotes
I forgot about the most effective non poisonous repellent, Bloodmeal.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2005
1225 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Some people think human urine repels raccoons... good luck with your application though, if your vines are that high :cheesygri
Apr 26, 2004
611 posts
My colleague has raccoons going after his new sod. They seem to like the new tender roots before the sod start to attach to the lawn. There appears to be some auto sprinkler devices available that turns on with infrared. Just like those exterior night lights, except it sprinkler when it sense motion. It worked perfectly and doesn't harm anything. It may be trickier to setup for your case, but it works. Try to find one in gardening stores
Apr 12, 2008
458 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
That's the scarecrow that I mentioned further up, but it won't fit the OP's needs.

Are you sure the raccoons are going after the new sods roots and not grubs underneath?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
buyways wrote:
Jul 29th, 2008 1:54 pm
Some people think human urine repels raccoons... good luck with your application though, if your vines are that high :cheesygri
You could also waste your money on other old wives tales such as Fox and Coyote Urine, can be bought at some local pet shops.
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
ahhh... the update so I tried the mothball method but it has failed miserably. In fact they came back for 3 nights straight and right now I'm sitting on my deck with raccoon poop over my head cause they went from the vines to the clear deck cover thing that we have. Second thing tried has been using wiring, its appeared to help slow them down on the climb and be extra careful but also failed! I think for the next week I'm going to try leaving the radio and hope that will do the trick.
× < >