• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2013 7:36 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2006
118 posts
2 upvotes

Raffi Jewellers *WARNING*

First I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post, please move if so.

I'll tell you my story, 2 weeks ago I went into the Raffi Jewellers in Oakville Place Mall to get my battery changed on my Gucci watch. I talked to the jeweller there and told him I needed a new battery and he said leave it with me and come back in 15 minutes. Side note I was wearing a $5000 watch I don't know if it mattered as to what happened. I came back 15 minutes later and he told me he put a new battery in and it was still not working and he wouldnt charge me for the battery but if I wanted to send it out it would be 180$. 2 weeks later I started questioning what happened and decided to take it to a generic watch shop. I took it in and had the guy put in a new battery and check the old one....of course the old one wasnt brand new and it didnt have any power in it either and the watch guy said it looked old. Long story short I go back to Raffi Jewellers and talk to the manager, basically he defended the watch guy there and said I was wrong.

Please tell everyone not to shop there as they would have taken 180$ from me and kept my watch for a week just to change the battery and give it back.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3558 posts
26 upvotes
at least they didn't replace your watch with a fake one while you were gone
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7429 posts
2244 upvotes
Etobicoke
Your story bring up a good point I experienced years ago. Except it wasn't over watch battery (I had a "perpetual" watch that don't require winding or batteries) but over a simple adjustment of the watch band. Similar bad experience.

And that is exactly why I don't wear a $20K Rolex any more but carry a free Blackbery (from my work) that not only tells me the time but also has a whole host of other features.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7628 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Report the bastards to the BBB
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Ibuy wrote: First I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post, please move if so.

I'll tell you my story, 2 weeks ago I went into the Raffi Jewellers in Oakville Place Mall to get my battery changed on my Gucci watch. I talked to the jeweller there and told him I needed a new battery and he said leave it with me and come back in 15 minutes. Side note I was wearing a $5000 watch I don't know if it mattered as to what happened. I came back 15 minutes later and he told me he put a new battery in and it was still not working and he wouldnt charge me for the battery but if I wanted to send it out it would be 180$. 2 weeks later I started questioning what happened and decided to take it to a generic watch shop. I took it in and had the guy put in a new battery and check the old one....of course the old one wasnt brand new and it didnt have any power in it either and the watch guy said it looked old. Long story short I go back to Raffi Jewellers and talk to the manager, basically he defended the watch guy there and said I was wrong.

Please tell everyone not to shop there as they would have taken 180$ from me and kept my watch for a week just to change the battery and give it back.

We had a watch shop in our town that finally got caught switching out the mechanisms. I wonder sometimes how many years have they been doing this?
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
362 upvotes
Etobicoke
Don't buy an expensive watch cuz you might get jammed up when you need repairs? How ridiculous. Just find a reputable jeweller...word of mouth (perhaps right here at RFD) or through the BBB. As in any business, there's good and there's bad. I'd never take a good piece of jewellery to just any jeweller without knowing anything about their reputation, it's not that hard to find honest business people.
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Geez, I'm still wearing the Seiko watch I bought 30 years ago. And I change my own battery. I feel so.... so... cheap!

If I had a $5000 watch and I was just getting the battery changed I would not leave it with anyone. I would stand there and wait the 15 minutes to keep my eye on it. I don't think they would pull a fast one if you're right there.
Mar 23, 2006
118 posts
2 upvotes
br0pbr0p wrote: Right...too bad most expensive cars already include FREE service for 3-4 years with purchase.

As for the original poster, why the heck would you not take a $5,000 watch to an authorized dealer?
I did take it to an authorized dealer, Raffi Jewellers is an authorized Gucci dealer.

I know the manager knew this stuff happened at his store because he didn't really care and was sort of smiling while i was describing what happened. I asked another employee there for the regional manager's telephone number but appearently it's a family owned multi store company. I called and talked to the owner of Raffi who works out of the Kitchener store and he said there is nothing he can do and hung up....bottom line...dont shop there
Mar 23, 2006
118 posts
2 upvotes
isajoo wrote: phone silverman!!!!
is it Silverman worthy?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2004
1468 posts
5 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Ibuy wrote: is it Silverman worthy?
I think we need to ring in matlock
Heatware 17-0-0
BST Feedback 8-0-0

All 100% buy with confidence
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213933 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Why not write to Gucci directly about this "authorized Gucci dealer" that is only ripping Gucci customers off? I'm sure they will revoke their "Gucci" lisences.

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Nikita wrote: Don't buy an expensive watch cuz you might get jammed up when you need repairs? How ridiculous. Just find a reputable jeweller...word of mouth (perhaps right here at RFD) or through the BBB. As in any business, there's good and there's bad. I'd never take a good piece of jewellery to just any jeweller without knowing anything about their reputation, it's not that hard to find honest business people.
I'm surprized the store you bought your watch from didn't include any free batteries are a maintenance program.

I have a watch from Birks and they include lifetime free batteries with the watch you buy there :)

I have also been or almost been ripped off by a local watch repair shop downtown in the mall.
I brought in my Timex GPS watch to get a new battery and they told me they couldn't garantee the work- really BS, said if it was garenteed I'd have to pay $100 extra, yeah whatever....

I brought my watch to Birks and it was $15 and no problems there, they can even test your watch to make sure the seals are ok!
Only thing I hate about Birks is you have to leave your watch for 1 or 2 days for service, but I'd rather go there than anywhere else for more expensive watches.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Jul 9, 2008
1 posts
1 upvote
This is interesting because I have had a similarly bad experience at raffi's, except this was the one in cambridge. I wanted to look at some engagement rings because my now fiance and i were talking about getting engaged in the near future. i went into raffi's one day, and i was wearing just sweatpants and a tshirt because i had just finished working out at the gym. they wouldn't give me the time of day, probably because of my appearance and the fact that i was just looking because ultimately he was the one picking out the ring. however, i wanted to get an idea of what i liked. the woman that was with me acted like i was wasting her time, and basically i felt extremely unwelcome. it's supposed to be a "fine" jewelry store, but they sure don't treat all their customers this way. i told my fiance to buy somewhere else in the mall -not from them.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
2265 posts
1594 upvotes
TapemanPL wrote: at least they didn't replace your watch with a fake one while you were gone
+1
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." :-0
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2057 posts
885 upvotes
woof wrote: If I had a $5000 watch and I was just getting the battery changed I would not leave it with anyone. I would stand there and wait the 15 minutes to keep my eye on it.
Freakin' right!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7743 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
zaggylos wrote: This is interesting because I have had a similarly bad experience at raffi's, except this was the one in cambridge. I wanted to look at some engagement rings because my now fiance and i were talking about getting engaged in the near future. i went into raffi's one day, and i was wearing just sweatpants and a tshirt because i had just finished working out at the gym. they wouldn't give me the time of day, probably because of my appearance and the fact that i was just looking because ultimately he was the one picking out the ring. however, i wanted to get an idea of what i liked. the woman that was with me acted like i was wasting her time, and basically i felt extremely unwelcome. it's supposed to be a "fine" jewelry store, but they sure don't treat all their customers this way. i told my fiance to buy somewhere else in the mall -not from them.
A) I love a noob who searches the forums to comment!! WTG!!!

B) These chain jewelers leave A LOT to be desired. Go to an independent jeweler and you will get much better service, design, quality for the same budget.
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Mar 1, 2011
1 posts
hamilton
thanks for this statement ,I have a loss at hand now and will let you know the out-come later this week. I should have done more "home work prior to purchase.
zaggylos wrote: This is interesting because I have had a similarly bad experience at raffi's, except this was the one in cambridge. I wanted to look at some engagement rings because my now fiance and i were talking about getting engaged in the near future. i went into raffi's one day, and i was wearing just sweatpants and a tshirt because i had just finished working out at the gym. they wouldn't give me the time of day, probably because of my appearance and the fact that i was just looking because ultimately he was the one picking out the ring. however, i wanted to get an idea of what i liked. the woman that was with me acted like i was wasting her time, and basically i felt extremely unwelcome. it's supposed to be a "fine" jewelry store, but they sure don't treat all their customers this way. i told my fiance to buy somewhere else in the mall -not from them.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
209 upvotes
When i saw the name i though raffi the singer

Apr 2, 2009
238 posts
94 upvotes
mississauga
The BBB don't have any teeth anyway. Don't waste your time. Canada needs a real Business watchdog!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)