Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 12, 2007
86 posts
Newmarket

Raffle/Draw - Legal?

Hi all,

Would like to have a raffle/draw for a weekly prize ($500 value) based on purchases. Is there any legal implications for this type of sales promotion?

Basically for every product purchased, customer will receive a ballot for a weekly draw.

Thanks!!
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15930 posts
6116 upvotes
You will want to find out what is legal in your province - I would contact the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

I am not saying you cannot just do it - I am sure many places do. But they can outline what is legally required - if anything. I suspect you are fine since you are not selling tickets directly, but again it would not hurt to just ask them as they are the entity that would deal with it.

Otherwise it would seem the largest consequence is someone claiming your draw is rigged so I would recommend having the draw done with witnesses and performed by an impartial third party (not someone / something that has an interest in winning) or an automated computer program (random number generator). Your liability is so low that I am not sure it would be worth fussing over - but rather just make sure you do not need a license.