• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 4:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 26, 2007
161 posts
53 upvotes

Raffle prize

Yes, I know I'm going to sound ungrateful...

I just won a charity raffle, and I know that businesses often unload stuff they couldn't sell as prizes.

I won 2 watches with a supposed value of over $1000. The men's watch (although ugly and 2 years out of date) still seems to have a retail value of $300-400 (close enough) and is loaded with features and a good warranty. The women's watch (also...uh...unique) is seemingly 8 years old and retails at Macy's and on Amazon for about $125. There's a warning to not even let water near it. It's junk.

Obviously I'm going to take them and say thank you, but is there such thing as raffle fraud? Would I be an awful person if I made a snide remark or asked for an extra watch strap or two?

(EDIT: I sent a thank you email to the charity. They gave me the certificate. I get the items at the store. In no way will I be asking the charity for anything.)

I know. Gift horse. Mouth. (Extra bitter because I'm getting the women's watch. And I like watches.)
Last edited by Jaye1111 on Sep 13th, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1491 posts
796 upvotes
The items were donated. The value stated need only be the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Value (past or present). As it is essentially "a gift" to the charity no one has to verify those numbers (unless the Donation qualifies as a Tax Deduction for the Donator... And in that case they'd need to provide receipts / proof of the value of their Donation)

From the Winners perspective... Ya get what ya get (AS IS)

So you don't really have a legal leg to stand on

I mean, think about it, if Winners start bringing court cases against Donators to Charity Draws, or the Draws themselves... Then this will diminish the groups / people / donators who go out on a limb to get involved with these charity operations

And who suffers then ?
The charities.

I am sorry you don't like the watch...
But hey, ya WON IT

Get over it.

In truth you did the right thing which was bought a ticket to support a charity
If you had not won anything... After all that is exactly where you'd be now
Having DONE THE RIGHT THING FOR A GOOD CAUSE

It's like any other prize (think door prize) if you don't like it... Just sell it. Sure that someone will want it / buy it

As they say, one man's junk... Is another man's treasure
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3224 posts
572 upvotes
London
Just take them and be happy. Where is a snide remark going to get you? And really you'd ask the charity for more stuff?
[OP]
Jul 26, 2007
161 posts
53 upvotes
Oh, I know the donations were for the tax receipt. And the ugly factor is totally my own taste. But that women's watch's MSRP wouldn't be much more than $100 in the prime of its life. It's being packaged as a his and "hers" matching set, but the hers lacks the features and the warranty of the "his". Of course I'm not going to sue over this, but I was thinking more that maybe I could ask for something else out of their backlog that would either be not ugly, be water resistant, or at least have a 3 year warranty.

And yes, I bought a ticket to support a charity, but I also went specifically to buy a ticket from *that* charity because they had a nice selection of prizes. I'm not blaming the charity in any way. I'm upset that the jewelry store blatantly lied about their donation and is benefiting themselves and yes, that I'm going to get a JC Penny watch. I'm assuming that the first place cruise doesn't take place in a rowboat either.

Again, I know I come off looking bad here, but this isn't just a 30% MSRP markup. This is a 400% markup on a discount store product (it's a really high end jewelry store).

And of COURSE I'm not going to ask the charity for anything. It's not their fault. (And they don't have the items, I have to go downtown to the jeweler). I'm just ... Depressed because I got such an excited phone call about winning 3rd prize and how it was such a great value and then finding out that the prize is not at all what it said. It's disappoinment talking.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1491 posts
796 upvotes
Trust me your whinging isn't going to get you anything more... Than to look bad ungrateful.

So give it up.

It's just a change of mindset.

Like I said just sell the watch... Even if you only get a few bucks for it, you'll come out ahead (ya won an ok man's watch and a few dollars).

We attend a fair number of Charity Fundraisers in a year... They all seem to have an element of this. They ask Cos for donations, and some donate their best stuff willingly while others use it as an opportunity to unload items.

Sure that winning cruise might not be in a rowboat, but there is a good chance it ain't in a suite either, and has heavy restrictions ON WHO can go (not transferable) - WHEN (no Holidays, not high season) - and WHAT is NOT INCLUDED (Airfare - Taxes - Fees - Tips - Excursions - Alcohol etc). Could be that the Winner ends up spending more on their vacation than they won.

Which is why it is so important to read the fine print BEFORE you buy a ticket... OR consciously enter the Charity Draw in the spirit that should be intended... GOOD WILL (ie doesn't matter if I win anything... It's for a good cause)

More often than not that is how we look at it. If there is one we enter because of the prizes ... Then we make sure we read the fine print first and are ok with the Terms & Conditions

Example... Hospital Lotteries, many items are AS IS (including houses). Sometimes Houses are non transferable, or the winner must hold onto it for a period of time before they can sell it. Vehicles generally must be awarded as stated, although sometimes there is the option of taking cash instead, but that amount can be as much as $ 10,000 or more less than the prize one. Vacations usually have lots of restrictions. Other prizes are what they are.

Ps... In the US things are even worse when it comes to Winnings & Lotteries. Everything is taxable. Even folks who win cars on the Price Is Right have to pay the taxes on the vehicle before they can claim / own the car. Same with the folks that Oprah gave away cars to many years ago on her show. So essentially there, someone could win something they cannot even afford to ever take possession of.

Count your blessings. Watch may be ugly as sin, but ya own it, got it for free... Do with it as you please.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
worst case scenario sell your watches on ebay and take that money and RUN. don't donate money to charity again. lesson learned. so glad you've survived after all that.
signature removed for inappropriate content
[OP]
Jul 26, 2007
161 posts
53 upvotes
Thank you all. I have the watches, the women's one had to be tuned up or something because he couldn't get it to start (new battery I assume). The guy even admitted that they had just been sitting in the back forever and then tried to sell me a new $50 strap to "give a more modern look" to the one that needed a battery. So he was just as bad as me. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1006 posts
269 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
How is a watch out of date? I thought to either ran fast, slow or not at all. But out of date?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
gift it to your grandparents and in return, you might get a larger split of the estate ;)
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
[OP]
Jul 26, 2007
161 posts
53 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:07 pm
gift it to your grandparents and in return, you might get a larger split of the estate ;)
Hahaha. They'd just end up back in my possession.

(And Poleman: outdated is just a function of a lot of rose-gold... Which was the style about 10 years ago. And the 80s. That's why the sales guy suggested a black wrist band to make it less old-lady-like)

They'll be sold eventually. I love the brand, just... There's a lot of rose-gold. And that will get me enough to buy more tickets in the next few years. (Hahahaha. Joke. Don't attack.)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Jaye1111 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:22 pm
Hahaha. They'd just end up back in my possession.

(And Poleman: outdated is just a function of a lot of rose-gold... Which was the style about 10 years ago. And the 80s. That's why the sales guy suggested a black wrist band to make it less old-lady-like)

They'll be sold eventually. I love the brand, just... There's a lot of rose-gold. And that will get me enough to buy more tickets in the next few years. (Hahahaha. Joke. Don't attack.)
its the thought that counts...the watch PLUS the house!!
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a