Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 1, 2010
124 posts
25 upvotes
Bolton

RAID Controllers

I want to look into backing up my personal data on more than just one hard drive in case of failure.

I used to keep my photos on my computer & external hard drive but now I'm limited on computer space and store them on my external only. Having just the one backup source worries me, but I want a simplified system.

I've been trying to look up information on RAID controllers which I believe will essentially use 2 hard disk drives and have the same info on both automatically in case of 1 experiencing a failure.

Can anyone tell me more about how they work, does your computer need software to do this or is it handled in the RAID controller electronics instead? Does your computer recognize it as anything different than a single drive? What should I look for in buying it? Can I hook it up to the USB on my wireless router and use it wirelessly? (that's what I do with my current external) Also, are they protected against surges? (The last external I broke because I accidentally plugged my computer power cord into it which had a higher voltage/amperage)

The questions above is more important, but if anyone knows of any deals on them right now that would be even better (Canada or US). Ideally I would like 2TB or above (per HD).

Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
10922 posts
1852 upvotes
edgarm wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 12:44 pm
I want to look into backing up my personal data on more than just one hard drive in case of failure.

I used to keep my photos on my computer & external hard drive but now I'm limited on computer space and store them on my external only. Having just the one backup source worries me, but I want a simplified system.

I've been trying to look up information on RAID controllers which I believe will essentially use 2 hard disk drives and have the same info on both automatically in case of 1 experiencing a failure.

Can anyone tell me more about how they work, does your computer need software to do this or is it handled in the RAID controller electronics instead? Does your computer recognize it as anything different than a single drive? What should I look for in buying it? Can I hook it up to the USB on my wireless router and use it wirelessly? (that's what I do with my current external) Also, are they protected against surges? (The last external I broke because I accidentally plugged my computer power cord into it which had a higher voltage/amperage)

The questions above is more important, but if anyone knows of any deals on them right now that would be even better (Canada or US). Ideally I would like 2TB or above (per HD).

Thanks!
Raid is not a backup solution, it only offers data redundancy.

If you want true backup. Try a remote online service

http://www.carbonite.com/
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
RAID isn't backup. It doesn't handle user deletion errors, fire, theft, etc and may not easily handle RAID controller failures or multiple drive failures.

Get a external 2TB hard drive and/or NAS and/or remote online service and just do backups.