• Aug 13th, 2017 11:49 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13907 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
Archanfel wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 3:49 am
Why? What's the point of living in a place that is not accessible? If they made the choice, why should others subsidize them?
Why should I have to pay an inflated 'delivery' charge on a Ford built down the street from my parents' house in Oakville just to subsidize some jerk in BC? Why am I paying for aircraft to defend Alberta? Why is anyone else paying for the highways I use? Why am I paying for anything outside my house?

With this mentality I'm surprised you don't live in a cabin deep in the woods away from civilization.
lemieux035 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 1:14 am
The Indian Act is a total disaster. They should stop giving free money to people with the Indian Card and integrate them to be full Canadians instead. This two-tier system is non-sense.
Agreed. What they should do is just give them their own provinces and allow them to self-govern as full members of the confederation. Places like Ontario and Quebec are far too large to effectively govern anyways, and it makes no sense to force the natives to live under a bunch of draconian rules that make no sense.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
113 upvotes
North York, ON
^you do realize our country is slightly larger than Japan, Korea and Thailand right? Our population is also a little bit less dense. It makes not quite as much sense to build high speed rail from Toronto to Vancouver as from one end of Japan to the other.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2935 posts
2069 upvotes
The BBC has today a very picturesque slideshow telling this story (the railroad to Churchill, MB).

http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20170 ... a-railroad

-------

Keeping track of subsidies for city-dwellers, the TTC riders receive $1 in subsidies for each rider (meaning for each ride: 1-passenger-trip) [subsidy estimated at $545M for 2017]

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... ystem.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/1 ... eenan.html
yare yare daze...
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
113 upvotes
North York, ON
aviador wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 9:44 pm
The BBC has today a very picturesque slideshow telling this story (the railroad to Churchill, MB).

http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20170 ... a-railroad

-------

Keeping track of subsidies for city-dwellers, the TTC riders receive $1 in subsidies for each rider (meaning for each ride: 1-passenger-trip) [subsidy estimated at $545M for 2017]

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... ystem.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/1 ... eenan.html
Prediction. First Nations will buy the tracks with heavy subsidies from the federal government. In under 5 years they will fall into disrepair from neglect and lack of maintenance. A chief will declare a national emergency and rush to Ottawa. Hunger strike. Canadian tax payers will pick up the tab to maintain and operate the rail line.

As is tradition.

Saw a brand new elementary school near me that would rival most new public high schools. Built on a reservation. In under 5 years they had severe mold issues because the maintenance workers(who had to be First Nations couldn't hire an experianced guy regardless of race) didn't know enough to run the exhaust fans.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15663 posts
439 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Sparky9087 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 11:56 am
Prediction. First Nations will buy the tracks with heavy subsidies from the federal government. In under 5 years they will fall into disrepair from neglect and lack of maintenance. A chief will declare a national emergency and rush to Ottawa. Hunger strike. Canadian tax payers will pick up the tab to maintain and operate the rail line.

As is tradition.

Saw a brand new elementary school near me that would rival most new public high schools. Built on a reservation. In under 5 years they had severe mold issues because the maintenance workers(who had to be First Nations couldn't hire an experianced guy regardless of race) didn't know enough to run the exhaust fans.
Churchill, MB really should fare better than other "native reservation" parts of the country.

Isn't it the "polar bear capital of the world"? They should really invest in their tourism industry - lots of potential there.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4687 posts
333 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 10:26 am
Why should I have to pay an inflated 'delivery' charge on a Ford built down the street from my parents' house in Oakville just to subsidize some jerk in BC? Why am I paying for aircraft to defend Alberta? Why is anyone else paying for the highways I use? Why am I paying for anything outside my house?

With this mentality I'm surprised you don't live in a cabin deep in the woods away from civilization.

Agreed. What they should do is just give them their own provinces and allow them to self-govern as full members of the confederation. Places like Ontario and Quebec are far too large to effectively govern anyways, and it makes no sense to force the natives to live under a bunch of draconian rules that make no sense.
You chose to pay a delivery charge (should always buy Japanese or Tesla). You pay for aircraft to defend Alberta because Alberta is productive, probably more productive than the rest of Canada. They pay for the highways because you would be able to get to work and pay taxes. You pay things outside your house so that you can get things in return. I don't live in a cabin deep in the woods because I can be more productive in a big city. Being part of a society must be mutually beneficial.

What are the reasons to fund this rail?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1052 posts
68 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 10:29 pm
You answered your own question. "It's not profitable enough anymore". The families are not trapped, they can move. According to you, they chose to move in the first place. Nobody forced them. If the government was stupid enough to subsidize a corporation without expecting returns (I doubt it), then it was their own fault.

The government should subsidize neither corporation nor individuals. They should invest. So far, I have yet to see a single person make a good business case to prove that paying that $60M would bring benefits to Canada. If you can prove to me that in 10 years, that $60M would result in $120M return to the tax payers, then I would gladly change my position.

There's nothing "technical" about it. It is very simple. Everybody has the freedom to live wherever they want as long as they are not subsidize by others. Is Canada being subsidized by Singapore, Europe or HK?

Canada should exist because we are productive enough to be viable without subsidy. If this place can do it too, then great, they have every right to be there and they can repair that rail themselves. If not, then too bad.

The minute we are no longer "profitable", Canada would start to die as it should. If the entire human race got out competed by some other species, then there's no reason for human race to survive. It's called natural selection. It has been happening for billions of years.

What aboriginals? There was no indigenous humans in North America. In fact, if you believe the scientists, there was no indigenous human being anywhere other than a small piece of land in Africa. We are all immigrants who moved to a certain place by our own free will. As we evolved, the stronger cultures survived, the weaker ones perished. This was true among the so called "indigenous people" as well and they didn't spend $60M so that the tribes they destroyed would continue to live comfortably. That how natural selection work with humans. That's how natural selection work with communities as well. The "profitable" communities strive, the "non profitable" communities die so that resources can be allocated to more profitable communities. It's not some god or strong man who decide who survives and who doesn't. It's nature and competition.

We didn't steal, we out competed them. We had better weapons, technologies and we had a more advanced culture that enabled a thing called science. Our science defeated their gods.

And do you honest believe that this wasn't true before we came? The "aboriginal" tribes have been killing others for centuries if not millenniums. When was the last time they showed any mercy towards the tribes they conquered?
Brilliant post.