Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes

Ram issues

having some problems with my new computer

i have a total of 8 gbs of ram (2 modules) and when i use both modules i get freezes when i load programs. And when i run prime95 it instantly freezes.

but when i only use 4gbs of ram (1 module) it runs perfectly fine and i can run prime95 perfectly

Mobo: GA-P67A-UD3P
Ram: http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Silverline/996770.aspx

i have already update my bios to the latest version and yes i am running a 64bit OS
14 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Do you have access to memtest86/memtest86+? I'd suggest you run a few cycles of that to see if it flags anything.

Best to try and isolate these problems down to the hardware itself, instead of trying to guess whether its a Windows problem, or a hardware problem.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1120 posts
85 upvotes
Run memtest86 as suggested above on each module separately, one at a time, to determine if you have a bad stick.

Are your clocks and timing at stock?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
everything is at stock i just put it together yesterday
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
ok so i booted into memtest and ran my full 8gb and around 46% it froze/crashed

trying individual modules now

i noticed that the mushkin ram isnt listed on the compatible ram list could that really be the issue
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
I assume you tried different ram slot combinations ....
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
just tried different slots and it wouldnt post
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
single sticks work perfectly fine just dual 4gb sticks don't work
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1120 posts
85 upvotes
Tainger wrote: single sticks work perfectly fine just dual 4gb sticks don't work

Are you putting them on different channels? i.e. Ch A_1 and Ch B_1 ?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
yeah I followed the image in the manual
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1120 posts
85 upvotes
I would try a few things in the order below:

In the BIOS make sure you have the correct voltage Vdimm set. It needs to be set to the same value as what is on the ram's label.

Test with another set of RAM (spare or exchange this one).

You might have bent some pins in the cpu socket, the only way to check this is taking out the cpu and using a flashlight and magnifying glass.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
make sure ram timings and voltages are the correct settings before running any tests.
also make sure the ram is in their color coded slots.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Tainger wrote: single sticks work perfectly fine just dual 4gb sticks don't work

Single sticks, as in, did you try both sticks one at a time in each slot? 1st stick on slot 1,2,3,4. 2nd stick on slot 1,2,3,4. That will probably narrow it down to either the stick or the mobo.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
rupert wrote: I would try a few things in the order below:

In the BIOS make sure you have the correct voltage Vdimm set. It needs to be set to the same value as what is on the ram's label.

Test with another set of RAM (spare or exchange this one).

You might have bent some pins in the cpu socket, the only way to check this is taking out the cpu and using a flashlight and magnifying glass.
voltage is defaulted at 1.5 volts which is what the ram operates at

i dont have any other ram to test with

i doubt i bent any pins but who knows

infamouskid wrote: make sure ram timings and voltages are the correct settings before running any tests.
also make sure the ram is in their color coded slots.

There are no colour coded slots on my board but in the manual it is labeled as which slots to fill first

ok so i ran memtest on windows with 1 x 4gb module and i left it on while i was out for about 4 hours. came back and found that my computer had crashed hmmm....

EDIT:: The crash was due to an "INTER_POWER_ERROR" blue screen from my computer going to hibernate

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)