• Jun 15th, 2019 10:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8805 posts
8927 upvotes

RAM Prices -- Q3/Q4 2019

@lincoln and I have corresponded on the expected continued glut in components input to RAM through 2019. Speculation abounds about the impact the Ryzen 3000 series will have on pricing for higher-spec RAM sticks, and the relative dearth of production in higher-spec input components.

Do you folks see a potential squeeze in the upper-end of the RAM market as first-movers gobble up Ryzen 3000 series inventory and look to pair it with comparably fast RAM?

I'm looking specifically at DDR4 3600Mhz to DDR4 4600Mhz spec.

Thoughts welcome.
10 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8805 posts
8927 upvotes
AMD's Ryzen 3000 series to support faster memory than previous generations

With Ryzen 3rd Generation, codenamed Matisse, AMD hopes to address these issues, with the company's early Zen 2 demos confirming the company's increased single threaded performance. Now, it looks like things are also getting fixed on the memory side, with recent leaks suggesting that AMD's Ryzen 3000 series of processors will support speeds of up to 4400MHz.

AMD's increase in baseline DDR4 performance is fantastic news for PC gamers, as 3200MHz DDR4 memory is practically guaranteed to work with Ryzen 3rd Generation processors. Faster speeds will be possible, though functionality will not be guaranteed. That said, 3200MHz memory was commonly used on Ryzen 1st and 2nd Generation processors, making it likely that at least 3466MHz and 3600MHz will be reasonably easy to achieve on Ryzen 3rd Generation processors [author's speculation].

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_ma ... erations/1
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7684 posts
2288 upvotes
Washington, DC
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 11:03 am
@lincoln and I have corresponded on the expected continued glut in components input to RAM through 2019. Speculation abounds about the impact the Ryzen 3000 series will have on pricing for higher-spec RAM sticks, and the relative dearth of production in higher-spec input components.

Do you folks see a potential squeeze in the upper-end of the RAM market as first-movers gobble up Ryzen 3000 series inventory and look to pair it with comparably fast RAM?

I'm looking specifically at DDR4 3600Mhz to DDR4 4600Mhz spec.

Thoughts welcome.
The original expectation was ram price recovery 2H 2019, now it is stabilization which basically means a slowing of the price declines.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1444 posts
401 upvotes
It is quite a bit more expensive and we don't know how much of an impact it will have on performance yet do we? AMD has addressed some of the issues in Zen 2 vs. earlier Ryzen CPUs that made faster memory impact system performance significantly, hasn't it?

Part of me wishes I hadn't already bought 16 gigs of simply OK CL-16 3200 MHz RAM already . . .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6547 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
I dare to dream the impossible dream, run my virtual machines off a RAM disk without it being a total fluster cuck.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Nov 1, 2015
229 posts
74 upvotes
BC
I didn't realize till today that prices had dropped. I paid around $210 for gskill 16gb trident rgb 3200mhz last December. Now its going for $139.
May 14, 2019
3 posts
Nites07 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 2:42 pm
I didn't realize till today that prices had dropped. I paid around $210 for gskill 16gb trident rgb 3200mhz last December. Now its going for $139.
maybe there's another version cooking up. Usually that's the case
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24420 posts
4670 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 8:17 pm
AMD's Ryzen 3000 series to support faster memory than previous generations

With Ryzen 3rd Generation, codenamed Matisse, AMD hopes to address these issues, with the company's early Zen 2 demos confirming the company's increased single threaded performance. Now, it looks like things are also getting fixed on the memory side, with recent leaks suggesting that AMD's Ryzen 3000 series of processors will support speeds of up to 4400MHz.
Yeah sure but if Zen 2 maintains the tradition of having craptastic RAM support, only like two sticks of 4400 RAM on the planet will even work at that speed and they must be forged in the Fires of Mount Doom to be precious enough and run on a motherboard with vibranium-based FETs. Others will not POST unless you run them at 3400 or some shit :lol:

Love how scAMD "hopes to address these issues". Is it supposed to be something special that 3200 RAM will be "practically guaranteed" to work? LMAO. So something that should have been fine to begin with, is now practically guaranteed. Should we be partying in the streets over this?

I mean maybe it will all be fine but this just seems lame and comical. As always with scAMD, never believe the hype; wait to see the reality.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3804 posts
716 upvotes
toalan wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 12:59 am
I dare to dream the impossible dream, run my virtual machines off a RAM disk without it being a total fluster cuck.
Any real world tests for running a VM off of ram disk is much faster than nvme? I've tested apps for running off a ram disk and sata ssd. No significant difference.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8805 posts
8927 upvotes
recordman wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:29 pm
Any real world tests for running a VM off of ram disk is much faster than nvme? I've tested apps for running off a ram disk and sata ssd. No significant difference.
It depends. If you're browsing ESPN on VM, it makes no difference, if you're moving GBs per second then the RAMdisk is far superior.