• Oct 15th, 2019 8:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1673 upvotes
Belle River

Which RAM for Ryzen 3800x?

I have a 3800x on an Gigabyte X570 i AORUS Pro WIFI (ITX) board. Can anyone recommend some RAM that will just work with those?

I went through a lot of hassle with first-gen Ryzen but with these latest I just trusted what people said and purchased that RAM thinking compatibility on Ryzen third-gen wasn't really a concern anymore. I got this RAM that was posted on RFD a couple times:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N43CYMS/

Turning on XMP fails to POST, I had to run it around 3600Mhz to make it work, but I still haven't tested that for stability.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1337 posts
935 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
hystavito wrote: I have a 3800x on an Gigabyte X570 i AORUS Pro WIFI (ITX) board. Can anyone recommend some RAM that will just work with those?

I went through a lot of hassle with first-gen Ryzen but with these latest I just trusted what people said and purchased that RAM thinking compatibility on Ryzen third-gen wasn't really a concern anymore. I got this RAM that was posted on RFD a couple times:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N43CYMS/

Turning on XMP fails to POST, I had to run it around 3600Mhz to make it work, but I still haven't tested that for stability.
Read up on this ram. People seem to have no issues with it and it works out of the box.
I'm not a computer guy but have been researching lately. I'm pretty sure it, or some type of Flare X ram was suggested on here before.
https://www.amazon.ca/G-SKILL-Flare-288 ... 193&sr=1-2
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wX7 ... quantity=4
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
This specific memory stick doesn't appear to be on Gigabyte's QVL. Check that as motherboard manufacturers for these specific kits ensure at minimum XMP timings.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... sse_v2.pdf

Have you updated the BIOS yet? If not, do so as that might solve some memory issues. Check stability with 3600, if its stable then you have at least a base. If you're willing to put in the time, you may have to manual tune the memory to get 3733 stable. This sadly can happen when the motherboard and memory stick doesn't play nice with one another. If that doesn't work, then hope the new AGESA 1.0.0.4 update improves memory optimization.
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1673 upvotes
Belle River
JeganV wrote: This specific memory stick doesn't appear to be on Gigabyte's QVL. Check that as motherboard manufacturers for these specific kits ensure at minimum XMP timings.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... sse_v2.pdf

Have you updated the BIOS yet? If not, do so as that might solve some memory issues. Check stability with 3600, if its stable then you have at least a base. If you're willing to put in the time, you may have to manual tune the memory to get 3733 stable. This sadly can happen when the motherboard and memory stick doesn't play nice with one another. If that doesn't work, then hope the new AGESA 1.0.0.4 update improves memory optimization.
I didn't check the QVL but when I purchased the RAM I didn't know which board I'd get. However even after purchasing the board it's difficult to actually buy RAM based on QVL, only way I can think to do it is search model numbers one by one until you find something that's available in Canada and at a reasonable price, even more difficult if you're looking for a decent deal. I did that with my first-gen Ryzen board and it was very tedious and most of the RAM wasn't feasible to purchase, either totally unavailable, not in Canada, or some super high price stock just sitting there. One set was an almost exact match but I could never get it to run at the stated speed and it was pretty unstable, another was an exact match did but the thing is still not 100% stable as it will occasionally freeze up requiring a power cycle. I swore off Ryzen actually but that damn 3900x/3800x Amazon fiasco pulled me back in :). I will have a shot at some of the model numbers in the QVL though, see what comes up.

Updating the BIOS I actually forgot about until earlier today, I'm gonna try that next. Then if it still can't get past 3600Mhz I may just test for stability and accept that speed as is.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
hystavito wrote: I didn't check the QVL but when I purchased the RAM I didn't know which board I'd get. However even after purchasing the board it's difficult to actually buy RAM based on QVL, only way I can think to do it is search model numbers one by one until you find something that's available in Canada and at a reasonable price, even more difficult if you're looking for a decent deal. I did that with my first-gen Ryzen board and it was very tedious and most of the RAM wasn't feasible to purchase, either totally unavailable, not in Canada, or some super high price stock just sitting there. One set was an almost exact match but I could never get it to run at the stated speed and it was pretty unstable, another was an exact match did but the thing is still not 100% stable as it will occasionally freeze up requiring a power cycle. I swore off Ryzen actually but that damn 3900x/3800x Amazon fiasco pulled me back in :). I will have a shot at some of the model numbers in the QVL though, see what comes up.

Updating the BIOS I actually forgot about until earlier today, I'm gonna try that next. Then if it still can't get past 3600Mhz I may just test for stability and accept that speed as is.
Hopefully the BIOS update does it. I know the early BIOSes were really wonky, my Crosshair VIII Hero wouldn't even post on the original BIOS...thankfully in this case I didn't have my 3900X on day 1.
- Jegan V
Jan 10, 2017
159 posts
142 upvotes
Before you update any BIOS. Check to see if you followed the recommended slots/bank for two sticks configuration on the manual of your motherboard.

Usually, it will suggest A2 and B2, together if only using two sticks or only B2 if only using one for it to detect XMP/D.O.C.P. Properly.

Try booting with one stick and see if it runs the rated speed. Goodluck!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1673 upvotes
Belle River
James8 wrote: Before you update any BIOS. Check to see if you followed the recommended slots/bank for two sticks configuration on the manual of your motherboard.

Usually, it will suggest A2 and B2, together if only using two sticks or only B2 if only using one for it to detect XMP/D.O.C.P. Properly.

Try booting with one stick and see if it runs the rated speed. Goodluck!
It's an ITX board with only 2 slots.

So BIOS update did get it to POST with XMP on, it's kinda funny this board has like 5 BIOS updates in 4 months :). Next step is to give it a good long memtest.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
hystavito wrote: It's an ITX board with only 2 slots.

So BIOS update did get it to POST with XMP on, it's kinda funny this board has like 5 BIOS updates in 4 months :). Next step is to give it a good long memtest.
Ryzen 3rd gen has had a few AGESA updates already but at least 1 of the BIOS updates specifically had to do with the game Destiny 2 not working at all with 3rd gen Ryzen. There's at least one more coming to coincide with the 3950X's release, MSI claims 100 improvements with AGESA 1.0.0.4, over the current AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA. I think most X570 boards are on at least 4 bios updates.
- Jegan V

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)