Personal Finance

Random collection file on my Equifax - FROM WORLD GYM.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 12:00 pm
May 16, 2017
702 posts
689 upvotes
Nexus313 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 6:31 pm
OK - Going to try to work with the manager in that case, if not cooperative then I will file claim via equifax as another user stated. I never received sh*t in writing as a 30 day notice.
The ONLY notice THEY are required to provide you is of a change in the monthly rate. YOU have to provide, in-person, written notice if you want to terminate that contract.

Yes, terrible terms that should be (and maybe are) unenforceable.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2018
31 posts
3 upvotes
*sigh*

honestly I could care less about the 2-300$ they are asking for.. I just want my credit back to normal! :(
Jul 3, 2002
217 posts
54 upvotes
File a request with BBB. If the gym cares about their BBB rating, they may deal with you there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9928 posts
1340 upvotes
Toronto
I always wondered with things like this, could you type of some cancellation notice, date it for way back and sign it then send that off to the credit reporting agencies and say look, there was my proof, these guys are just scammers?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
Unfortunately this is the fundamental business model of most gyms: scam people into signing unclear agreements that go on billing them long after they quit coming, and then make it almost impossible to cancel. The are well aware that people generally sign up for a gym membership on an impulse, and then want to quit as soon as the enthusiasm fades.

What everyone should question is the credibility of credit rating agencies that accept delinquency reports from these scammers as a meaningful contribution to a credit rating.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2017
2538 posts
1019 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
it's as simply as sending a dispute saying unaware of this collection or "wrong person".....
I am being targeted over Internet Relay Chat. Please help me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5492 posts
4593 upvotes
Here on earth
dekvitaly wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 2:05 pm
it's as simply as sending a dispute saying unaware of this collection or "wrong person".....
This would work if the collection wasn’t legit, but as already noted in this thread, it is legit.
OP would be wasting his time disputing this debt.
So no, it’s not as “simply” as you think.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1340 posts
547 upvotes
That's the primary reason I no longer use private gyms, and only use city gyms, which uses a pre-paid model. (i.e. pay a year and get a discount) The service at private gyms are pretty good, but the business practices are terrible.
Oct 29, 2018
256 posts
131 upvotes
Wow the world gym is still around? All their locations are such shitholes.
May 16, 2017
702 posts
689 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 7:39 pm
Unfortunately this is the fundamental business model of most gyms: scam people into signing unclear agreements that go on billing them long after they quit coming, and then make it almost impossible to cancel. The are well aware that people generally sign up for a gym membership on an impulse, and then want to quit as soon as the enthusiasm fades.

What everyone should question is the credibility of credit rating agencies that accept delinquency reports from these scammers as a meaningful contribution to a credit rating.
Or the naivete of people that sign contracts without reading or understanding them. Credit rating agencies are clearly neither consumer protection organisations nor moral guardians of business. They report legally valid debt and credit occurences. It is up to the gov't to deal with consumer protection relating to unconscionable contract provisions. And in fact, the contract in this case apparently complies with all the proper disclosures and notices - if only the consumer had bothered to read it.