Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3692 posts
473 upvotes
Oakville

Rant - the cheapness of some people

So recently I posted that i would split an item purchased (the deal was for 8 i only needed 2) and I had various people message me. I can't believe some people out there would offer you LESS than you paid for a brand new item when you're trying to help them out. On top of that asking if I can deliver to their house. WTF? The nerve of people. Sorry just wanted to rent. needless to say the person that asked all of these I've since blocked after telling them how pathetic I thought this was.
11 Bell Lines w/ 180GB shared, Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes (2 with Unlimited N.A Calling & Roaming) $720 / month ($65.45 each, 16.36gb each shared)
14 replies
Sep 2, 2017
231 posts
117 upvotes
Canada
agreed op, some people are so cheap sometimes. gotta avoid and ignore these psychos - they dont follow general logic and cannot be reasoned with Disappointed Face
Jan 4, 2010
252 posts
70 upvotes
Waterloo
yeah I have to deal with a bunch of those people on kijiji, I used to reply but now I just ignore them.
They think that because they are on RFD or Kijiji they could lowball all they want. Yes it's a place for deals but it doesn't mean you can rob people.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9076 posts
3520 upvotes
Toronto
and all these cheapo's making over 100k annually.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4677 posts
213 upvotes
The worst is when a long time member lowballs you even though your OP lists all the terms (price is firm, pickup only, no offers)...
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
May 7, 2008
539 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah which is why I just put a few dollars more than I expect to receive. I would call it the fine art of haggling but these cheapos even try to haggle $5.

Them: "Hey man - c'mon it's only five bucks"
Me: "Yeah so, if it's only five bucks then you can give it to me, right?"
(usually shuts them up)

On principle nowadays, when I meet people and they try to short me - I just walk away and let them know in no uncertain terms that they've wasted my time and theirs. Only one guy didn't pay up fully. Every other buyer ponied up the agreed upon price.

Never meet people exactly where they want is another strategy - make them expend some effort, otherwise it's easy for them to walk away.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9076 posts
3520 upvotes
Toronto
oh and love it when they pull up in an expensive car but still trying to lowball you. hahaha.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13080 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto
Being cheap is how people accumulate the funds for expensive cars, homes, etc. Spend big on some items, spend cheaply on others.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3692 posts
473 upvotes
Oakville
audit13 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:49 am
Being cheap is how people accumulate the funds for expensive cars, homes, etc. Spend big on some items, spend cheaply on others.
Being frugal(not cheap) is how people accumulate the funds for expensive things the example of being cheap I gave in the OP is how people show they're some what of a j*****s
11 Bell Lines w/ 180GB shared, Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes (2 with Unlimited N.A Calling & Roaming) $720 / month ($65.45 each, 16.36gb each shared)
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13080 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto
Frugal and cheap are used interchangeably by some, not by others.

Some people see my behaviour as cheapness while others see my behaviour as frugality. I am cheap and frugal :)
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
I've had a few people try to haggle with me on items and then ask me to deliver to them. I just laugh and point them to Amazon or ignore them. Give an inch, take a mile.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4160 posts
1244 upvotes
The reality is that there are many people today who now flip for a living/side income.

There are also a lot of people that come from a place where haggling is expected/almost an art form.

That's why you should overprice your items at first and expect to come down.