• Jun 8th, 2016 12:19 am
Tags:
None
Oct 21, 2014
18 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Rant] Package left at door and got lost

Last month I shipped a pair of headphones (US$165, under warranty) to the manufacturer for repair. I got a email notification from FedEX when the company shipped the item back to me (even though on their repair instruction webpage it says "Repairs will be returned to the customer by UPS"). A week later I still haven't received anything so I checked the tracking again and found the package was "left at front door. Signature Service not requested". I then contacted FedEX. After looking into this they said the package was lost and told me to ask the shipper to file a claim. I contacted the shipper, stated what happened and requested them to file a claim (That's it. I didn't question them for not putting signature requirement or blame them for anything). I got this email today replied by their service manager:

"You said in your email below your received the tracking number in the shipment notification. Why did you wait so long to track the package? Unfortunately, we don’t put signature required on shipments under a certain dollar amount. I have contacted FED EX and will file a claim. Please stand by."

They didn't even bother to say "sorry to hear about that" or anything. I know it is my problem for waiting one week after to check the tracking, but that's really not the cause of the loss I think? I have never had this happen to me before, and I online shop a lot. Most of my packages come through UPS or CP, neither would just leave things at door (I live on a busy street, anyone can just grab the package and go). Now with this attitude I received from the manufacturer I am speechless. Is there anything I could do at this stage? What can I expect later on?

Thanks for bearing with my rant btw...
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
I think you shouldn't read so much into it - some companies do not have great staff responding to the emails and end up giving responses that can be read negatively. Without seeing your email I cannot really speculate why they responded how they did, however it seems that asking you why you took so long to track the package is irrelevant and more a result of the customer service person providing their personal input and not the company input.
May 11, 2011
376 posts
470 upvotes
Vancouver
Since you live on a busy street, sign up with ups and other carriers to have packages picked up st their offices instead of left at the door.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6949 posts
7522 upvotes
BC
UPS leaves things on my doorstep more often than not. Canada Post will as well sometimes, but they have flex delivery where you can have it left at the post office for pickup. I think if the package was taken from your doorstep, you may be SOL as their commitment has been completed if no signature is required.
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
New employee or just someone without social skills. Maybe they were trying to have a bit of banter with you like you were at there service desk, that doesn't go over so good in email. So, don't read so much into it.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2337 upvotes
Ottawa
Sometimes, if I know I won't be home, and I don't want it left at the door, I just put a sticky note on the door saying "Attn: UPS / Canada Post Agent, Please do not safe drop"

For all of these, they just come back another day :)
Feb 1, 2015
910 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Then apologizing is an admission of guilt on their part. I wouldn't either

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)