Travel

RANT: Pearson terminal 1 -- what a crock!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2005 9:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2349 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto

RANT: Pearson terminal 1 -- what a crock!

So, I picked up my wife and her mother Yester from a week in Cuba.
I have never been in Terminal one before, so I was expecting something approaching a "state of the art" modern airport.

Well...

It took them about 90 minutes to get off the plane at terminal 1, get "bussed" to the gate, and go through customs -- where they were waived through without even so much as a question about what they brought back with them.

Not to mention the huge crowd in front of the "only" reception area they have for international flights. Now this was a Saturday afternoon and there was a flight coming in about every 15-20 minutes.

Then there's the short-term parking. Have you ever tried to get off the arrivals level to get to the parking garage? YOU CAN'T You have to go up to the departures level to get to the parking garage? WTF???

Their experience at T1 on the flight over there wasn't much better. While they were there well before the check-in time, they couldn't believe the disorganization and chaos surrounding the check-in process.

So this is what our ridiculously inflated airport fees are paying for?

It doesn't surprise me why people try to avoid Pearson when flying anywhere and travelling to Buffalo. (Mind you, if you're flying to Cuba, there really isn't much choice now, is there?)

Thanks, I feel much better now.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14383 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
Ummm..its not finished yet.
The buses are a temporary measure. I'm sure your wife could see where they have torn down the old terminal - u pass by it when you're on the bus.
Check in is much easier than it used to be...I was just at T1 in May for a trip to Bermuda.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1502 posts
41 upvotes
Maple
I got back yesterday from a European trip, and had the (dis)pleasure of landing at T1 also.. had to go through the same stuff as you mentioned... the busing from the temporary terminal, etc.
You'd think that by the time you get off the plane, and 10 minute busride, and going through customs etc, that your luggage would be just about ready... but no... after all that, we still had to wait about 30 minutes for our luggage to finally show up! (For the whole plane, not just for us).

Signs indicate completion of international terminal in 2007 - hopefully that will help a bit.
Dec 17, 2003
722 posts
6 upvotes
it's going to end up being really awesome though.
http://www.msafdie.com/a.html
Click on projects, by project type, and then transportation to see some pics.

The font on the gate LED signs really struck me as being cool.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
thx4the warning..

oh what a shame it would b if u didnt get ur message across to the GTAA...

oh what a shame indeed
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb

If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.

Hot deal?

:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2002
1526 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Same here. I waited 2 hrs for my luggage right when we got out of the plane.

This was a year ago roughly.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14383 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
Immortal wrote:Same here. I waited 2 hrs for my luggage right when we got out of the plane.

This was a year ago roughly.
yea yea yea...

I waited 2.5hrs in Athens , we were the only jet on the tarmac.
every 5 minutes, 5 more bags came out.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
Just came back from Europe, arriving at the Infield terminal for international flights. Almost the same experience waiting more than an hour to get bussed to customs at the main terminal. At that time, 3 other wide body aircraft (a B747, A340, B767) also arrived. Each of those aircraft are capable of holding at least 200 passengers, so there were at least 700+ people waiting for the bus. Since most of these passengers have just flown 8+ hours, so tempers flared as the pushing and shoving occured each time an empty bus arrived.

Once you get to customs, most of the agents are students, so they ask the stupidest questions.

Agent: Where are you coming from?
Me: Italy
Agent: Where did you stay?
Me: a hotel
Agent: Do you have the reservations with you?
Me: no
Agent: Why not?
(uhhhh duhhh, I'm going home)

It would have been quicker and less frustrating to connect in YUL, or even the US instead of flying the YYZ non-stop. I guess this is their way of raising more revenue from the parking garage.
Banned
May 23, 2005
3038 posts
...over here!
On a positive note - I really enjoyed some of the artwork and historical displays - I especially liked the moving sculpture piece called "Earthbound... Unbound 2003" - with clear blocks slowly tumbling in a large liquid tank...

:)
"You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note." -Doug Floyd
Apr 20, 2003
631 posts
15 upvotes
yeah the buses are temp. soon they will have a train interconnecting the terminals, T1 spends 1 million on construction a day, thats the average I heard from somewhere, I remember my first time going in, it was NICE, but I work there so it looks repetitive.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
3007 posts
221 upvotes
Vancouver
mlc2000 wrote:yea yea yea...

I waited 2.5hrs in Athens , we were the only jet on the tarmac.
every 5 minutes, 5 more bags came out.
Give them a break. It takes time to rifle through your luggage.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
BoxsterS wrote:Give them a break. It takes time to rifle through your luggage.
they should not be going through your bags after you've arrived.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6273 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
On the other hand, the Maple Leaf Lounge @ T1 is one of the better AC lounges around. Spacious and comfy. Lots of space to lie down. Internet access. Endless supply of food & drinks. Only second to the Lufthansa lounge in Frankfurt.