Food & Drink

Rant: Since when did McDonald's start charging for extra nugget sauce?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2011 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Rant: Since when did McDonald's start charging for extra nugget sauce?

It's been awhile since I've gone to McPuke's. Got a 9-pack of nuggets and asked for an extra bbq sauce. They wanted to charge me another 10 cents. WTF? When the hell did this start happening?

I would expect this from an Asian fast food place but McDonald's? Have they really become that desperate to fatten up profit margins?
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9149 posts
613 upvotes
Coroporate stores don't charge, but franchises do (for the most part).

For the 10 piece, don't you get up to 3 sauces? I dunno... I know people have posted many times in this forum and Shopping Discusion forum too. Try doing a search.
Feb 10, 2008
496 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 9th, 2011 1:29 pm
Coroporate stores don't charge, but franchises do (for the most part).

+1

I remember they charged extra 25 years ago so this is nothing new.

Used to be 1 sauce for 6 pack, 2 for a 10 (used to be 9) pack, and three for a 20 pack.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3115 posts
259 upvotes
Aurora
I've never run across that before. Don't tell me they charge for extra ketchup as well?

OT, but I've noticed at Swiss Challet, if you eat in the dining room you can ask for as many dipping sauces as you want but if you order take out, they charge 50c for each extra.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6221 posts
1214 upvotes
Scarborough
Some do this with the veg toppings (i.e. lettuce, tomatoes, etc) on the burger as well. All over the map. Some places give them for free. Also been charged 0.10, 0.15, or 0.20 per extra topping depending on the place.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6705 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I like mcds nugs, but wendys ones absolutely demo them (and are cheaper I think). If you get 2 5 piece ones they are $1.89 each, rather then a 10 piece for like $4.49 or something (pretty dumb!)

The spicy buffalo sauce is unreal too!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2699 posts
72 upvotes
Etobicoke
pay with debit then ask for more sauce when you get your food. when they ask you for 10 cents for sauce, say "i paid with debit i'll be charged" and show them the receipt. they give it you for free...always works
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
diggler649 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2011 1:24 pm
It's been awhile since I've gone to McPuke's. Got a 9-pack of nuggets and asked for an extra bbq sauce. They wanted to charge me another 10 cents. WTF? When the hell did this start happening?

I would expect this from an Asian fast food place but McDonald's? Have they really become that desperate to fatten up profit margins?

were the nuggets filled with puke? or were the sauce containers filled with puke?
you expect asian fast food places to charge you extra money for soy sauce and hot sauce packets?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Oct 3, 2009
271 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver downtown 1993.

I hadn't seen them charge anywhere else since then though.
Oct 3, 2009
271 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver downtown 1993.

I hadn't seen them charge anywhere else since then though.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote:
Sep 9th, 2011 1:59 pm
OT, but I've noticed at Swiss Challet, if you eat in the dining room you can ask for as many dipping sauces as you want but if you order take out, they charge 50c for each extra.

That's because the server is hoping that you'll remember the cheerful, free extra sauce when it's tip time. Same with most restaurants, within reason the server will bring you small extras (breads, sauces, substitute items) for free, when I'm sure they could charge for them if they wanted to. With takeout there's no incentive to give out freebies, with the possible exception of smaller operations where the person is or knows the owner and therefore cares whether or not you will come back.
Jan 13, 2004
969 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
windforcexx28 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 3:16 pm
They always did.

/thread
They always charge but I never pay for it, I just ask at the second window and they just throw it in the bag and don't charge.
Aug 27, 2004
585 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
My hometown McD's has been charging for extra sauce for about 25 years.
It is a franchisee-owned store.
Former Know-It-All
× < >