None
[OP]
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3157 upvotes
Calgary

Raspberry Pi

Anyone buying a Raspberry Pi here in Canada? Basically, in a nutshell, its an entire computer on a credit-card sized printed circuit board, with 1080p HDMI output, a Broadcom SoC, 256mb RAM, and usually would run Linux off of a SD card. It has tons of GPIO pins, so you can do lots of nifty data acquisition or control projects with it. Costs about $40 or so.

Or am I the only RFD'er geeky enough to think about this? :lol:
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
800 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4934 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mark77 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 10:17 am
Anyone buying a Raspberry Pi here in Canada? Basically, in a nutshell, its an entire computer on a credit-card sized printed circuit board, with 1080p HDMI output, a Broadcom SoC, 256mb RAM, and usually would run Linux off of a SD card. It has tons of GPIO pins, so you can do lots of nifty data acquisition or control projects with it. Costs about $40 or so.

I've already ordered a couple. I work with professors at a certain college that experiment with them.
York Region is best region!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34266 posts
6250 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:

Is there already a developer forum out there for this? Another thread opened up and there are hundreds of perusers. :)

Keep us abreast of the pi's developments.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8837 posts
118 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:

I, like probably the majority of the RFD users, see that it is a nice $40 XBMC media player :)

Geeker RFD members would've gone for an arduino :)

Nerdier RFD members woud've already been dabbling with Freescale, PIC or Atmel MCUs.

Geniuses would've already implemented something amazing with FPGAs :)
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
Where will they be available in Canada? I can only find them in the UK.

Very interesting project!
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3301 posts
141 upvotes
There's a couple perhaps three different XBMC builds going on atm for the Rasberry Pi
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=113824 with slightly different thoughts... one an appliance like device, the other a full blown linux computer with XBMC installed... There is more than one version with a net connection and without. You could really stuff this inside a TV, which makes me think that perhaps industry is getting a free ride here.

Slash has a bit more info and a video http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/0 ... lashdot%29
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
388 upvotes
Scarborough
Akraz wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 2:04 pm
I've already ordered a couple. I work with professors at a certain college that experiment with them.

Did I see you at the launch last week? I popped down from the TEL lab for 15 min.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3975 posts
245 upvotes
good on seneca...now don't sell out to the man!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3301 posts
141 upvotes
I'll wait on this until Canadians can get around the absurd customs and shipping costs associated. As a raw board, and in the interests of R&D Canadians should have the rights to import this duty and tax free. Valued at $30.. in your hands the cost approaches the WDTV live device, currently clearing for $99 just about everywhere.

No question XBMC on a cheap board is attractive... but less so as the price breaks a hundred dollars.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
ah802 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2012 5:07 pm
I'll wait on this until Canadians can get around the absurd customs and shipping costs associated. As a raw board, and in the interests of R&D Canadians should have the rights to import this duty and tax free. Valued at $30.. in your hands the cost approaches the WDTV live device, currently clearing for $99 just about everywhere.

No question XBMC on a cheap board is attractive... but less so as the price breaks a hundred dollars.

for most people, this is a cool concept and they buy it for that, not so much the cost. cost always rises when an early adopter
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3301 posts
141 upvotes
totheh8ters wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2012 6:27 pm
for most people, this is a cool concept and they buy it for that, not so much the cost. cost always rises when an early adopter
I'll save the cool.. to well heeled sunglasses. I'm trying to sniff out a Canadian source... consider some of the development is on home turf, you would think a distributor would make some offerings...
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2774 posts
293 upvotes
Montreal
Mark77 wrote:

I would love to review it for my site. I didn't get around to asking for a review sample though.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8633 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
Wonder how long before people will make custom cases for this (or, maybe already done). Case will probably cost more than the unit :)
How long will it run on AA batteries???
× < >